Evo Crashes into a parked M3 at Spa.

fizzbitt

I know some of you went to Spa this weekend gone so you may have already seen/heard about this but man.. what on earth was he thinking?

Power is nothing without control and boy did that evo driver try to drift beyond his limits in the damp!

Why on earth would you attempt such a manouver when you have no idea what your doing and are risking other people as well as their cars?

Im also presuming that the bmw driver wont have a leg to stand on if the evo owner doesnt offer to pay for the repaires to the M3 driver.

The attitude on the MLR is shocking aswell. Posts along the lines of - Sh*t happens. It's a trackday incident, leave it at that. If you don't want marks on the car leave it in the garage.

The original thread was also deleted. I guess to protect the evo driver in some way. I bet things would be different if the M3 driver had hit the Evo.

Sh*t happens, that's why you have an indemnity form and insurance, and as annoyed as the M3 dude must be, that's life. I've got a pic of the Evo patched up in the carpark afterwards somewhere.

I saw an Impreza spin on precisely the same spot on the day, I saw a Beetle (single-make race jobby) spin on precisely the same spot, and there were others too I'm sure. He wasn't giving it the beans either I just think he was unlucky. There was an oil spill on the exit of Rivage that caught a few out too, no cameras up there though.

If anyone wants someone to blame, blame the Spa Marshalls (or lack of), there was no-one ahead of La Source to warn drivers of accidents at the exit and Marshalls would wave folks out without knowing/seeing if the exit to the pit lane (around the corner) was clear.

There were FAR too many cars there which took the edge off the day for many of us, me included.

Sh*t happens, that's why you have an indemnity form and insurance, and as annoyed as the M3 dude must be, that's life. I've got a pic of the Evo patched up in the carpark afterwards somewhere.

I saw an Impreza spin on precisely the same spot on the day, I saw a Beetle (single-make race jobby) spin on precisely the same spot, and there were others too I'm sure. He wasn't giving it the beans either I just think he was unlucky. There was an oil spill on the exit of Rivage that caught a few out too, no cameras up there though.

If anyone wants someone to blame, blame the Spa Marshalls (or lack of), there was no-one ahead of La Source to warn drivers of accidents at the exit and Marshalls would wave folks out without knowing/seeing if the exit to the pit lane (around the corner) was clear.

There were FAR too many cars there which took the edge off the day for many of us, me included.

If that is the case then yes the marshalls or lack of needs addressing but i still think the driver doesnt even look to counter steer into the slide at all. And yes its easy for me to say and everyone is different. Maybe he froze or something.

Either way you gotta feel for the M3 owner.

It's simple really, whoever is at fault is irrelevant, if you want to protect your shiny metal on a track day, make sure you have first party cover.

I run with neither first nor third party cover, as my car isn't worth much, if I was to make a mistake and prang some elses car, hard cheese, fix it yourself as you'll not see a penny out of me, those are the risks of trackdays.

Well it couldn't necessarily have been avoided as such, and I also think there was some poor driving involved (not saying I'd have been any better, just ask Tipex about our time on the 'ring!!) and if I were the M3 driver I'd be doing my nut, but it's a trackday and that's why you sign the forms.

Well it couldn't necessarily have been avoided as such, and I also think there was some poor driving involved (not saying I'd have been any better, just ask Tipex about our time on the 'ring!!) and if I were the M3 driver I'd be doing my nut, but it's a trackday and that's why you sign the forms.

Nahh i was chatting about a hypothetical situation in response to Tipex saying its tough titties if he hits somone on track.

Precisely. The 'normal' kind of liability you have on the roads goes out the window on track. If you're taking your car on track and can't afford to fix it yourself make sure you have insurance to pay for damage to your car - irrespective of who you think caused it.

The Evo crash looks like he over cooked it in damp conditions and expected his anti yaw control to bring it back - hence no apparent attempt to steer into it. That's the trouble with these 4wd playstation rally cars - you can fall into the trap of expecting the car's technology to get you out of any problem, so you stop doing what should come naturally (like trying to counter the slide).

A similar Evo 'let go' in front of me at Spa last year, utterly bizarre moment, just whazzed off into the scenery for no discerable reason. I guess there's not much feedback from these things ? Haven't driven one, they don't float my boat in any way. No-one died, lets move on...

Here's a pic I was forwarded from a shunt at the 'ring shortly after we went round in on Sunday morning, looks like it was taken by Wopp's lot acc to the file name ? No amount of insurance/disclaimer will put this right... :(

nordschleife100529.jpg

Is that blanket covering up a body?

Looks like just the headrest to me and there aren't any seats in the back. Maybe covering blood though. TBH I don't want to know. Hate that anyone is driving hard/ stupid enough to have life threatening accidents. Accidental spills are always inevitable and maming is fine, but worse is beyond worth it IMO.

A similar Evo 'let go' in front of me at Spa last year, utterly bizarre moment, just whazzed off into the scenery for no discerable reason. I guess there's not much feedback from these things ? Haven't driven one, they don't float my boat in any way. No-one died, lets move on...

Here's a pic I was forwarded from a shunt at the 'ring shortly after we went round in on Sunday morning, looks like it was taken by Wopp's lot acc to the file name ? No amount of insurance/disclaimer will put this right... :(

nordschleife100529.jpg

that incident happened seconds before i came over the crest. I was about the 5th car behind the crash! I had to slam on the brakes to stop myself from hitting the stationary car in front, which was fdine with my brakes, the worry was the next car behind me going to stop!

the crash was as bad as it looks here. i didn't see bodies however heard there were air lifts to the hospital and was a bad situation. I was scared of the ring before the event but even more worried now. I would do it again as the road is fantastic, however TDO'd day would be preferable.

Very selfish driving from the evo if you ask me. it happened because he was showing off and didnt fully understand how to handle the car. The M3 looked like it was poodling out the pits and not getting in the way at all. I didnt see it happen but was stuck in the Q at the pitlane. Saw the Evo dribbling back towards the ferry 2 up.

I don't think the evo driver was showing off, I think he just lost it in the damp conditions, easily done and could happen to any of us.

And is exactly the reason we do track days, to find our, and our cars limits.

It's sad the M3 got caught up in it, but that's what can happen on track days, and is clearly laid out in the disclaimer you sign before going on track.

I can't afford to replace an M3 so I don't drive one on track, I can afford to replace a 2k scoob so that's what I track, I have no illusions of someone else replacing my car if they crash into me, and have no intention of replacing anyones car I might crash into, and wouldn't feel guilty at all, as that's the risk you take on track.

Tipex, i agree you sign your life away before a track day and it is naive to assume anything different but in this case it would be a mighty kick in the balls to have this happen. The way the evo driver was feathering the throttle it makes me think he is showing off. An evo is not that hard to manage and unless he had foot spasms there is no need to drive like that.

Of course im only talking about what i saw in the vid. could be totally off the ball and dont want to start a forum vendetta!