TEST DRIVE C63 with power upgrade

Golfer

Mercedes C63 with power upgrade.

Well I had an "extended" test drive in this C63 with power upgrade, fancy wheels and all.

Impressions after getting straight out of mine, Bloody Tame , the gearbox in any mode was so "gutless" and showed NO urgency even in Manual Sport mode and changing down was slow.It would be hard pushed to get in front of mine.

Where was all this "torque" people are on about?, I could not find it below 6K RMP, just a grad Tourer is all it is. It had a claimed 488BHP, it felt 300 BHP max!!!!, car had done 6K miles so it was not just run-in. A massive shock for me, am I glad I got back into the M and enjoyed every minute of the drive home.

The inside of these mercs are really cheap looking, the hand break is antiquated and the cruise control needed a dab on the breaks to switch it OFF , I asked if this was normal the guy seemed to think so!.

A real old mans tool no way a sports car. Roll on the new M5

Sounds like somthing was wrong with it. They are fast mate, quicker than the M3 in a straight line (although not by much. Agree its not the drivers car an M3 is, but for a real auto it does a bloody fine job.

Must have had a fault or just "Too Smooth a Delivery". Not for me.

I went in a C63 about a year ago and, much to my surprise, I thought it was far quicker in a straight line than an M3.

In the bends it wouldn't stand a hope in hells chance, but I have little doubt that on a long A road or Motorway it'd leave an M3 in a manner leaving no questioning. To be honest I also thought the interior was better. I said when the E90/2 was released that I thought, apart from the seats, that it felt like plastic tacky City and my thoughts haven't changed on that. The C63 was much nicer to be sat in.

The noise is fantastic too and I'm surprised you found it so tame.

However, I think they're different cars for different people and, as was shown on Top Gear, the M3 is the far superior all round performance car than the C63 and the RS4. Itvmade both look very soft indeed but none of them are a bad purchase and all remain very desirable cars.

Not yet - my local Subaru dealer has one in (they have a prestige section). Might see if they'll let me borrow it when min egoes in for service next month. Bit worried I might end up buying it though.... I really can't afford 20mpg!
:D 20 MPG :o I got 12 and when cruising @ 80 MPH got it too 19MPG, thats poor.

That'd give it a range of under 200 miles... I really can't be arsed going to a petrol station that often. I think I'm ready for a diesel barge with a big tank and 700+ mile range... :P
I only do 9K miles, so Derv not an option anymore. But lets see what comes next.