iPhone OS4

DHA

TomTom is a great example of it killing your battery though. If you're in TomTom and switch out - cos you've finished.... it keeps running and your battery disappears south at a rate of knots.

To be fair the latest update means that if you switch out for more than a few minutes - and it's not connected to the GPS cradle - it'll close down.

They need to do something with that pane I think - it's not intuitive enough. Maybe it's just cos we're techy users? Most users wouldn't care if it's multi-tasking or it's just a quick access bar :confused:

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've lost another two calls today.

However, the Torch application on the 4G is worth anyones money. It uses the flash and is very cool indeed. I've been using it to send morse code signals to clients across the county as it is impossible to actually ring them.

I haven't had the slowness issue on OS4, mine was terrible on the last version of 3 but has improved on 4. I know others have complained about slowness though. Is there much space on your iphone, I wonder if that affects it?

Yeah i noticed that with the bars, it's still deathly slow and infuriating when it stops responding for a few mins too.

Tipex,

You're not alone. I had the same issues with my 3G, thought I'd live with it till I got another but it just p'd me off in the end.

Have a look here.

I did a few of the processes on the page and its now back to normal. Saying that, I havent upgraded to OS 4.1 yet..+++

So, iPhone delivered today, already booked in at apple meadowhall to return next Tues!!

Wifi and Bluetooth don't work on it. Annoying as no signal issue.

So a 60 mile round trip for the pleasure of returning a brand new product.

Think the ball has been dropped with this one.

(typed on my iPad, which is the nuts!!!!):grin:

Causiously upgraded my 3GS yesterday from 4.0 to 4.0.1

I was worried that the new formula for bars may result in a poorer or no signal in areas i currently struggle with, but happily its improved. The extra signal bandwidth they have enabled at the lower end has helped.

So far so good.

Strangely the phone seems quicker in and out of apps too. Maybe a placebo effect, but does seem faster.

A combination of methods has sped my 3G up, it still lags a bit, but nowhere near as bad as it was, doesn't freeze any more either-

Turned off all the spotlight search criteria

Deleted several large apps that I never used (couple of big games)

Deleted nearly 300 photos

Jailbroke it on OS4

It now has all the functionality of an Iphone4, albeit at probably a 10th of the speed, it has multitasking and background images etc.

The only thing the jailbreak has done (or that I've used) is activated those Iphone4/3GS things, and added a swipe down menu to quickly turn off WiFi etc.

Otherwise, I can't actually find much of use in Cydia, I'm not interested in changing skins etc.

Do you still use Safari tipex? I binned it as I think that is what was slowing down my 3G by keeping so much stuff in the cache. I use Opera now, apart from when I have to open a link in another app. Seems to have helped speed issues.

DHA, I'd highly recommend looking at Atomic Web. It is on another level altogether to Safari and Opera and incredibly impressive. It's still relatively new out but I have been running it without issue on my iPad and I tried it on my iPhone 4 today and it is equally impressive.

If you close all the windows in Safari before you close it, so it's just a blank white screen, it does make a difference to the overall speed of the 3G, it's just remembering to do that every time I use Safari.

I have got Opera on it, but don't like it, the zoom only has one level of zoom, and it's not the right level of zoom for browsing forums etc without having to move the screen around to read a full sentance, which irritates me, I also don't like the fonts it uses, everything seems much clearer and crisper in Safari, I find the same using Opera on my windows laptop compared to Safari too. (I mostly only ever use Safari to browse on my laptop).