Can you fit Sat Nav into 08/09 GTI and have ALL functionality as factory fitted...?

Martyn

Hi, I have been looking for a while on the web now to see if I can answer my questions...and am getting myself confused - what is Highline and Midline I have seen..?

I am looking right now for a 2008 or 2009 Golf GTI MK5, two options that I really want are Sunroof and SatNav.

The other day, I test drove a newish GTI and it had the latest Sat nav (according to the salesman) and it was great - You could see on the instrument cluster in the middle in red between the speedo and rev clocks the direction you were going, and the Nav directions to take, am I right here.....? What else can you see / control from the steering wheel controls..? I am not sure....?

There aren't many GTI's for sale at the moment with sat nav, so my question is, if I bought one without Sat Nav factory fitted, could I install the unit myself and have ALL the functionality as if it was factory fitted.......??

Would the diplay on the instrument cluster work in the way I want it to or not....?

Cheers, Martyn.

Short answer - yes.

To make things much, much easier make sure you buy one that has the highline instrument cluster - that's the name for the screen between the speedo and rev counter. Also a multi function steering wheel with the buttons will help.

The actual installation of the at nav unit is a doddle, 15 minutes tops. It's just a case of removing some fo the trim pieces from the centre console, undoing 4 screws, removing the old headunit and then doing the reverse to install it.

On the steering wheel you can control volume, switch tracks, mess about the the trip computer, change soem car settings (lighting and so on) but you can't set a destination for the sat nav.

Assuming you had the touch screen sat nav (or RNS 510 as it's called) then you can setup voice control by installing an optional microphone.

I've read that many have retro-fitted the sat nav units on dedicated GTI forums. Some have even gone to the extent of installing the rear view camera behind the VW badge (although that is a trick one and involves cutting metal from the inside).

I fitted a Kenwood double din unit as it offered more features for less money and still looks in keeping with the interior.

Thanks Burble..

I understand to look for one with Highline Instrument cluster.

I have seen an RNS510 MFD3 Vesion C with Maps on ebay, I am assuming this is what I want and will work in my 08 or 09 car...?

Which manufacturor makes the OEM VW Sat Nav Units....?

Presumably there are other manufacturors as well...?

Are there any brands to avoid.....?

Martyn.

As Burble says, yes! When I bought my car, it had no SatNav but had the highline MFD and Multi Function Steering wheel. All I did was buy the SatNav unit.

Took about 30 minutes to pop out the old unit, fix the Nav and everything else just worked. Quite simple really+++

I'm not sure who manufactures the VW sat nav units.

Other makes to consider are Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood. They all make doube DIN sized units with nice big screens. Most also offer bluetooth handsfee and in my opinion all sound MUCH better than the OEM unit.

Some of the above units run known mapping such as Garmin etc which means updating, adding speed cam data and POI's is as simple as inserting a SD card. It's much more complicated to get speed cam data etc on the OEM units.

Okay, so I am looking for a used GTI with either Sat Nav already installed or one with Highline computer, which I now know how to spot, so I can fit it myself after.

From looking around, I have another question, how can you tell if the car has had the Dynaudio option...?

Is it different speakers and an amp somewhere...?

When test driving the car, How do you tell if it has it, what do you look for....?

I might as well go the whole hog and ask for any other advice on what to look for when buying my new car...?

Would appreciate anyones advice...!

Cheers, Martyn.

There was a soundpack option which added the amp below the passenger seat and has 10 speakers, 6 front, 4 rear. I specced this on my R32 and it's not really worth it.

I wouldn't us this option as a must have / deal breaker. The speakers were supposed to be better than standard which if true the standard speakers must have been bad.