600 miles in the R

ChrisCSL

So far I've just past the 600 miles mark. Not been going crazy as I've been running in. So far I'm really impressed with the R. Even on part throttle and keeping the revs down, driving mostly in a gear higher than I want. It pulls like a train, always on boost but with such a linear power delivery it feels more na than turbo. Still bloody quick. The manual said keep under 2/3rds of top speed, so that's keep it under 100mph then. No big deal. I've been enjoying nice country roads and even running in, I'm still overtaking cars and flying along and a serious lick. I'm also impressed with the traction and lack of understeer. Even in slow very tight corners (or small roundabouts) an R32 would have washed out big time but the R just turns as if on rails. It's got a great front end. I would imagine if I pushed more, the rear end would go before the front (can anyone confirm?)

Inside the R is a nice place to be. I'm pleased I specced leather, pano roof and all the toys. I've loaded music onto the hard drive easy enough, the iPod control is very good, Dynaudio sounds good enough and my iPhone works a treat through the bluetooth. My little son fits fine in the back in his Maxicosi and his large pushchair fits nicely in the boot when not using the family Land Rover. It's all good.

Even the fuel economy is 30mpg average on a tight engine. Getting 36 on the motorway. The Roc rocks!

Looking forward to passing the 1000 mile mark :-)

Chris

The rear does come out before the front goes. Very odd after the r32 isn't it. Are you on dunlops? I rate them on this car but think I'm going to try supersports next. Look forward to hearing your thoughts once run in, I keep toying with the idea of a map. Its no slouch by any means, it's just the engine is such a peach I want to see what it's like.

Thought so. Massive improvement on R32's handling.

I'm on Bridgestone and so far happy with the grip. I'm in two minds about a (future remap). On one hand it's good gains for the money looking at Revo or Superchips. On the other hand I wouldn't want to ruin a good package as it is. Would a remap overpower the good traction or generate torque steer? I'd be very interested to hear your findings if you went for it.

I've not driven a Roc-R, but I have had a Golf R for an hour.

Despite my general dislike for anything VAG, I really liked it, but all my criticisms of it seem to be addressed by the Roc-R, i.e. numb steering, too heavy, unnecessary 4wd system.

As I say, having not driven the Roc-R, I cant be sure, but I'd guess it's by far the better choice of the two given they are basically the same bar my issues with the Golf I mentioned above, which the Roc-R seems to address.

Oh, and according to my dealer, I'm not likely to get a drive in a Roc-R, as they are like hens teeth apparently, as apposed to the Golf R, of which there are plenty.

I've not driven a Roc-R, but I have had a Golf R for an hour.

Despite my general dislike for anything VAG, I really liked it, but all my criticisms of it seem to be addressed by the Roc-R, i.e. numb steering, too heavy, unnecessary 4wd system.

As I say, having not driven the Roc-R, I cant be sure, but I'd guess it's by far the better choice of the two given they are basically the same bar my issues with the Golf I mentioned above, which the Roc-R seems to address.

Oh, and according to my dealer, I'm not likely to get a drive in a Roc-R, as they are like hens teeth apparently, as apposed to the Golf R, of which there are plenty.

I know what you mean and the Scirocco R has the 3 issue area's covered. However modern power steering has less feel these days on pretty much all new cars. The only exception I've come across is a Lotus Evora which has power steering but doesn't feel like it!

• 1 month later...

I don't see how the 4WD on the Golf is perceived as a negative.

Or am I missing something. Living in the rain soaked UK.

Obviously less grip makes sense in a performance car??

I also don't see where these loads of Golf Rs are available and no Rocco Rs. Not the story on the r forum.

And don't even get me started on practicality and vision. Let alone Marmite looks of the Rocco (which I actually quite like, but lots of people dont).

They are both good cars and imo the Golf is overpriced, but I disagree completely about the 4wd and steering.

Edited by Soulboy