ECU Communication Issue

mattyboy82

Hi Guys,

Really need some help!! :)

I have an 07 Audi A3 S line. For the past 2 months the glow plug warning light has been flashing intermittently which disables my cruise control and also affects the performance (also intermittently).

At first, local garage told me it was the brake light switch which needs to be replaced but this did not solve the problem. So I took it in to Audi and they have told me 'there is no communication between the brake light switch and ECU' and that it requires 'stripping and investigation' in order to identify the exact cause. Problem is they have told me to budget best part of £600 quid as it is not a common fault!

Has anyone heard of this problem before??

I am wondering whether it would be worth taking it to a local Auto Electrician but if its not a common problem worried about anyone other than Audi looking at this as they might make the situation worse or they could charge me and then the problem returns etc.

Cheers.

Matt.

Best thing is to get someone with VAG-COM to see what the actual fault code being reported is.

It's possible that either a switch is faulty, one or more brake light bulb has blown, or a wire has snapped - and a faulty ECU is the least likely possibility. But you need to know exactly what the fault code is first...

Best thing is to get someone with VAG-COM to see what the actual fault code being reported is.

It's possible that either a switch is faulty, one or more brake light bulb has blown, or a wire has snapped - and a faulty ECU is the least likely possibility. But you need to know exactly what the fault code is first...

Thanks for your reply Dave, much appreciated. I have had someone do this already and the fault code indicates a faulty brake light switch, however, I have just had a new one fitted and the previous one was only a year old (apparantly this one had been modified, which makes me wonder whether this has always been an issue??).

Do you reckon its worth taking it to an Auto Electrician as oppose to Audi?

Cheers.

Do you reckon its worth taking it to an Auto Electrician as oppose to Audi?

First thing to check is whether the brake switch itself is working - a simple check with a multimeter. If it isn't then either adjust or replace it - it's not unknown for a new one to be faulty.

If it is then it's a case of checking whether the wire from the switch to the relevant ECU is OK - another simple meter check. If it isn't then run a replacement wire.

If it is then you're looking at a possible faulty ECU.

First thing to check is whether the brake switch itself is working - a simple check with a multimeter. If it isn't then either adjust or replace it - it's not unknown for a new one to be faulty.

If it is then it's a case of checking whether the wire from the switch to the relevant ECU is OK - another simple meter check. If it isn't then run a replacement wire.

If it is then you're looking at a possible faulty ECU.

Ok, will carryout these tests to hopefully find the cause and will post an update after.

Thank you my friend, this problems been driving me mad for a month now!!

Cheers.