mk4 1.8t or 2.8 v6 um??

IslandeR

hello chaps! can i borrow your seemingly endless amounts of advice? next year {in a few months} im going to be upgradeing my current car mk4 2.0 to either a 1.8t or a 2.8 v6 4mo i just love the mk4's they look great! especialy with the r32 body kit!,are there any problem areas with ethier of these? the haldex for example? and whats up with the 4x4? from what ive read its only 4wd when it looses traction on the front wheels?. also would the 2.8v6 be more expensive on the insurance compared to the 1.8 T?. thnks..

I'd get a 1.8T - more tuneable. No, there's no problem with the Haldex 4WD system, it's just not Torsen 4WD, like you get on the bigger Audis and Subarus. Yes, the 2.8 4Mo would be more expensive, althogh adding any body kit to a car will crank the insurance up.

im kinda wanting the 4mo,im not realy interested in easy mod power gains although that would be a bonus!.only thing idd realy do to either of these is a nice exhaust and a remap, but im not liking the hidden costs of insurance and petrol on the 4mo, think neaer the time when i have the money for it, is get insurance quotes on both, which has the better acceleration? im guessing the 4mo? tah..

There is zero point in putting an exhaust on or having a remap done on a V6 4Mo. None. Unless all you want is more noise - it's a very un-tuneable engine.

Depends which 1.8T you're comparing against re acceleration. The Anniversary 180 would probably out-run an 4Mo.

Fuel consumption will kill your joy in the 4Mo as well - mid 20s will be your average, whereas you'll get low 30s out of the 1.8T.

• 3 weeks later...

Make sure you get one thats had good quality oil too Mobil or Castrol with decent service history.......not KERBSIDE Motors. OIL is not oil get the right stuff!

The 1.8 T for me is ok its just they dont like long service intervals, shite oil and constant kicking the living daylights outta it or driving like you STOLE it.

They suffer from the old BLACK DEATH, oil pumps, strainers on the oil pumps block up, the timing chain adjusters bugger up due to lack of oil pressure or Shite oil.(BIG BUCKS WHEN THEY GO WRONG AS THEY WRECK THE ENGINE.)Just done a Golf and got an Audi to look at Monday! Genuine oil filters only!!!!!TRUST me on this.(Generally cheaper than ya after market crap!!!)Get a standard one, but if you tune it understand the mods you are carrying out.

If you looking around see if you can find a mk4 anniversary within your budget - they still seem to hold very good money so it should stand you in good stead when you come to sell on.

The Anni version is slightly tuned over the normal 1.8t and has the factory body kit, bbs alloys and different trim - only available in silver black or red tho.

I wouldnt bother with the 4mo.