British GP Banter

Barry Scott

So it's finally here, the British GP with it's new layout that seems to be getting mixed feelings on it's success.

Red Bull un-touchable in practice 1 & 2 and Mclaren struggling to get their new blown diffusser to work so have now decided to ditch it for the rest of the weekend.

autosport.com - F1 News: McLaren ditches blown diffuser for now

With the new turn 11 catching a lot of people out in practice with it's big bump on the transition to the new tarmac, it's looking like it could be very easy to blow a hot qualifing lap.

Going be another top race. +++

And un-stopable in Qualifing too!

1. Vettel (Red Bull-Renault)

2. Webber (Red Bull-Renault)

3. Alonso (Ferrari)

4. Hamilton (McLaren-Mercedes)

5. Rosberg (Mercedes)

6. Kubica (Renault)

7. Massa (Ferrari)

8. Barrichello (Williams-Cosworth)

9. De la Rosa (Sauber-Ferrari)

10. Schumacher (Mercedes)

11. Sutil (Force India-Mercedes)

12. Kobayashi (Sauber-Ferrari)

13. Hulkenberg (Williams-Cosworth)

14. Button (McLaren-Mercedes)

15. Liuzzi (Force India-Mercedes)

16. Petrov (Renault)

17. Buemi (Toro Rosso-Ferrari)

18. Alguersuari (Toro Rosso-Ferrari)

19. Kovalainen (Lotus-Cosworth)

20. Glock (Virgin-Cosworth)

21. Trulli (Lotus-Cosworth)

22. Di Grassi (Virgin-Cosworth)

23. Chandhok (HRT-Cosworth)

24. Yamamoto (HRT-Cosworth)

Hamilton almost a second behind Vettel in fourth place, so think it's going to be an easy afternoon for the Red Bulls tomorrow!

The only people that can beat Red Bull tomorrow are themselves. Thought it was interesting that Vettel got the updated front wing due to his championship position even although his original wing got damaged leaving only one new one, Don't think Webber will be to hapy they took his wing off him

Oh dear, what happened to Button then? I haven't seen the qualifying.

14th is a bit naff - did he stop for some fine English tea on the lawn?

He said the car went from being fine in practice to "undriveable" in qualifying. No rear end grip, which when you driving style is all about smoothness probably isn't too great. Lewis on the other hand seems to relish in having to grab the car by the scruff of its neck and hoon round!

The radio commentary team were likening them to Prost and Senna. Not on a rivalry level, but on driving style with the way Lewis wrings the cars neck like Senna and Button is all about keeping it smooth/technical like Prost.

Was a good race in the end wasn't sure how it would pan out before hand. Webber certainly enjoyed that win the team don't seem to be favouring him that's for sure.

As for Alonso and his little run off the circuit I did have to laugh, isn't often a decision goes against Ferrari, but it was quite marginal. Two races on the run he has been a bit mad, bless. :roflmao:

Button did well to get to 4th after his spat about the car yesterday but he did well. Hamilton could never challenge Webber car just wasn't good enough. Was also good to see Rosberg beating Schumacher again and for Williams to be closer to the sharp end.

Another good F1 race and Silverstone looked great today. +++

I'm sure Webber wasn't pushing at 100% which is why Hamilton managed to keep relatively close to him but what amazed me was the number of fastest laps Hamilton posted and the gap between him and third place. For all they were saying about the McLaren not being that good this weekend it wasn't exactly a bad car.

I'm sure Webber wasn't pushing at 100% which is why Hamilton managed to keep relatively close to him but what amazed me was the number of fastest laps Hamilton posted and the gap between him and third place. For all they were saying about the McLaren not being that good this weekend it wasn't exactly a bad car.

Completely agree, Webber definately had a lot more in hand if needed but Lewis must of been ragging the @rse off that Mclaren to be so far ahead on lap time compared to the rest of the field! Top drive from him, and also Jenson to get up to 4th place. +++

Think Alonso had the pace to be right up there too if he had got a good start so no surprise he was so angry to be down the field, but all he had to do was give the place straight back to Kubica which I think would have been the obvious thing to do after having all four wheels off the track even if he did have know where else to go!

Don't know what you guys feel but Vettle and Christian Horner have both gone down in my estimation. I thought they handled the weekend really badly and Webber came up smelling of roses.. good job for him +++

Same here. It felt very 'Ferrari Schumacheresque' to me! Was loving Webbers comment on the radio thou on his victory lap saying 'not bad for a number two driver!?' :roflmao:+++

Don't know what you guys feel but Vettle and Christian Horner have both gone down in my estimation. I thought they handled the weekend really badly and Webber came up smelling of roses.. good job for him +++

The rumour mill throughout this season has implied it`s not Horner making these calls but the teams Austrian owners who want a German champion.....I believe(rumour mill again) that this is why Webber took the rap for the collision between the two Red Bulls earlier in the season.

I think it goes deeper than that.

The sponsors that Red Bull have got tied in all have interests that would be better served, commercially, if a German were to become World Champion. I think they're guarding their sponsorship from others as much as their own national loyalties.

The rumour mill throughout this season has implied it`s not Horner making these calls but the teams Austrian owners who want a German champion.....I believe(rumour mill again) that this is why Webber took the rap for the collision between the two Red Bulls earlier in the season.
I think it goes deeper than that.

The sponsors that Red Bull have got tied in all have interests that would be better served, commercially, if a German were to become World Champion. I think they're guarding their sponsorship from others as much as their own national loyalties.

i hadnt heard either of those rumours myself - however they do make sense and are more than feasible