Top 10 Greenest and Dirtiest Cars of 2010

Andy_Bangle

The headline grabber: Italy's Lamborghini Murcielago has been named and shamed as the most polluting car of the nation by the UK's Environmental Transport Association (ETA), being five times as worse than the greenest automobile of 2010, Japan's 99g/km Toyota iQ. - Who cares? I know what i'd rather drive!

"With emissions five times worse than the greenest car, the Lamborghini is the bull in an environmental china shop," said Andrew Davis, director of the ETA. "Thankfully, there are very few on the roads and there is an increasing choice of environmentally-sound cars."

The group said it examined over 5,000 cars sold in the UK ranking them for their power, emissions, fuel efficiency and the amount of noise they produce. ETA also said that a poll of 1,500 British drivers found that Scots were most inclined (42%) to buy a smaller car in order to reduce their motoring costs, while drivers living in the north of England were the least inclined (34%).

The untold story: As with most reports of the sort, ETA and Mr. Davis forget to stress the fact that super cars like the Lamborghini Murcielago and the Ferrari 612 Scaglietti, which top both CO2 and fuel cost lists, are not only extremely rare, but also won't ever be used as near as much as a Toyota iQ or the Honda Insight.

This means that their actual total emissions (we won't even bother with fuel costs) are pretty much inconsequential.

TOP 10 MOST POLLUTING CARS

1. Lamborgini Murcielago

2. Ferrari 612 Scaglietti

3. Bentley Motors Brooklands

4. Bentley Motors Arnage

5. bentley Motors Azure

6. Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano

7. Bentley Motors Continental

8. Aston Martin V12 Vantage

9. Cadillac Escalade

10. Rolls Royce Phantom

TOP 10 LEAST POLLUTING CARS

1. Toyota iQ

2. Honda Insight

3. Volkswagen New Polo

4. Toyota Yaris

5. Toyota Prius

6. Nissan Pixo

7. Suzuki Alto

8. Honda Civic Hybrid

9. Ford Fiesta

10. Mazda 2

TOP 10 CARS WITH HIGHEST FUEL COSTS

1. Lamborghini Murcielago

2. Ferrari 612 Scaglietti

3. Bentley Motors Brooklands

4. Bentley Motors Arnage

5. Bentley Motors Azure

6. Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano

7. Bentley Motors Continental

8. Aston Martin V12 Vantage

9. Cadillac Escalade

10. Ferrari 430 Scuderia

TOP 10 CARS WITH LOWEST FUEL COSTS

1. Smart Fortwo

2. Volkswagen New Polo

3. Ford Fiesta

4. Vaixhall Corsa

5. Seat Ibiza

6. Peugeot 207

7. Volvo C30

8. Volkswagen Polo

9. Citroen New C3

10. Toyota Prius

I wonder how much that study cost. :rolleyes:

And what will it achieve? Sweet FA!!!!

ETA also said that a poll of 1,500 British drivers found that Scots were most inclined (42%) to buy a smaller car in order to reduce their motoring costs

Inorder to buy more booze, chips and generic Valium! :roflmao:

Utterly utterly pointless load of f*cking bo**ocks, stuff like this winds me up, as some moron has been paid to do it.

I want to buy a new car, and I've narrowed it down to either a Toyota IQ or a Lamborghini Murcielago. Yeah, that's a likely scenario.

I want to buy a new car, and I've narrowed it down to either a Toyota IQ or a Lamborghini Murcielago.

Please step this way to my Aston Martin dealership, I may be able to help... :grin:

I imagine they charged a lot to produce this survey. I mean, the overheads to come up with the results must have run to the cost of several sheets of paper, a pen, calculator and a copy of TopGear.

Slightly confused, how is the IQ top of the non polluting list but doesn't appear in the lowest fuel costs? I would of thought the 2 would be reasonably in sync.

Not necessarily.

A car could do 50 mpg but at high CO2, due to an older engine design and so also, a low MPG car, due to big engine can have a very modern engine and produce relatively low MPG.

Yeah, confusing rubbish eh!

I don't quite get it either, a car that is very efficient (and therefore gets high mpg) would also have a low C02 output, a high C02 output means more fuel is being burned in every engine revolution.

Therefore, the only thing I can see that could cause a car to have high mpg and high C02 would be the gearing, but then that would also affect the mpg?

I'm confused.

Edited by Tipex

I don't quite get it either, a car that is very efficient (and therefore gets high mpg) would also have a low C02 output, a high C02 output means more fuel is being burned in every engine revolution.

Therefore, the only thing I can see that could cause a car to have high mpg and high C02 would be the gearing, but then that would also affect the mpg?

I'm confused.

The engines they design now have certain characteristics to produce a low CO2 trail as the gasses combust. Whereas before, they were more concerned with efficiency and MPG. Now, it's more for low CO2 & MPG

I'd like to nominate another one for the pot - my track toy is green (colour), dirty (not been washed for a looooong time) and does :eek:mpg when on full boost on track.

Fortunately it's not using as much fuel as it used to. Well, when I say using, I mean leaking ;)

I love that too. +++

I have got a facelift E320cdi at the moment, it is the 3.0, it does around 34mpg compared to around 36mpg on the pre facelift, also adding a DPF reduces emmisions but increases fuel consumption. I can't work it out either as I thought that is how they got the co2/km figure??

I know a few people who have removed the DPF on their 3 series and 1 series and their MPG has shot up by around 15%, so I guess it is a case of if the mpg outweighs the increase in emissions then it is cleaner, if it doesn't well, then it isn't??

I know a few people who have removed the DPF on their 3 series and 1 series and their MPG has shot up by around 15%, so I guess it is a case of if the mpg outweighs the increase in emissions then it is cleaner, if it doesn't well, then it isn't??

They are only measured by the Co2 figure, maybe the Nox figure too for future EU standards.

MPG is now an EU/UK Gov 'nice to be high' figure, but we don't care really.

Co2 figures are the future to keep the officials happy.