2001 A3 1.9 Tdi 110 overheating

ChrisGoulding

My A3 temperature gauge sits at 110 degrees. I have changed the thermostat and temp sender, but the temp is still 110. I have even changed the temp sender for one that I know works as I took if from my Ibiza that sits at 90 degrees. The gauge creeps up from cold, gets to 90 degrees then will carry on till 110. It doesnt get any higher. I have checked the radiator and the top hose gets really, really hot, whilst the bottom hose is cold. I have checked the small pipe on the top of the expansion tank and water is coming through, but not at any pressure. The system is not leaking any coolant. I am thinking the water pump may need changing?? I am due to sort the cam belt out shortly and will have it done at the same time, but wondered if it is going to be the pump. What pressure should the water come through the hoses at? It has done 130k. Any ideas chaps?

• 2 weeks later...

I have changed the timing belt and water pump, but the temp still says 110 degrees. I have now changed the thermostat, temp sender and water pump. What else could be causing the tempc to remain at 110. When should the fan kick in as it doesnt appear to want to so far!! Or is it a faulty display gauge.

I have checked the fan this morning by bridging the terminals on the sensor on the bottom of the radiator and the fan is working. The lower hoses stay cool whereas the top ones are hot, therefore it may be that the sensor wont pick up how hot the temp is. I can only asssume that there is an airlock in the radiator as every other sensor apart from the one in the rad has been changed - hopefully!!!!

I have spent another day going through everything. I have drained the radiator and refilled it, but no joy. I then rechecked the thermostat and it was still in the closed position despite the water being red hot behind it. On the rad side it was cold. I took it out(mental note to myself - wait till it has cooled down next time!!!) and its says it should open at 87 degrees but on checking it in a pan of water, it doesnt open till the water was boiling, and then only by about 5mm. I put the rad pipes back together without the thermostat and both the top and bottom pipes are now hot and the temp gauge reads 75 degrees. I was always a believer that a new part has been checked and would work, but I now realise better. Off to the Stealers on Monday to get a genuine one and hopefully all will be well and the temp gauge will read the obligatory Audi 90 degrees!!!

How fecking cheesed off am I??? I have changed the thermostat and refilled and the temp went straight to 110 degrees. The top rad pipe was boiling hot and the bottom one was cool. Therefore, the thermostat is stopping the water from passing through to the radiator and cooling down. When I have removed the thermostat, the water behind it is scalding hot and the thermostat is still in the closed position!!!!! I have taken it out and left the thermostat out and the engine runs at 75 to 85 degrees, which is better than overheating!! The only thing I can think of now is a faulty temp gauge/display and the thermostat is not at operating temperature, but the water seems really hot to me. I dont have climate control so cant check on there. I think it is highly unlikely that 3 thermostats are all faulty. Anyone got and ideas????? Please help before I send the car to the great scrapyard in the sky!!!!

On the off chance that ALL the thermostats were knackered I have changed it yet again for an Audi one and it is still reading 110 degrees. Is it likely that the expansion cap is leaking, therefore causing the pressure to be incorrect therefore the thermostat wont open as the coolant behind it is not hot enough, even though the coolant where the coolant sensor is located is hot and reading right??? Does that make sense??

• 1 year later...