Gran Turismo 5 gets big 608MB patch

Andy_Bangle

gt5-band-aid.jpg

Getting ready to fire up Gran Turismo 5 this morning? Polyphony Digital would like you to wait a few moments, because there is a patch that needs to be downloaded... and it's 608 megabytes. Don't fret though, According to Eurogamer, this update brings a few new interesting features:

- Seasonal Events: Fresh racing events that allow GT5 users to compete against each other to win rewards and experience points. Leader boards will allow you to see where you stand compared to the rest of the world.

- Online Car Dealer: A new dealer lot that will focus on popular and rare used cars. This is a nice change of pace from the constant stream of odd JDM Civics and Subaru 360s that seem to wind up in our Used Car lot.

- Online Race Rewards and Experience: Just like it sounds... this adds rewards and experience points for races won in online competitions.

- Mechanical Damage: It was made available for online races but has now made its way to the offline races as well.

- HUD: You can disable the HUD display for a full-screen view of the action.

- Improved Rewards: The rewards for certain challenges, such as the AMG Driving Experience, have been increased.

- GT Academy officially launches as of 20/12/2010

[source: EuroGamer.net]

I think I'll be holding off buying GT5 now till early-ish next year - hopefully with all these patches incorporated on the disc.

This. Funks me off no end when you think you'll have a quick bit of gaming only have to update this that and the other. It's infuriating and probably the main reason I hardly use my PS3 anymore.

The update doesn't take long and personally I'm enjoying seeing new features added to the game.

I thought GT5 was fairly good at the start of playing it, but now I've started to drive more cars its getting better and better the more I play it. Its well worth any hassle about downloading any patches to play the game IMO, you just turn it on before you know you want to play with it and give it a 15 minute head start. +++

The update doesn't take long and personally I'm enjoying seeing new features added to the game.

I thought GT5 was fairly good at the start of playing it, but now I've started to drive more cars its getting better and better the more I play it. Its well worth any hassle about downloading any patches to play the game IMO, you just turn it on before you know you want to play with it and give it a 15 minute head start. +++

Come on lets be honest it's a very very average game. The cars look pretty but the tracks are dull and the level of polish overall is embarrassing, especially considering development budget/team size and time.

Also as a game developer I can understand mac and many others frustration with the patch/upgrade process on PS3....it puts off 10,000s of casual players.

A user should never be forced to update to a newer version. Simple as.

Agree Chav, it's a 1080p version of GT4. And the graphics aren't even as ground-breakingly good as GT4 were. A very sorry tale, but one that I hope they learn from and take to GT6 when they start on it. In the mean time bring on the patches to make this the game it should have been 3 years ago.

If you leave your PS3 unhooked from t'internet you won't have to do the patches right?

And if you want to talk about realism, the damage model is embarrassingly amateur, as is the artificial "intelligence"..... come on its not 1985 anymore!

@GT5 team, feel free to pm for advice :P

Yeah I will agree with that, apparently they have a complete new AI to deliver into the game but it isn't there now and guess what will be part of a patch :grin:

I must admit at first I thought it was a big miss but as I say the more I play it the better it seems to be getting, but it most certainly isn't the finished article.

I'm looking forward to having to download 1GB+ of patches on Christmas morning before our copy can be used. Trying to explain to excited kids Santa doesnt know his arse from a hole in the floor when it comes to making computer games, is tricky.

And the Copying of 8GB of game data onto the HDD. I suggest getting it out and patched up Christmas Eve.

This. Funks me off no end when you think you'll have a quick bit of gaming only have to update this that and the other. It's infuriating and probably the main reason I hardly use my PS3 anymore.

Any why are the patches on the XBox games so small in comparison.... ?! :ffs:

Boils me pee having a spare 20 mins to play and finding I need a PS3 or game update :rolleyes:

The problem with GT5 is that it doesnt have any decent alternatives on the PS3. As such it could be piss poor compared to what it should be upon release but then what is the racing gamer going to do? Not buy it and stick with crap like NFS?

I for one am happy they are realeasing updates for it on a regular basis. I found that the single player seems to be a fair bit shorter in terms of number of races etc compared to that of GT4. (although its been years since i played GT4) Im lucky i have a 10mb connection with a 1100 kbs download rate so didnt take too long before i could get on with it. Deffo feel for people with slower connections as people have mentioned above.

Ive done all of the 'normal' races bar a couple like the F1 jobbie and all thats left is the endurance races. Going to be a PITA to do them without falling asleep. The extra races are great although the last set from yesterday seem rock hard compared to the first set they released!