[Audi A3/S3] Any Long term issues keeping my S3

Rich

Been having thoughts of getting rid of my S3, but there is nothing that I can currently afford that I would prefer. So my thoughts have changed to keeping the S3. Currently its 1.5 years old (import so warranty runs out in 6 months) and has covered just over 19k miles.

I generally drive quickly, but not like I'm on a rally stage (normal driving don't go much above 4-4.5rpm) and I always let it warm up and cool down.

If I was to keep the car what sort of problems might I expect apart from the normal servicing? It is also on AVS, I presume there are no long term issues with this type of service?

I think I remember someone having an S3 with 100k + miles with very little problems, is this true and is this more than a one off case?

Lastly it appearts most people on hear don't think a third party warranty is worth it. Is this true, if not can anyone recommend a company that are good!!!

Cheers

Rich

[ QUOTE ]

Lastly it appearts most people on hear don't think a third party warranty is worth it. Is this true, if not can anyone recommend a company that are good!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Rich, surely an Audi warranty?

Good post though, I have considered the same myself. I worry about things like the Haldex.

Dunc

[ QUOTE ]

Rich, surely an Audi warranty?

Good post though, I have considered the same myself. I worry about things like the Haldex.

Dunc

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but even with the Audi warranty, its expensive and I'm curious to how extensive the cover is! Again is it really worth the cost of £600 a year?

Its things like the haldex that worry me too, but also this is the first turbo car I've ever owned and the cost of that turbo alone sits i the back of my head....and of course if the rumour I heard is true that the clutch is a £1k job to replace???

To be honest I don't normally keep cars for long (1.5 years is max so far) so I'm not used to thinking about the long term costs. I can't see me keeping it until much past 60-80k I should think....especially with a 12-15k annual mileage.

rich

Rich, if your happy with the car then why are you looking to change it ? (excuse my ignorance if i've missed the post). I've done nearly 62k in my S3 (MY Mar 2001) from new. Had it AmD'd at about 32k and had no major problems that can be attributed to the remap, ie turbo etc.

Personally i'd stick with the Audi warranty. From what I've heard you will get alot let hassle getting your car repaired with one than if you have a 3rd Party warranty. This can be largely dependant on what relationship you have with your dealer.

IIRC the haldex ECU is about £1200 and the clutch is about £1k from Audi, but there are others ie MTM which are £800 or less. The clutch is not covered on the standard warranty, so you may get some 'goodwill' from Audi UK upto 70%.

Pays your money and takes your chance to be honest.

Graham

Thanks for the replies. Graham as far as the thoughts of changing, its because I may need to downgrade to get a house! For now though as I really don't know whats happening, so I've decided to keep the car and just save what I can for the house, if it turns out I do have to sell it then I'll do it later!! You never know I might manage to pay it off before that time comes, in which case the chances are it will stay anyway!

Still can't make up my mind about the warranty. The haldex failure would cost the same as 2 years cover, but then considering the build quality that Audis are (or at least are supposed to be) I'm wondering if its that big a risk not getting a warranty.

As for Audi good will gesture.....the battery in my mates TT failed after the warranty, for him paying the labour would of cost something like £15 fitting, Audi did a good will gesture and paid part or all the cost of the battery and the labour jumped to £50, supposedly because of additonal testing they would be required to do on his old battery! Ok in the end he saved some money but it still would have been cheaper to bought the battery himself and fit it! smashfreakB.gif

So Graham what sort of problems have you had in that time? Think I said mine is a 2002 (52) reg, currently done 19k. Only things current gone wrong are front fogs replaced and a new dv. Oh and I do have an annoying squeaky drivers seat and a loose side indicator pending. As you can image the dealer doesn't seem to interested in the squeaky seat, but I'm not just gonna shut up about it, its no little squeak!! Its louder than any squeak from my Dad's cheap runaround...a 15 year old 520!!

Anyhows, think I'll investigate the Audi warranty just in case. Is there any info on line that shows exactly what is/isn't covered and prices etc??

Cheers

rich

Keep pestering the dealer about the seat - had the same problem with mine, 4 attempts and a new lumbar support later the problem was still there iamwithstupid.gif, than they got their upholstery guy (who comes in from outside) to strip the seat and do his own little "fix" which he has done to other S3s. Betting is the first few times it was in they probably didnt even try and fix it sportifs2.gif

smashfreakB.gifsmashfreakB.gif

My S3 is about to go through 80K, no major components replaced so far, clutch is fine and it has been chipped by APR a couple of years ago which hasn't caused any problems.

Cambelt change is due at the next service but appart from that no major expenses yet <touch wood>

Chris.