Emission Control System Lamp stays on

Deckard

Hi folks.

Whilst in Edinburgh today the ECS orange warning lamp came on and stayed on. There's no difference in performance and everything feels fine and I went on my driving approx 65 miles home to Perth and beyond

It might be a coincidence but it came on exactly as my son reduced the temp on his side of the car. Simultaneous to this, I was washing the windows!

For the rest of the journey, I noticed that if I washed the windows, the climate control cooling fans would slow down until the wipers had stopped moving then the fans would resume at full speed. Maybe it's a total coincidence that everything happened at once!?!?!?

Any ideas what to do?

It a 53 plate 4.2q A8. I only bought it five weeks ago from Wellside Motors

cheers

D

I'm near Perth. I spoke to the lad who sold it to me who's also an LPG installer and he says it happens all the time with LPG. He's going to look at it tomorrow with vagcom and see what the problem was.

Thanks for replying mate

Steve

I can mean one of two things, either the CAT is on its way out or most likely (due to the LGP conversion) that the oxygen sensors in front and behind the converter are reporting too similar of readings. My orange light is always on as I've got sport cats.

Other less likely things:

* Leaded fuel was used where unleaded was called for

* An oxygen sensor is not reading (functioning) properly

* The engine coolant temperature sensor is not working properly

* Damaged or leaking exhaust manifold / catalytic converter / exhaust pipe

* Retarded spark timing

Mine is on almost all the time, auxiliary air pump is broken. On looking at it (round thing at back of engine towards passenger side) one of the vacuum hose spigoty things has broken off - previous owner had epoxied the hose on. Could be you have the same thing.