DRL wannabes......foglights to manual

Soulboy

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fair enough, but I still don't see the correlation between me driving with my headlights on, and me being branded a "maniac" by your daughter. Nor do I see reason for that information to have made it into this thread, apart from it being a personal jibe because I sometimes drive with my headlights on. Which you think dazzles people.

No offence taken, just thought it was a bit odd.

....You should know by now that I'm a bit odd :grin: - I was just winding you up a bit +++

I VAG-COMed my car so that the rears lights come on with my DRLs. i.e. they are now on all the time.

I couldn't see a downside to doing so. It can only help the car be seen as per the DRL idea.

....I'm in the process of modifying my tail lights similarly. As in the Passat, Jetta, and Golf Plus, the inners are silvered and moulded to receive LED's but VW never fitted them.

Reading between the lines :

You could do it anyway with the existing bulbs but you won't until you've done it with LEDs?

I did it on my last A4 and that had incandescent rear bulbs...although the current A4 does have rear LEDs.

....Not quite. The pic shows that the inner units (mounted on the boot lid) make provision for LED's but don't have them installed but the outer units do:

LED_closeup1.jpg

Same on the Passat:

eurp_0801_10_z%2B2007_vw_passat%2Bsmoked_led_tail_lights.jpg

We are installing LED's and trying to work out a controller so they comply fully with MOT and UK law.

Would these save you some time/trouble ? Dectane - LITEC VW Seite 1 The rears on with fronts should just be a vcds setting the regionalisation to the Nordics or simlilar

....Yes they would - Thanks, Martin +++. However, I do think they look rather chavtastic, as do the rest of this company's range of lights. Perhaps if they weren't so black they'd be more like oem Mk6 tail lights. They offer a silvered version and that really looks bling!

I find this whole discussion a bit weird. Foglights in the 1970s low-slung rally car sense may have been blinding, but the front ones these days have never struck me as any brighter than (non-full beam) headlights.

The sound and fury about them from people who don't like the idea of them is all very well, but is nothing more than a fashion statement. Anyone who claims to find them genuinely blinding is exaggerating a bit, methinks. They're far less bright and piercing than xenons, which don't seem to arouse anything like the same venom here - why?

Rear foglights are more penetrating, yes; but when someone drives toward me with front foglights on in a modern car I barely notice.

What annoys me much more, are the muppets who use *inadequate* lighting - half-beam on a grey day or even rain on a dark winter afternoon (what the hell do they think they're doing - preserving their battery?) - dipped lights simply vanish on a low-contrast day.

Given that as an alternative, I'd much rather everyone drove around with headlights and foglights on all the time, tbh.

I find this whole discussion a bit weird. Foglights in the 1970s low-slung rally car sense may have been blinding, but the front ones these days have never struck me as any brighter than (non-full beam) headlights.

The sound and fury about them from people who don't like the idea of them is all very well, but is nothing more than a fashion statement. Anyone who claims to find them genuinely blinding is exaggerating a bit, methinks. They're far less bright and piercing than xenons, which don't seem to arouse anything like the same venom here - why?

Rear foglights are more penetrating, yes; but when someone drives toward me with front foglights on in a modern car I barely notice.

What annoys me much more, are the muppets who use *inadequate* lighting - half-beam on a grey day or even rain on a dark winter afternoon (what the hell do they think they're doing - preserving their battery?) - dipped lights simply vanish on a low-contrast day.

Given that as an alternative, I'd much rather everyone drove around with headlights and foglights on all the time, tbh.

Totally agree, I don't drive with my fog lights on, unless I'm trying to provoke TSN members, but I don't really see what the problem is, and have mentioned it in one of the many other fog light threads, that I've never been blinded by fog lights.

Mk5Meet_29Nov08.jpg

You do realise don't you that everyone except me (red car nearest camera) has got their fogs on but I have my DRL's on :grin:;)

Yes, I know my number plate was missing - It fell off somewhere in Wolverhampton but I had a waver note from the police in case I was stopped.

Edited by RedRobin