Possible car change, yes or no and pcp or hp?

aj84

Bit stuck here and thought I would get some thoughts/advice.

For the last 5-6 years, I've always changed cars pretty much every year and always got it on a 5 year HP.

Generally, I don't lose out in equity as it's always cancelled out the settlement of the car during trading in and so all I've paid is the 12 months of whatever (interest I guess).

Main reason is boredom but also the fact they are always under mfg warranty especially when issues like below are caused!

My current car is in with the dealership due to a faulty gearbox which is being replaced under warranty.

I decided to find out what my options are on chopping it in for another.

I've had mine for 1.5 years now and it still puts a smile on my face but it is a 2008 plate which means next year, its out of warranty.

On asking the valuation, it turns out I am actually in equity..over 2 grand!

So this is my deposit.

My options are an A5 or A6 around I think the 25-30k mark for a 59/10 plate. This potentially would keep my payments at under £600 a month.

So given the above, what shall I do?

Keep current car and extend warranty next March and hope I carry on having this equity if I chose to trade sometime next year?

Chop it in for another HP deal?

Chop it in for a PCP deal?

At the moment, the stock cars are working out way too much - almost £800 so we're looking around.

I'm quite fussy with spec and whatever car it is, it has to black, full leather, tech pack high, black styling pack and 2.7 or 3.0 tdi (quattro if poss) at a minimum.

Also must be a 59/10 plate because of warranty which means I would this time keep it for 3 years or so.

Alternative is I wait till July when I find out how my end of year payreview goes but the end result is, I am liking this equity and don't want to lose it (or go into negative equity) by waiting!

Yup :)

Went in initially for a strange issue where a the final change from R>D in a 3 point turn would have a long delay + reverse on cold start (without moving fwd first) would have a weird juddering feed

First issue was normal with a multibox, didn't hear anything about the second issue but that they found a mechanical issue with something in the box - nothing to do with my driving thankfully

If you spend £25-£30k on a new car and use your £2k equity on a five year deal, you are going to be in that car for a long time before you are in equity again.

I would seriously look at the figures on 4 years over a 5 year deal.

Audi will be quoting you anything between 12.9 and 14.9% on a PCP which will look attractive in terms of the monthly payments over a conventional HP deal but work out the total amount repayable and then say no!!!

Thanks for all the replies

Cruiser: Would love to go for a Quattro if I could find one in my price-range :(

Booster: I think I might stick with HP again. I'm not sure what you meant in your first line?

The car replacement would not be new...

I'm not sure how I am in equity at the moment because what I was planning on doing was exactly what I did before...get the car on a 5 year HP deal - for some reason or another, I'm in equity be it the car is worth more or whatever.

Would this not be the case on the next purchase if I did exactly the same on a nearly new car again?

gizze: You said it...its the mega spec I'm after :)

My minimum is a 2.7/3.0 TDI (Quattro if poss), with MMI 3G, full leather, LED lighting, Sline / le mans etc etc

By fluke today, I found a car I really like. It's just short of 27k, 09 plate.

It's another A6 (new shape) and has all the spec that I want apart from the Quattro. And it's a 2.7

I've asked what they can do with that on monthly payments

This budget has got me thinking more seriously now as I wouldnt want to buy at 20% VAT next year unless my car was valued with this in consideration.

It does sometimes (most times) make my gut churn when I think that I'm actually paying £500 a month on a car!

By fluke today, I found a car I really like. It's just short of 27k, 09 plate.

It's another A6 (new shape) and has all the spec that I want apart from the Quattro. And it's a 2.7

I've asked what they can do with that on monthly payments

This budget has got me thinking more seriously now as I wouldnt want to buy at 20% VAT next year unless my car was valued with this in consideration.

It does sometimes (most times) make my gut churn when I think that I'm actually paying £500 a month on a car!

No way I would spend £27k on an A6 now, , in 2 years time it will be an old model and the A6 gets hits hard when it is replaced.

20% vat will mean sod all on a used car, the dealer only pays the VAT on the profit, which is an ex demo will probably mean that they have written it down and therefore selling for sod all profit as far as the books are concerned, and if it is a used car there will be £3-4k in it, so again, the difference between 17.5 and 20% will be no more than £100.

Thanks Gizze

Enough to think about thats for sure

I did email them last night before the posting here to see what they were willing to do but no reply so says it all really - especially after a footnote explaining if they could get it around the monthly that I wanted to pay (well within reason), I would want to do a deal straight away.

Like I said, you have given me a fair bit to think about and looking at the new A6 pictures, I wouldnt mind that next year thats for sure.

Shame the A5 is too small for me... which is something a lot of people say I'm crazy for saying especially as a lone soon to be 26 yr old :roflmao:

Problem is, after the A6, the A4, A5 and A5 sportback cabin space is very small...