Diesel engine problems

TyreA4C

I’ve just replaced the engine in my 1.9 diesel golf (non-turbo) after a failed timing belt wrecked the original one engine and now I’m getting clouds of smoke from the exhaust together with oil spluttering out. Now this all sound pretty terminal to me and suspect that I’ll have to lift the head and see what’s occurring but before I do I need a little help from you folks again. The engine was supposedly a go-er from ebay (yes I know that I should know better, but….), it went in fine and fired up first time and even sounds quite sweet – well as far as a diesel golf can! It runs up to temperature and sits happily ticking over for ages and even at elevated revs (2-3k rpm) and normal exhaust smoke – almost none. However if I drive it just 2 minutes down the road I get clouds of whitish smoke pouring out the back with oil. Now I’m fairly mechanically minded but what mechanism is in play that causes this to happen? Any clues will be appreciated.

Should have said that it's a 2001 car with the AQM engine with engine mileage about 85k.

Edited by TyreA4C

Hi!

It could just be dirty injectors (get some Millers diesel injector cleaner),change the oil for proper PD oil, change the filter too.

Check the turbo pipes and also clean the EGR/inlet manifold.

Can you hear the turbo?

Under idle conditions, the engine is not under load - only when it's pulling does everything get put under strain. Check/clean the MAF really carefully with Wynns Carb Cleaner and cotton buds.

Good luck!

Thanks Cruiser,

BTW it's a non-turbo but I did clean all the exhaust and inlet routes. The engine oil is the stuff the local autofactors recommended so hopefully ok but I’ll give the injectors cleaner a go and also look at the oil filter. The oil filter assembly was from the original engine so should have been ok but no harm in checking. How can you check the MAF?

Thanks.