Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
collease

Photo editing softwear

25 posts in this topic

Ok everyone i need a bit of help here.

Just got myself a canon 400d and will soon be wanting to edit some of the photos i will be taking. Only problem is i have no idea what sort of softwear is going to be best for me to use.

I don't want to pay a stupid amount for something that is going to give me a profesional package and confuse the hell out of me. All i want is something that will firstly work on my rubbish laptop and will also be simple to follow.

Any suggestions most appreciated. I have googled it but am getting more confused by the page so far. :ffs:

Google 'Picasa'.

Free, software from Google and it'll do most of what you will probably want in a very easy to use environment.

You could always just take decent pics to start with! :P

For 200 notes, I think I'd rather enroll on a photography course!

Is it really worth paying £200+ for lightroom though?

Every single penny. And Tipex comment just isn't valid if you are taking shots in RAW, they MUST be processed in some way.

As DHA has shown in the Photography Studio thread Lightroom is worth its weight in gold to a photographer. The speed and control it gives you to enhance the best shot is not to be sniffed at in the right hands. We aren't talking photoshop type editing by the way, you have to take a good shot to begin with, but the lightroom will ensure a great shot ends up fantastic. +++

Every single penny. And Tipex comment just isn't valid if you are taking shots in RAW, they MUST be processed in some way.

As DHA has shown in the Photography Studio thread Lightroom is worth its weight in gold to a photographer. The speed and control it gives you to enhance the best shot is not to be sniffed at in the right hands. We aren't talking photoshop type editing by the way, you have to take a good shot to begin with, but the lightroom will ensure a great shot ends up fantastic. +++

The results do speak for themselves, but £200 for what would only be a nice way to finish off the best holiday snaps is a bit steep.

Maybe I'll see if I can pick up a hooky copy :grin:

From what collease is saying I can't see how £200 would be justified.

I get the impression he wants something to do the very basic stuff quickly and easily - and Picasa lets you do that.

Plus, there are a mass of web based photo editors available now (completely FOC) and some of them are excellent.

If people will spend £200 to adjust contrast/brightness/red eye etc then good on adobe, cos you can do all of that in free apps- and just as well, if not better.

From what collease is saying I can't see how £200 would be justified.

I'd agree, but was commenting on point the software wasn't worth the money and IMO it most certainly is.

If I was getting free and only wanted to edit something image by image I'd use GIMP. Picasa isn't bad with JPG but not great at modifying RAW and doesn't have much flexibility to alter the image, GIMP is better but its more a one by one editor.

Chav, if you can show me a piece of sofware that allows me to manage 1000 shots on a shoot, tweaking everything from white balance to in built lens correction and everything else in-between quickly and easily for free I'm all ears. +++

I almost suggested GIMP but when I noted he said it needed to be easy to use I changed my mind.

I don't think GIMP is particularly friendly at all unless you've got previous experience of using the likes of Photoshop. It's good, I agree, but it has also declined a little in recent years in my opinion. Documentation hasn't been maintained as well as it used to be online and it became a bit buggy about 18 months ago. We only use PS at work now, as part of CS4, and we've not gone to 5 yet. Won't be doing any day soon at Adobe's crimimal licensing costs either.

Can't add much except to say:

simple editting [lighting etc] Picassa really is rather good and I would recommend you try it to see if it meets your needs or is too basic.

Powerful and free - Gimp. but very non-user friendly.

More powerful but not free: Photoshop Elements

Sorry guys been away from the computer since i posted the question so apolguise for the delay. Yes i am using RAW and £200 is rather alot for a package that i'm sure is fantastic but for my limited use at present free slightly less advanced packages are better i feel. Maybe once i have started my photography course i will change my mind but for now free is good.

I will try Gimp out and see if i can figure it out i enjoy playing with things rather than using manuals to get to the results properly. If it confuses the hell out of me i will try picassa.

Thank you for your quick replys and sorry for the delay in responding.

Going to have a play this weekend and see what i can come up with. Won't be posting anything on here though until it can rival the stunning shots already present ha ha.

Waylanders suggestion of getting Elements is a very good one, its the first package I got and it offers much of the ability of its bigger brothers at a far more reasonable price, Amazon have them going fairly cheap but it is worth it especially in managing all of the image you are taking. +++

Another one for lightroom here as well.

You can amend make the same changes to multiple pictures in one go. works a treat once you figure out how to use the bugger!

Plus, there are a mass of web based photo editors available now (completely FOC) and some of them are excellent.

iirc Picasa links to an online editor called picnik.

what are some of these really good ones you allude to here?

might see if they do the simple job i need for my holiday snaps and try a few out.

if not then pse it is as per other thread

I have been using Picnik for a few months now and it's excellent.

Loads of features, very fast, accessible from anywhere and very easy to use.

You can get CS5 on a 30 day trial. Allegedly, if you clear certain parts of your registry then you can redownload it for another 30 day trial ad infinitum too???

CS5 is way too much for most people though.

It is immensely powerful but I would warn anyone thinking of trying to use it illegally to be very careful. Adobe's detection system in CS5 is poo hot and getting around licensing can lead to a communication from Adobe that could cost you a lot more than a legitimate license would.

aye. i have used cs4 in the past when trying to sort my business software. it is too much for casual use imo even though i think i have access to a licensed version via work.

j vastly underused the potential of pse8 even.

will give picnik a look after i get back from hols then mrme.

I like the convenience of Picnik and the sheer simplicity of it.

You can spend 15-20 minutes exploring the options and realise you've got pretty much everything you'd ever want - and nine times out of ten it gives superb results. The fact it stores all your photographs securely for you is a huge bonus too in my opinion.

Doesn't Flickr give you access to Picnik, or a similar online editor?

Works reasonably well, is free, and works off the shelf on any computer you're on, I think. And Flickr itself is good for sharing the results with family and friends, once you've worked out the odd Photostream way of organising.

I bought Lightroom 3 in a flush of enthusiasm but, er, haven't taken the wrapper off the box yet. Maybe I'll, um, just go do that :o

Sorry guys been away from the computer since i posted the question so apolguise for the delay. Yes i am using RAW and £200 is rather alot for a package that i'm sure is fantastic but for my limited use at present free slightly less advanced packages are better i feel. Maybe once i have started my photography course i will change my mind but for now free is good.

I will try Gimp out and see if i can figure it out i enjoy playing with things rather than using manuals to get to the results properly. If it confuses the hell out of me i will try picassa.

Thank you for your quick replys and sorry for the delay in responding.

Going to have a play this weekend and see what i can come up with. Won't be posting anything on here though until it can rival the stunning shots already present ha ha.

Gimp is great, but if you are an Apple user - have a look at Pixelmator -> Pixelmator

I dropped using Photoshop since discovering it and have been very happy (it was also the first imaging package to offload computational work to any GPUs if present as system hardware).