I sat in a Phateon at the wekend

s4dreamer

In our VW dealers.

An absolutely stunning looking car from the front - with a very nice looking chrome grill and the slightly curved front end which has been translated into the new Golf (instead of the very square fronts of the old Golf, Passat, etc.).

Inside, it is massive - the driver's seat was well back, but I sould still sit comfortably in the back.

Most things worked with a reassuring solidness, but the innovative cup-holders in the centre console were a tad dodgy. Neat, but the mechanism seemed a little cheap for a £50k car.

Seats seemed comfy enough, but as the car's battery was disconnected, and everything is electrically operated, I couldn't adjust them to a normal driving position.

Looks okay from the back - not as good as the front, but still okay. Couldn't figure out how to get into the boot though. Tried pressing the VW logo (as you do on the new Golf), but it didn't move. Probably electrically operated like the rest of the car.

Overall, it seemed like a nice luxury barge, and if I had £50k-odd to spend on a car, the Phaeton would be up there on my list along with the new A8 and the V10 Touareg.

BTW, I have seen a black Phaeton on the road and they look very, very nice.

[ QUOTE ]

Overall, it seemed like a nice luxury barge, and if I had £50k-odd to spend on a car, the Phaeton would be up there on my list along with the new A8 and the V10 Touareg.

BTW, I have seen a black Phaeton on the road and they look very, very nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have to agree with you, I have seen three Phaeton's now, two in Spain and one in Manchester. The black one looked very impressive. It's a shame they are not selling well, I've heard that only 16 have been sold in the UK so far, but I don't know if that is true. They are meant to be excellent cars, however people are finding hard to spend that much on a VW when they would rather have a Merc or BMW, badge snobery.

I went to the launch of the Phaeton in Luxemburg a year or so back - fantastic car, but I just wasnt sure where it fits into the car market, i did wonder if VW were being quite hopeful, but fantastic car - I'll have a look to see if I still have any pics (well I was more interested in the 2 R32s they had in the showroom also).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Beautiful car the Phaeton...just goes to show what a load of badge snobs we are in the UK .If it had 4 rings on the bonnet it would sell better.It looks very elegant and stately in a head of state sort of way

Ive another years use out of my A8 and would seriously consider one, a 3.2 and LPG convert it.

Anyone own a 3.2 so they could give me an idea of fuel consumption figures as my '8 returns an average of 33-35 on a run , but I suspect the steel bodied Phaeton wouldnt return nearly as much..

Good thing this depreciation lark you can buy a very nice motor for chips.. 10K gets you a nice A8 these days surely thes Phaetons are rare and rare cars should hold their price i'd have thought.

Forget the company Vectra, take the cash , gas it and buy a luxury barge and have it serviced by an independant

Edited by simonbrown

Good thing this depreciation lark you can buy a very nice motor for chips.. 10K gets you a nice A8 these days surely thes Phaetons are rare and rare cars should hold their price i'd have thought.

Errr no. Drop like a stone! Just be careful, as not all of the early 3.2 ones were 4-Motion.

Buy a used VOLKSWAGEN PHAETON Car - Auto Trader UK

Some of these are 4Motion, some aren't. There's even a 2.7 TDi version, which I did not know they had!!!

• 2 weeks later...