MPG tests!!??

cruiser647

According to Auto Express............ testing, you don't need the expense, additional weight, compromises and less green credentials to achieve superb MPG!

The Results... | Car Group Tests | Car Reviews | Auto Express

Have to hand it to Ford and BMW here. Fantastic results for the Ford (:ffs: IMHO) and the BMW! +++

Look at the BMW 3 v Audi A4 difference in MPG terms :eek:!

I know they are simulated tests!

It is quite amazing that you can get almost 80mpg out of a modern vehicle.. the trouble is that it's just so boring.

i haven't owned a car in the last decade, (in fact, ever i think) that has done more than 30mpg. Maybe it's time for a rethink? :confused:

If I could get anywhere near those in a car i'd save a fortune on petrol, £60 a week is about average for me, if you can half that it's £1500 saving per year however how much more do these models cost?

Even over 3 years that's less than 5k you probably pay more in the first instance and they're less fun to drive for those 3 years...

The holy grail of 'eco' cars still doesn't exist, whatever the tests show, the real world mpg is never anything like as good, or every cabbie in the country would be driving it.

Prius's are no better than your average diesel, and the potential cost of replacement batteries is enough to put most off.

My Galaxy (1.8 tdci 125bhp) returns a genuine 45mpg in town all day, and that's fantastic mpg for a taxi, and particularly a 7 seater that weighs so much, however, the trade off, is that it drives horribly, and off boost there is no torque whatsoever, so low speed manouvering, pulling away (particularly hill starts) are a nightmare, and it either stalls, bogs down and barely moves, or you slip the clutch, which means a new clutch every 40k (I've never needed a clutch in any of my other cabs).

Edited by Tipex

In an attempt to put the results for the 60mph loop into context, based on my own rural A road cruising experience I reckon my Impreza STI 330S would achieve 35-36mpg on the same test. If I actually try properly I can average up to 33mpg on my daily commute. Best ever was an average of 36mpg over 370 miles to Norwich and back (all A roads).

I get 45mpg out of my 335d daily

Very impressive, couldn't even get this out of some bog standard slow diesels or even eco petrols.

And to put that into context, I can easily believe you. The 335d is an awesome beast. +++

I've been in convoy with one particular 335d coupe, where I've been in pretty much full attack mode (21mpg!) to keep up with them. And they've averaged 36mpg over the same stretch.

And to put that into context, I can easily believe you. The 335d is an awesome beast. +++

I've been in convoy with one particular 335d coupe, where I've been in pretty much full attack mode (21mpg!) to keep up with them. And they've averaged 36mpg over the same stretch.

I budgeted for 36mpg, worse case 30mpg when buying the 335d coupe. Imagine my surprise when it will do 45mpg following traffic on my daily 40 mile round commute. And around 37/38 when i do quite a few shorter town journeys as well.

For the power i can't believe it.

There's a lot of tricks you can use to save petrol whilst driving, but they require so much concentration, it can have an effect on your overall awareness of your journey.

Things like accelerating before a hill and not during it - coasting it on the way back down. Try and not to stop at any point (unless you have to, of course) so you need to make decisions quickly at round-about's and give ways. Carrying unnecessary weigh. Turning your engine off at traffic jams - etc etc etc.

StooH - My GTi was giving me a combined economy of 28.2 mpg - after the remap. About 34mpg at best before that.

Oldskool - what sorts of roads does your journey consist of ? I have a E90 330d and it's currently giving me 39.9mpg on 80-90% urban driving - with lots of annoying round about's, learner drivers, stop start routs and general [email protected] occupying the roads. I think that's pretty good.

There's a lot of tricks you can use to save petrol whilst driving, but they require so much concentration, it can have an effect on your overall awareness of your journey.

Things like accelerating before a hill and not during it - coasting it on the way back down. Try and not to stop at any point (unless you have to, of course) so you need to make decisions quickly at round-about's and give ways. Carrying unnecessary weigh. Turning your engine off at traffic jams - etc etc etc.

StooH - My GTi was giving me a combined economy of 28.2 mpg - after the remap. About 34mpg at best before that.

Oldskool - what sorts of roads does your journey consist of ? I have a E90 330d and it's currently giving me 39.9mpg on 80-90% urban driving - with lots of annoying round about's, learner drivers, stop start routs and general [email protected] occupying the roads. I think that's pretty good.

My daily commute is 40 mile round trip consisting of a town start of about 4 miles with at least 4 - 5 traffic lights which i normally have to stop at and a couple of roundabouts. Rest of the time i'm just moving along at a steady 30mph. Then it's all a-roads with 9 roundabouts between 50 and 60mph and then a short but normally clear 30mph stretch to the office. That's about 20 miles in total and the it's 20 miles back of the same. Give's me 43-45mpg following traffic.

I got 47mpg on the M1 the other day just following traffic at 70mph, wasn't in a rush. Very impressed with both of these from a 335d.

And if i start doing the shopping run and more local driving the mpg falls to about 37/38mpg.

Edited by OldSkoO1

Over the last 3000 miles or so in my GTI i've averaged 30mpg but if you podle along around 65 on the motorway you can get over 40 if you try. I'm surprised that the MPG dropped so much after a remap i've head a number of times (without any definitive proof) that the MPG on the GTI goes up a tad after a remap (stage 1)