AC dies after long drive/ Wet floor

rrathi

Hi,

I was driving my 06 Passat a humid July day. After like 3 hours on the road, I felt very humid in the car... although AC was on. Then I found that there was no air coming out of the vents, although I could hear the sound of the fan.

Took it to a dealer, he found nothing...charged me $50. The next day my passat died completely on a highway... got it towed to the same dealer... he said it was a fuse...after looking at my car for like 3 hours. Anyways, kept driving the Passat... and the problem of my AC dieing kept coming back...but only after I had been driving it for over 2 hours or so... I would turn the AC/fan off...for like 15 min, it would work fine....for next 10 or so minutes... and die again.

My car also started to smell... every morning before going to work as I would open the door to sit, it would smell real bad...

Last night as I was cleaning the car, I saw a cut in my carpet on the front passenger side... which looks like it is from factory itself as a similar cut is present on the driver side too. Through the cut I could feel the under pad of the carpet really wet... and the floor also pretty wet. All the wires running underneath were also wet.

I was on a forum of Chevy...where people are having similar problems and they say it is the blocked Evaporator... that is causing the AC to die after 2-3 hours and also causing the wet carpet on the passenger side. My mechanic (not the dealer) does not believe it... please help!! Could the two be related..i.e the AC dieing after long drives and the wet floor on passenger side...

I thought i replied to this earlier but here we go again!!!!! Basically in a nutshell you evaporator inside the car is icing up resulting in a wet smelly carpet once it thaws out. Its the evaporator temp sensor adjacent to the clutch pedal above the foot rest.Its not quite long enough and needs to angle more into the airflow to help regulate the temperature. Ive replaced a few of these for this problem and are relatively easy to change. Ill PM you when i have the modified part number tomorrow............in the meantime strip out the seats, carpet and the sound proofing to get all the water out to do the job properly and dry that puppy out.

Regards Tidy

Thank you cruiser647 and TIDYDUBS...

I went to the dealer yesterday... he still does not believe that evaporator and the water could be related and he ran my AC for 45 min and it worked fine... all he said to me asked me was to bring the car in when the AC is not working. As for cleaning and all, he just told me we cleaned everything when we serviced your car... but I found a lot of debris (leaves etc) just outside the pollen filter area...

In the mean time I removed the carpet as much as I could and drained like 2 liters of water from underneath the front passengers side. I do not have equipment to remove the seats but this weekend that would be my project!

@TIDYBUBS: When the evaporator thaws, why is the water coming in side the passenger side... is the evaporator located that side?

Its just one of those things the aircon drain cant take all of the water out. The drain could be detached? Plus water will find any way it can to get out. Worth a check. Just be careful on your seat removal AIRBAGS get a pro to do it if you dont know how to.Sounds like your dealer has not got a clue to be honest.....Where you located? Modified part number is 1K0 907 543 F temperature sensor not sure how much and no more than about 20 minutes to fit.

Regards Tidy.......

I am located in the East Cost of US, Boston. I took my car to the dealer and one another shop ... they both do not want touch my Ac and are pressing on the idea that the leak is from somewhere else...

I just have to clean the water mess, then wait for AC to act up and take it back to the dealer... at least he promised me he will fix it for free as when I brought th car to him first it was under warranty.

Looks like I am not touching the seats then... will just try to soak the water... getting very bad... terrible smell!!!! Wish it was summers...

The original one will be of grey in colour, generally quite short too,this one here.The modified type is black and longer with the tip angled into the airflow. No real way of checking it its just not long enough just change it you will know the difference when the post-25648-137914458905_thumb.jpgweather picks up again.Hope the pics are ok they are what i scanned earlier Regards Tidy

post-25648-13791445891_thumb.jpg

sensor will be for right hand drive by the centre of the heater box as i stated in earlier posts......check your drains not sure of your weather at moment but obviously you need to sort this sensor soon. Its only a 2 pin sensor look under the dash you will find it im sure im not too sure where the left hand drive ones are......if they are the same?

Ok no worries mate..........where the centre console is by the ash tray keep to the side there on drivers side and follow it to heater assembly, the bit that houses all the flaps and positioner motors, its more on the side near driver not the passenger picture......that there is your fan resistor and pollen filter you may need this info when that goes. Look at the drivers pic go to the right of that in line with the brake pedal there just a bit lower in that vicinity you may have to remove the trim thats there torx 20 screw its a long trim that runs parallel with the centre console.......as i said look both sides as im not sure on a U.S. spec car

let me know im around all evening minus 5 with a tad of snow on the ground good pics by the way Regards Tidy

TIDY, could not find where exactly the sensor is :( I did open up the side trim but am not sure where to find the sensor... I am attaching 2 pics...1st (1636) is from the driver side and second (1637) from the passenger side... maybe you can help me locate it...

post-39614-137914459605_thumb.jpg

post-39614-137914459609_thumb.jpg

Loving the pics good work!!!!!!!!see the pic without the pedals........that grey sensor with the red wire in the black connector grip the sensor and twist, dont force it. It should come out thats your temp sensor of which you need to fit the modified one as the pictures ive posted above....................hope all goes well.Regards Tidy

OK Tidy...I am back here... help me more my friend. I went looking for the sensor. With auto parts shops not having it, had to go to the dealer. He showed me this: Genuine VW / Audi Water Temperature Sender (06A-919-501-A / 06A919501A) and the part number was: 06A 919 501 A. He said it was called the sensor or even sender. I told this dealer (not the one I go to regularly) my story and he confirmed what you are saying but was surprised that 06 Passat also had this problem, according to him it was very very common in older passats. He also said he would rather do it for me as I might break some components in the hole and also told me that I should get the whole set up cleaned where he would dismantle my whole system and clean it because there might be debris that could be blocking the pipes leading to water in the passenger side. And charge would be over $800. I said no... and came back without buying the part...decided to show it to you first. The cost of the sensor is like $33.

No im not being funny you need that sensor in the picture, in the other posts a few back that i sent. That picture you just put up is a coolant temp sensor.....seriously now get the sensor with the bend in it. Those coolant temp sensors yea they did give grief but VW have modified that type to green 4 pin years ago and the later Passats have grey 2 pin which is NOTHING to do with your air con. GET the sensor in the picture i posted up with the bend in it.