Tiny paint bubbles on rear hatch handle

Tonsko

Bodywork warranties only often cover perforation but it's worth a go. I've read recently where a couple of VW owners of recent models have experienced similar issues and have been unsuccessful in claiming.

I'm not sure a 'local' repair would look good long term. You can often see on older cars where paint repairs have been 'blown in' to other panels.

If you plan to hang on to the car then i would get the whole area repainted.

I'd want the least amount of new paint on my car as possible, rather than spray the whole area, I'd only want the handle painted, and if it's done properly, it should be a perfect match, the bigger the painted area, the more obvious it is, and the more likely you are to notice it against the other panels.

Surely the paint would only bubble up due to perforation anyway, so should theoretically be covered as long as you've had the annual bodywork inspections and got the stamps in the book.

Is the handle metal or plastic?

I think those handles are plastic iirc

I guess as to whether a smaller repair would be successful / look good would depend on the condition of the paint in that area.

Modern paints are a base colour with clearcoat so if the paint is a little faded under the clearcoat then a colour match may be more tricky?

Ultimately a bodyshop desision though I guess as to what would be the best long term :)

I had a word with a painter, and he said it's apparently a common problem. Reason being that the handle is made of monkey metal; water will get behind it and eventually corrode it. They can take the lock barrel out, strip the handle down and repaint - about 100 quid, OR if the lock barrel doesn't come out they do it on the car as best they can, repaint it and put sealant around the join, will cost a bit more, I think. Best solution is to source a new lock and let them paint it and replace. No idea how much the handle will be though. Also depends on how long I want to keep it for.