E92 M3 running costs

Andrew

Honestly, the car is very very forgiving, you'll have no problems at all even in the wet. In MDynamic traction mode it slackens off the driver aids, but still saves your bacon.

A well sorted rear wheel drive car is rock solid in the dry or wet. Quattro is EASIER to go faster in the wet, but in the dry there's no advantage really.

I'm no driving guru/god, but the M3 got me round the 'ring in some tidy times.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bit late to the party, but I thought you were going with the RS4!

Both cars are very accomplished at what they do, albeit the M3 will be newer and a few £'s more than the equivalent RS4 now. RS4's have dipped below 30k whereas M3's are now starting to hover around £30k.

A test drive in both should make your mind up for you.

Just to chuck a spanner in the works for you, 997's are now hovering mid to low 30's, so something else to consider

Max +++

B7 RS4, E92 M3 or 997S are all fantastic cars and I'd happily have any of them.

Problem is (as is always the case) they all have pros and cons, so it's what you as a person like the most at the time.

I guarantee you, which ever you get, you'll always wonder "what if...?", but that's just life.

Let us know how you get on. If you're keeping the LCR, then I'd seriously consider looking at the 997S, as it's a far more "special" feeling driving one than the Audi or BMW.

Happy hunting, this is the best bit :D

Right now a 997 4S is top of my list, used, as a replacement for the 6 next year. So I'm a little biased in my opinion because having driven one not too long ago I think it is in a completely different all-round league to the M3.

I found the E92 M3 interior lacking in all honesty. It felt extremely cheap in parts and the plastics used just weren't up to the standard I think they should be. The seats are outstanding, and the drive is excellent - but I just didn't think the car was anything like as good as a 997. Seats are of course a factor, but the 2+MiniMe accomodation will suit me fine next time.

Like you guys say, this is the best bit. Once driven I'll let you know my thoughts but the C2S is out. Not because I don't want one, I will just need something more practical I think. I'm not in any real hurry as a purchase wouldn't be for a nother couple of months and I do like a good faff when buying anything!

• 1 month later...

:(

No, I've not even driven one yet. In any case, looking at a Dec ish purchase. Depends how the new relationship in Scotland blossoms (it is very new although rather promising) - I'll need the car for up there so in short, a fun weekend car with a practical element (last point essential). I'll keep the LCR for when I'm back in London working as the work horse. It has done 90k now so not worth selling.

The RS4 is still a huge contender though - I adore the looks. We will see! Sales driector here did worry me though as a mate of his has just spent £7k on his M5 SMG gearbox and had spent previously £4k on his E46 M3's gearbox. I'd not enjoy those bills too much!

You should have bought mine mate, if you don't stamp on the brakes at every corner they will last 40,000+ miles, my computer says 45000 for the front and 50000 for the rears, and thats after 9000+ miles; before needing changing, I use the M-DCT box for slowing down mostly, I average 20/24 MPG and I do not use the car much around town on short journeys, I use it for 15 mile+ runs( the wife's diesel is used for short stuff). I find I used the adjustable suspension a lot and would recommend it.

The car has used NO Oil to date and has now covered 9500 miles trouble free, it goes as a PX in December as I have had a forward valuation on it for that date. New Car will be the M-Sport 550i.

I needed 4 seats so bought the E90 which IMO is a great little car and streets ahead of the B7 RS4 I had in every way, I have test driven the RS5:( and was NOT impressed and the M3 is better than that also.

Good luck J+++

Right now a 997 4S is top of my list, used, as a replacement for the 6 next year. So I'm a little biased in my opinion because having driven one not too long ago I think it is in a completely different all-round league to the M3.

I found the E92 M3 interior lacking in all honesty. It felt extremely cheap in parts and the plastics used just weren't up to the standard I think they should be. The seats are outstanding, and the drive is excellent - but I just didn't think the car was anything like as good as a 997. Seats are of course a factor, but the 2+MiniMe accomodation will suit me fine next time.

Great choice chris, IF you only need 2 seats and NO luggage space.+++

The 997S has rear seats that are fine for our 8 year old and she's the only rear seat passenger I ever have.

There is more than enough room for an adult in the front and a child in the back, no problem at all. It's quite deceptive.

Luggage is something I never need - well except a laptop. For any luggage-carrying trips we'd always use MrsMe's.

You know how little rear legroom there is in a 6 series and the 911 is no worse in reality.

I remember the my 6 series, the rear seats killed it in the end for me.

The 997S has rear seats that are fine for our 8 year old and she's the only rear seat passenger I ever have.

There is more than enough room for an adult in the front and a child in the back, no problem at all. It's quite deceptive.

Luggage is something I never need - well except a laptop. For any luggage-carrying trips we'd always use MrsMe's.

You know how little rear legroom there is in a 6 series and the 911 is no worse in reality.

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking more about this subject (of buying), other than the list below are there other things to think about when assessing whether a car might have been tracked?

Service history - I assume M3s are on variable servicing so the gap between services might be an indication of a hard life

Service record - I read somewhere BMWs have a full history and as such you could see if pads or disks had been replaced in a short timescale

Asking the current owner how it performs on a track - bound to catch a few out keen to impress how good the machine is

Tyres I suppose are easier to hide. I have seen (on PH) some examples with agreeable miles for about the right price with appropriate spec etc, but being the car they are I bet a good few have been tracked. A chap at work was/is a very useful driver and suggests track days destroy cars - especially if you are thinking of keeping them a good while. I'm not into track days so I've not idea what to look for other than what is officially auditable.

Thinking more about this subject (of buying), other than the list below are there other things to think about when assessing whether a car might have been tracked?

Service history - I assume M3s are on variable servicing so the gap between services might be an indication of a hard life

Service record - I read somewhere BMWs have a full history and as such you could see if pads or disks had been replaced in a short timescale

Asking the current owner how it performs on a track - bound to catch a few out keen to impress how good the machine is

Tyres I suppose are easier to hide. I have seen (on PH) some examples with agreeable miles for about the right price with appropriate spec etc, but being the car they are I bet a good few have been tracked. A chap at work was/is a very useful driver and suggests track days destroy cars - especially if you are thinking of keeping them a good while. I'm not into track days so I've not idea what to look for other than what is officially auditable.

Buy one from an old git like me, no tracks or thrashings.

Prices for M3's have dropped a lot of the last few weeks and I would anticipate further movement over the winter months. £30k should buy you a good, fairly low mileage, prob still with a bit of warranty remaining - rememer you can renew BMW warranty on a monthly basis now rather the yearly one off payment.

Have a look on Pistonheads to see cars appraoching 30k rather quickley

Yep, seen loads thanks Max. Prob looking to buy early next year so just getting excited for now. Lots of Fox interiors though - very definitely not looking for that colour combo - black on black all the way.

Interesting abotu the warranty too - didn't know that.

• 2 months later...

Well, just got back from a test drive in one (white, so not my choice) and oh my god, what a nice car.

The power delivery is just so smooth and with the EDC on the comfort setting it is such a civilised place to be. Speaking to AMD this week after my LCR was serviced they suggested it was a very different delivery of power to mine and I thought it might disappoint me without the big thump of power in one go. It really didn't disappoint at all - I was smitten. It felt really planted and the traction control light didn't come on once. The engine really opens up after 5k and you can feel the extra power delivery.

I'm no driving god and didn't press on with any aggression but I could really see myself living with it. I've not tried the RS4 and some guys in the motor trade I was out with on Friday night said I'd be mad not to even try a Carrera 2S (especially from a residual perspective).

So, just need to make sure my rental flat is re-let at the end of next month and away we go I suppose - the hunt begins. Although with the training I'm doing for my 125 mile canoe race I've no time at all to go travelling round viewing them so I can see this purchase not happening for a couple of months yet until after the race - but something convenient might come up I guess.

Man alive - the M3 is such a nice car, I really want one! I even returned 21mpg (giving a clear steer on my driving style!!) so it wasn't even as thirsty as some find it. I

(edited to say - and Chris, I did have a look at the ashtray lid and thankfully didn't have the same issues as you had!!)

Edited by Andrew

• 11 months later...

Thought I might put down some other servicing cost specifics in here for any others thinking of an M3. As I get firmer costs I'll bung them in here.

Brake fluid service (every 2 years OR when the car tells you sooner) - £75-£105 (cheapest and most expensive I found)

Vehicle check (every 2 years OR when the car tells you sooner) - £75-£130

Oil service (as above with frequency) - £500 ish

Oil service with spark plugs - plugs required every other oil service starting at the third (as above with frequency) - £700-£800 when supplying own oil (9l for the engine)

• 3 weeks later...
Like others have said, the M3 is the newer car, so the technology in it (iDrive) is leagues ahead.

Fuel consumption, well I AVERAGED 24.3mpg in mine and didn't drive it like a pansy, it was also mapped, filter and custom exhaust. MOLLOX lives/drives in London, so 16.1mpg is quite possible along with his binary right foot ;) Always run it on 99RON fuel, or it'll be below 400bhp. (395bhp on 95RON, 426bhp on VPower)

Tyres are £1200 a set unless you stick shite ones on.

Servicing is fine, only discs and pads to concern yourself with.

Will need a litre of oil between services, but it's similar if not worse on the Audi V8.

No real faults to be honest, I'd only buy a car with Bluetooth and EDC (electronic damper control) though.

+++

Did you find the map did anything mate?

Did you find the map did anything mate?

Top end didn't really change, but there were gains mid-range where there's a slight flat spot normally. Air filter made no difference to power or sound. Exhaust was improved with a back-box. I'd probably go Miltek next time, just for it being a one piece unit like the OEM.