One years difference.....

Scotty

I can't believe the change in just one years riding!

I'm really pleased to see that I'm getting somewhere. :grin:

It's handy to have trackday photographers who seem to choose the same spots for the pics!

Trackdays - what a fun way of learning how to do something +++

____________April 2009_______________________________May 2010

attachment.php?attachmentid=39454&d=1277103005

post-124-137914449351_thumb.jpg

Errr none! Well not stricktly true.

The first pics were taken on the third day on track in Portugal in 2009 and the second pics were taken on the third day on track in Portugal in 2010. No others inbetween so I guess you can say two days.

At the end of day 3 2009, I managed to just brush each knee across the surface. At the day of day 1 2010, I got me knees properly planted and once I'd done that day 2 and then day three made all the difference.

It's the thing of once you've got your knee down once then you're doing it all the time.

Danksy - postion - yep - it's not about trying harder or being more agressive. If anything it's the opposite. You just need to hang off and keep the bike stable with some throttle winding in one as you go through the bend. I wish I could impart what I've learnt but I don't really know how I got from last year's "style" to this years. To be honest some of it is just be brave and bold and hang off the fecker! :grin:

Cheers all. Thinking about it, this is how I learnt :

2009 - April

Trackday 1 - got rid of all chicken strips by following an instructor and having blinf faith if he could make it then so could I ..... in the pi55ing rain

Trackday 2 - drying and sometimes getting hero blobs down. Basically I got more comfortable with the lean

Trackday 3 - I got some not so subtle advice that kinda changed everthing : "if you don't get your fecking ar5e off that seat you're gonna crash it". Basically I needed to stand the bike up more and hang off the bike. In the last session I managed to nudge each knee so I went home very happy.

Since then I've watched videos etc and I am realised that I was twisting my hips when I edge off the seat. In fact it was this video that made me realise :

sxODoscChNo

I was then itching to test it out and I tried a few times on the road to get the position but not going as far as trying to get my knee down. I assummed that would just happen if everything else was right.

2010 - May

Trackday 1 - the same guy that gave me the tip last time told me he expected me to be picking up from last year by the end of the day and hence I should have my knee down before the day was out. This focussed me and in the penultimate session it went down once.... then again and again etc. In that session I that it was about 12 times with the longest being a few seconds long. That set me up mentally. I then went out with an instructor who said I should move into Inters to bring me on more.

Trackday 2 & 3 - Inters really worked as I was following faster guys. I then worked on trying to get the lines right (not always successfully!) and the positioning and hence taking greater speed through which made the knee downs happen more frequently until it was happening on most bends.

It's amazingly how a comment like "if you don't get your fecking ar5e off that seat you're gonna crash it" can get you on the right path! :roflmao:

I can't wait for the next one now +++

eh? So you go and do mental rides on rough terrain in the middle of nowhere but you won't go on a track where the surface is perfect, everyone is going the same way, there's no vans/lorries/cars/manholes/kerbs/diesel/lamposts/etc ?

As for what you'd look like, go on - post a pic :roflmao:

eh? So you go and do mental rides on rough terrain in the middle of nowhere but you won't go on a track where the surface is perfect, everyone is going the same way, there's no vans/lorries/cars/manholes/kerbs/diesel/lamposts/etc ?

Yup, but the speed is waaaay lower and it's a different sort of fear :grin:

As for what you'd look like, go on - post a pic :roflmao:

I have never worn them, but in my minds eye I know that it wouldn't be a good sight :eek: