Audi RS3 launch confirmed....

RedRobin

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its only in Sportback and 7 speed S-Tronic. Where's the 'shot themselves in the foot' icon? Its like they made Robin's perfect car but didn't think about anyone else :P

RS 3 Sportback < A3 < Models < Audi UK

car_photo_407254_12.jpg

car_photo_407278_25.jpg

car_photo_407275_25.jpg

car_photo_407269_25.jpg

car_photo_407266_25.jpg

car_photo_407260_25.jpg

car_photo_407257_25.jpg

car_photo_407251_25.jpg

car_photo_407245_25.jpg

car_photo_407248_25.jpg

car_photo_407242_25.jpg

14.296256.jpg

14.296257.jpg

generic_image.img.png

generic_image.img.png

generic_image.img.png

exterior_redesign_75_25_02.png

How tacky does this look?

exterior_alloy_wheels_02.png

Single sided tailpipes - the first time they've broken the RS tradition of having tailpipes on both sides - and it looks like S3

exterior_ovalexhuast_01.png

generic_image.img.png

Standard sport seats

generic_image.img.png

Buckets

generic_image.img.png

generic_image.img.png

generic_image.img.png

RS steering wheel

generic_image.img.png

S-tronic

generic_image.img.png

generic_image.img.png

Good news is, the engine hasn't been detuned, like a lot of the rumours promised, from the TT-RS so its 340bhp.

generic_image.img.png

generic_image.img.png

I'm sure its going to be an amazing car to drive, much like the TT-RS, but they've limited their market by making it Sportback and S-tronic. I know I'm not interested no matter that I couldn't afford the 3 door manual anyway. Welcome the Golf R party Audi. Lets see how many of these you shift.........................................

And some extra bad news, its 125kg heavier than the TT-RS at 1575kg. Its also one of the only cars to have wider front tyres than rear (235/35 ZR19 vs 225/35 ZR19). Err, whaaaaaaaat?! But its 4wd, why would you do that? To keep costs down for retooling the rear arches (fronts are lot smaller so cheaper to retool to make wider). But won't that upset the handling?

I wonder if you can option B&O, magnetic ride and ceramics? That'll take it to £46k straight away.

Indeed P_G - just what I thought. Ticking the Factory Fit Options boxes on this with Buckets, Sunroof, Phone Prep etc, takes it to "expensive car territory" !! Anyone seen a Standard Spec. with Oprions List guide ?

I guess numbers will be kept low, which will help. I suppose it'll appeal to the 'boy racer' who wants to grow up a little. But anyone still interested in out and out performace will surely choose a Feckus RS, Impreza STI or (maybe) Golf R instead? Price-wise it's into the territory where I think buyers tend to be looking for something a bit bigger and a bit more grown up, i.e. S4, M3 etc.

Lots of standard kit though, reckon you would only need BOSE in addition to this lot ! Spec an S3 up to this level of kit and it would be about £35k ?

19“ ‘5-Arm-Rotor’ design titanium finish alloys with 235/35 R 19 front and 225/35 R 19 rear tyres

Sports suspension

RS braking system

Driver’s Information System (DIS) with lap timer

Satellite Navigation system – DVD-based

Audi Music Interface (CD changer can be ordered in lieu of AMI)

Mobile telephone preparation – Bluetooth interface

quattro® all-wheel-drive

Audi backguard head restraints for front seats (adjustable)

Driver, front passenger and front side airbag system and Sideguard® airbags

Electronic Stability Programme (ESP), including ABS, EBD, ASR and EDL

ISOFIX child seat preparation for front passenger seat (with airbag disabling feature) and rear seats

Front and rear fog lights

Rear head restraints (adjustable)

Remote central locking

Servotronic (speed-dependent) power steering

Thatcham Category 1 alarm and immobiliser

Tool kit and car jack

Warning triangle

Front Sports seats (optional front bucket seats available)

Black Silk Nappa leather upholstery with RS embossing and silver stitching

Heated front seats

Driver and front passenger seat manually adjustable

Seat belts = 3-point on all seats

Split-folding rear seats (1/3; 2/3 or all)

7-speed S tronic transmission

Sport button which improves throttle response and alters the exhaust note

Aluminium-look pedals

Dual-zone electronic climate control

Flat-bottomed leather 3-spoke Sports multi-function steering wheel, with ‘RS’ emblem and gear-shift paddles

Floor mats in black with silver piping

Front centre armrest

Illuminated vanity mirrors

Piano Black inlays and door trims

‘RS’ instrument dials

Door sills with RS 3 Sportback logo

Dampered grab handles

Electric front and rear windows

Heat insulating glass

Heated rear windscreen

Steering wheel adjustable for height and reach

Washer fluid level indicator

Twin chrome oval-shaped exhaust pipes

Aluminium-look door mirror housings

Black brake callipers with RS 3 Sportback emblem

‘RS’ body styling

‘RS’ Sports suspension

Xenon Plus headlights with automatic headlamp adjustment, dynamic range and headlamp washers with LED daytime-running lights

Acoustic rear parking system

Electrically operated and heated door mirror

I suppose it'll appeal to the 'boy racer' who wants to grow up a little. But anyone still interested in out and out performace will surely choose a Feckus RS, Impreza STI or (maybe) Golf R instead? Price-wise it's into the territory where I think buyers tend to be looking for something a bit bigger and a bit more grown up, i.e. S4, M3 etc.

....Don't be so dull! You're sounding like a 60 year old :grin:

Only one generation of cars ago you could have got a fully spec'd up M3 or V8 S4 for what you'll pay for an RS3. Even the B7 RS4 list wasn't far off.

I can see Audifiles going for it, but who else? Anyone still in boy racer territory would choose an RS 500 every time. Anyone else who thinks over 40 grand is simply too much for a hot hatch will be looking at lightly used M3s and C63s instead. It's even in seriously good 997 territory.

Only one generation of cars ago you could have got a fully spec'd up M3 or V8 S4 for what you'll pay for an RS3. Even the B7 RS4 list wasn't far off.

....Can you also remember when a bag of sweets only cost sixpence, garcon?

I can see Audifiles going for it, but who else? Anyone still in boy racer territory would choose an RS 500 every time. Anyone else who thinks over 40 grand is simply too much for a hot hatch will be looking at lightly used M3s and C63s instead. It's even in seriously good 997 territory.

....Well I'm definitely not an Audiphile - I find most of them dull. Excellent quality but still relatively dull. As for the RS 500 it's too big and neither fish nor fowl. The RS3 'mini-Avant' would be perfect for my uses.

....Why on earth are people making such comments incapable of thinking beyond getting the maximum for their money?

If I wanted to spin £40k on a car, I sure as sh*t wouldn't buy an RS3. I'd buy a used CSL or GT3. Both will be quicker, both will handle better and both will be more fun.

Does an RS 500 or Golf R come with 5 doors?

Golf does - not sure on the Feccus.

I love it that the focus is on the cost of the RS3 - let's be real here, this is a car enthusiasts forum and whilst price is important, we all know that the RS3 will be bought by folk that want one and for whom the price is largely irrelevant - it's just a new toy to have. +++

But then neither a CSL or GT3 qualify in the same market category as an RS3 is aimed at I suspect. Two less doors for a start. Does an RS 500 or Golf R come with 5 doors?

The comment aimed at my post wasn't (from what I read) aimed at the practicality of a £40K car, it was aimed at the amount of money +++

Give the choice if were there, I'd choose a 2 door RS3 over a 4 door one, but I'd still choose a used BMW or Porsche over a new RS3.