A few questions about RNS-E ('04 A4 B6 Avant)

I've had loads of French crap in the past, but I've just bought a 2004 Audi A4 Avant 130TDi Sport. I'm over the moon with it. The difference between it and my previous cars is night and day.

Anyway, the car I bought has a single DIN concert head unit and I would like to upgrade to RNS-E. I've done some searching and some reading but I'm getting confused about what's required so I was hoping someone could help me out with some answers or links.

1. What version/year of RNS-E should I be looking for?
  2. I've read that I need to trim down the environmental controls, can anyone point me in the direction of some instructions?
  3. What wiring harnesses/adapters will I need?
  4. Are the units on ebay from Lithuania and Latvia ok?
  5. I would also need the Bluetooth module, is this an easy add-on?
  6. Is getting the dash display to work with RNS-E simply a job for vagcom?
  7. Does the RNS-E have any USB connectivity, ie; for a hard drive or usb stick?
  8. From what I've seen around I should be looking at spending around £500. Is that realistic?

I've had loads of French crap in the past, but I've just bought a 2004 Audi A4 Avant 130TDi Sport. I'm over the moon with it. The difference between it and my previous cars is night and day.

Anyway, the car I bought has a single DIN concert head unit and I would like to upgrade to RNS-E. I've done some searching and some reading but I'm getting confused about what's required so I was hoping someone could help me out with some answers or links.

1. What version/year of RNS-E should I be looking for? One from a A4/S4 B6 or B7 Platform (Has the silver trim that runs along the bottom)
  2. I've read that I need to trim down the environmental controls, can anyone point me in the direction of some instructions? This is because they sit lower down. Its a case of very carefully sanding down till they fit. Cover in masking tape to protect whilst modding.
  3. What wiring harnesses/adapters will I need? You will need an ISO to quadlock connector, some vary due to bose etc.
  4. Are the units on ebay from Lithuania and Latvia ok? As always a gamble, check feedback history of seller but they work in Uk
  5. I would also need the Bluetooth module, is this an easy add-on? Not too hard, loom plus coding to unit. Works well.
  6. Is getting the dash display to work with RNS-E simply a job for vagcom? Yes
  7. Does the RNS-E have any USB connectivity, ie; for a hard drive or usb stick? No, not sure if you can get add on's to provide USB.
  8. From what I've seen around I should be looking at spending around £500. Is that realistic? Should be, quite a variation on the selling costs.

Questions answered! You will also need a double DIN cage and to cut down your centre console to accomodate the new cage.

I have done the same install in my old B6 I had so happy to assist as required.

Questions answered! You will also need a double DIN cage and to cut down your centre console to accomodate the new cage.

I have done the same install in my old B6 I had so happy to assist as required.

That's fantastic, thanks mate. You may well get some more questions from me in a few weeks if I deceide to go ahead with the install.

Does the A4 RNS-E have the card reader on the front? What is the largest size card that can be used with it?