Which backup suite?

Sponge

I'm using the built-in app of Windows 7 and it's been fine for my main PC, but I want a more powerful and customisable (is that a word?) app for making images of drives and backing up my NAS.

I'm using a free trial of Acronis True Image and it seems quite easy to use and ticks all the boxes, but it'll be $59.49 inc the Plus pack! Is this my best option? Any alternatives out there you can recommend?

Thanks. +++

The WD version of Acronis doesn't allow the backup of files & folders, it's drives & partitions only.

I've been searching the usual places, but there are too many reports of installation problems. I may have to splash out and buy the software. :eek:

Everything seems to be going wrong with my PCs at the moment:

My NAS is flaky to say the least. I've just replaced drive 2 of 4 to now find drive 3 has dropped out for no reason, become a spare, but won't allow me to add it (says it's already a member of a RAID).

My main PC is fubar after uninstalling WD's Acronis last night - windows files are corrupt and it won't start. Using the W7 disc, Repair won't work and neither will the backup/image I've been religiously making (using Window's backup) every week for months.

And this morning I find my laptop rebooted during the night (see other thread) and the copying of several hundred GBs of data failed. 8 hours wasted.

I feel like I'm banging my head against a wall. Maybe I should buy a MAC.

Edited by Sponge

I've just been trying to restore my main PC using the backup files and system image that Windows creates using it's inbuilt application - what a complete waste of time!

I knew this would happen. I have never had any success with system restore points or backups generated by Windows. Why did I expect this time to be any different?

It's restored my OS drive, C:, but at the same time totally wipe 2 other drives in the process. Drives with home movies on. They're backed up elsewhere, so I can restore them, but I shouldn't have to!

Prior to this, I tried physically disconnecting the extra drives so that Windows Repair/Restore would leave them alone, but it wouldn't work without them attached. I tried de-selecting them during the process, but it was failing and said I had to have the same number/type of HDDs attached during recovery as I did during the backup process.

I had no choice but to continue and hope it left D: and E: drives alone. It didn't. Totally wiped. They were supposed to be part of the Windows backup. :ffs:

Edited by Sponge

Sounds like you need to get hold of a simple "bare metal" image solution pronto. Every month or so run from bootdisk to sep disk. Problem solved. Ghost or Acronis earlier versions out there for little or no money. Bootime solves virtually all compatibility issues, only ones I truly trust TBH.

I installed GFI Backup (Free) this morning, about 10am-ish and I've been backing up my network drives to a USB HDD all day. There's still nearly 8hrs to go!

It seems to do what the other trial software did, but it's free. Which is good. :grin:

As soon as that is finished I'll make another backup to another source (maybe this laptop), ready to throw my NAS's array out and start again. Hopefully a 'reset to factory' will solve some problems.

Finished. :coffee:

6:20:28 AM Start Time: 6/11/2010 10:32:08 AM

6:20:28 AM End Time: 6/12/2010 6:20:28 AM

6:20:28 AM Total execution time: 19:48:20 hours

6:20:28 AM Files processed: 95441

6:20:28 AM Total Size: 667.79 GB

6:20:28 AM VSS snapshot creation time: 01 second(s).

6:20:28 AM Pre-processing time: 11:17 minute(s)

6:20:28 AM Transfer time: 19:36:59 hours

6:20:28 AM VSS snapshot destruction time: 02 second(s).

6:20:28 AM Transferred Files: 95442

6:20:28 AM Transferred Data: 667.79 GB

6:20:28 AM Transfer Speed: 9.68 MB/s

6:20:28 AM Status: Backup task Finished Successfully!

6:20:28 AM Since Create Date (6/11/2010 10:29:26 AM) this task was run 1 times.

This external USB drive is just so slow. Would I see much of a speed increase if I bought an eSATA dock for a bare drive (2TB) I have sat here and used that instead?

Now to do it all again, somewhere different. I'm making sure I've got several backups now.

Finished. :coffee:

This external USB drive is just so slow. Would I see much of a speed increase if I bought an eSATA dock for a bare drive (2TB) I have sat here and used that instead?

Now to do it all again, somewhere different. I'm making sure I've got several backups now.

Yes deff much quicker on eSata but just be careful on speeds! Do you already have an external eSata port? If you do great but careful buying and specifying internal eSata cards and what exp slot you use as speeds vary dramatically between pci, pci express / 32.

Or wait for USB 3!!! Not sure what is out there at the moment but can't be long now!!

This laptop has eSATA, so I could use that. I did the recent USB backup using this laptop, I just wired it up to the network rather than do it wirelessly. Transfer speeds were 50% quicker.

As for my desktop, I'd have to get a PCI card for that. I think I have another thread discussing those. :grin:

USB 3...might have to look into that. +++