VW Amarok

DanG

had the opportunity to have a decent look at one of these over the weekend, but no one was able to give me a price.

They are due to launch in March and actually looked good / robust even if just parked up - one might be an option for the business.....

Anyone know how much they will cost?

Cheers

Are VW's really unreliable these days?

My only experience is with my Touareg i bought back in 2004 and went through to 2007 which was a brand new model and in fairness had a couple of minor issues with rattles and the TPMS, but other than that it was superb. The 4motion system worked very well in the snow etc.

I know that the 2.0TDI engine fairs well in the Skoda Taxis I get, most of which are up there near 200k miles...?

Are VW's really unreliable these days?

My only experience is with my Touareg i bought back in 2004 and went through to 2007 which was a brand new model and in fairness had a couple of minor issues with rattles and the TPMS, but other than that it was superb. The 4motion system worked very well in the snow etc.

I know that the 2.0TDI engine fairs well in the Skoda Taxis I get, most of which are up there near 200k miles...?

It's the 2.0tdi that is causing most of the issues, what with it's chocolate oil pump.

The majority of those taxis will probably be the older 1.9 which is a great engine.

Look dont be slagging it off just yet and no VW's are no more unreliable than Audi, Merc Bmw Ford or any other manufacturer for that matter.It will kick the ass out of a Mitsy that aint too hard......they are for Chavs. Hilux diesels just coke up and end up blowing up or using so much oil they sieze up.

Ford pick ups, 1.25 Zetecs new Fiesta + Ka , Jag engines Landrover engines all of which they have had there own problems with there engines and take it from me i have a a very good friend on the engine production line at Fords too so im kept in the loop.

I thought you were some what more educated than that Tipex? Give em some cred.:eek:

No its not a parts bin model as you put it either. Off road good too seen them put through paces...... i doubt i cant get hold of the video but they were abused!!!!

YES 2.0 PD diesel engine is a dog and when they aint looked after......ie piezo pump injectors,balancer shaft/oil pump modules, But they have scrapped that pile of excrement being the pain in my side for some while.....CRD common rail all the way matey!!! So far so good, honestly and good MPG and reliability too.

Yes the old PD 1.9's are still good lump.

Try and get Ford to set a world record for fuel consumption on a tank of fuel or what about that engine out of i think a Golf mk 2 that did over half a million miles before needing a rebuild thats on display at Wolfsburg?

Edited by TIDYDUBS

I base my comments on the findings of our 180 car taxi fleet, VAG cars simply aren't reliable compared to all the other mainstream manufacturers.

Half a million miles? thats only 500k, we've got cab's with over that mileage, original engines, still going strong, so not really something worth having 'on display'.

I realise you are slightly biased, being as VAG pay your wages, but I have no particular loyalty to any brand, if something proves itself to be reliable, I'll buy it, and when VAG products become reliable again, I'll start looking at them again, as it is, we've just had too many failures, and the fake posh trim doesn't stand up to the job either.

Cant remember if it was that or a million? Any way it was an eighties car.

What is on you fleet of taxis and what were are your reliability issues i am genuinely interested........trim? well LMFAO POSH it certainly aint!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unless its a Phaeton but i wouldnt buy one or have one as gift! Too expensive and im by no means Biased as VAG do not pay my wages.....the **** company i work for do and the wage does not reflect the sh1te i have to deal with sorting problems. :ffs:

Problems with the VAG range, be it Audi, Skoda or VW (we have no Seats) are poor quality trim, it looks nice with it's rubberised soft touch coating, but it all peels off.

2.0 Tdi engines with the hex key drive for the oil pump, the scenario goes like this - no warnings until oil light comes on, new oil pump fitted (and hex key), couple of months later (if that) turbo goes due to oil starvation as you don't get a warning that the pressure is low until it's non existent, new turbo, few months later, new engine, repeat.

Other problems include dual mass flywheels and coil packs (on petrols).

Right, hang on a second. Park the whole VAG parts bin thing and being rubbish off-road.

The last time VW did a pick-up, they "partnered" with Toyota - ultra reliable, great off-road, but they didn't sell many, because they were expensive by comparison to everything else. Still see some around occassionally.

I don't know whether they've partnered with anyone on this, but if you take the Transporter, they're no less reliable than Transits or Vauxhall vans. Park the whole car as taxi thing - vans I know about :)

We have vans too mook, we have several T5's and transits, and quite a few Peugeots as well as a small fleet of Vito's, all 7/8 seater minibuses.

The Vito's are the most reliable, without question, and the Peugeots are not far behind, in terms of value for money, the Peugeots win hands down.

The T5's and the Transits are much the same really, neither are unreliable, they just aren't quite as reliable as the mercs or pugs.

In terms of looks, the T5 is IMO, the best looking in sportline guise.

Oh, and we don't have any Vauxhalls, because they are just re badged Renaults, and we don't touch anything Renault!

I thought they were re badged Nissans? Or does it depend on the model?

I'm not sure if Nissan also use the same platform/engines, as no one offers conversions on the Nissan so never looked at one, but the Vauxhalls and Renaults are identical except for the badge, and use nearly all Renault parts.

Renault and Nissan are closely linked so they could well be the same.

I called a dealer today and whilst they dont have any to view (they might have a LHD one in a month) you are 'welcome to order one'.... ??

:rolleyes:

Prices run from £16,500 to £21,000 (presumably plus VAT)

actually the cheapo one is probably rear wheel drive only judging from the website.....

And

It 'looks' like a new VW TDI engine with common rail and twin turbo..... but then I am not massivly up on my TDI engines.....

Edited by DanG

We have vans too mook, we have several T5's and transits, and quite a few Peugeots as well as a small fleet of Vito's, all 7/8 seater minibuses.

The Vito's are the most reliable, without question, and the Peugeots are not far behind, in terms of value for money, the Peugeots win hands down.

The T5's and the Transits are much the same really, neither are unreliable, they just aren't quite as reliable as the mercs or pugs.

In terms of looks, the T5 is IMO, the best looking in sportline guise.

Oh, and we don't have any Vauxhalls, because they are just re badged Renaults, and we don't touch anything Renault!

French muck!!!! hate em complete crap!!!!!! Yea i understand what you mean on the trim why they did that is beyond me.....why dont they just leave it? Oil pump granted, and as i said the 3C Passat 2.0 litre Pd is the worst engine they have done!!!!!

The latest common rails are by far superior from 2009 up untill the newer 3C.......Cam belt changes are a lot higher miles and the latest generation 1.6 CRD's are quite tidy too. I will keep you in the loop of any real major hicups Tipex.

Tidy+++

I called a dealer today and whilst they dont have any to view (they might have a LHD one in a month) you are 'welcome to order one'.... ??

:rolleyes:

Prices run from £16,500 to £21,000 (presumably plus VAT)

actually the cheapo one is probably rear wheel drive only judging from the website.....

And

It 'looks' like a new VW TDI engine with common rail and twin turbo..... but then I am not massivly up on my TDI engines.....

Its a good lump so far, id opt for the higher output single turbo at moment im not up to speed with the twinnies, but its Common rail diesel CRD and they pretty goodon the fuel to in other cars not sure on the Amarok.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I had a look around one recently, they had a few of them on a stand at the deserted extreme sports show on the seafront (it was p1ssing down with rain, but my lad still wanted a look), I can't say I was impressed either, very utilitarian, which would be fine, if they were either built well enough, or marketed as being a utility type vehicle, instead of trying to sell them as a 'cool' alternative to a car.

To be fair I think they all pitch at the trendy 'lifestyle' market. The difference is the Japs have a solid history in building tough, reliable pickups that the commercial/agricultural user will appreciate.

If you want to buy a pickup as a passing fashionable fad, may as well have a German badge on it and buy an Anorak.

If you want one to cope with being bashed about and misused on farms or building sites and still outlive your children, buy a Hilux.