Ps3 ylod

m4ttm4son

Was just an hour into a nice GranTurismo 5 session and "beep", PS3 turns off, red light flashing. I hit the power, starts up, green light, looking good, then a yellow flash and "beep" "beep" off again. I think I have the dreaded Yellow Light of Doom :(

It's one of the launch consoles so I suppose it was inevitable, but am pretty upset as I haven't managed to get the backup working and I can't be doing with going out and getting a new one. It's not like I use it constantly either. Why don't things just last any more? :sauer: My PS1 probably still works!

Anyone managed to fix this? I know Riz was going to have a go.

Fired up GT5 last night for the first time in months and keep thinking my original console will surely give up the ghost any second as they all seem to eventually!

Have watched a few YouTube vids out of interest and looks do'able but sure I would feck it up if I ever have to have a go!

Good luck if you do attempt it!

looks do'able but sure I would feck it up if I ever have to have a go!

I'm in the same boat, launch console, rarely gets used, makes me nervous every time I turn it on.

But still, what have you got to lose if it does feck up? might as well give it a go!

I'm in the same boat, launch console, rarely gets used, makes me nervous every time I turn it on.

But still, what have you got to lose if it does feck up? might as well give it a go!

Exactly, I've just ordered a new heat gun and some of that thermal stuff. May attempt it in the week if I can't wait til next weekend.

Apparently trying to vacuum the dust out now and then is a god idea. Though it seems as though the fail is just inevitable due to the poor thermal stuff Sony used.

Why don't things just last any more? :sauer: My PS1 probably still works!

I have in my attic (and my mum & dads attic too), a Grandstand sports system (pong basically), an Atari 2600, a Commodore C16, a Spectrum 48k, a Nintendo NES, a Commodore Amiga A500, a US NTSC Nintendo SNES, a Japanese NTSC Megadrive, a Sega Saturn, a Sega Dream cast, a PS1, a PS2, an original Gameboy, a Gameboy advance, an SNK NeoGeo pocket colour, 2 Gameboy DS's, 2 Sony PSP's, an Atari Lynx, and a couple more I can't remember of the top of my head.

Every single one of them works perfectly, the only things that don't work, are light guns, but they aren't faulty, they just don't work on Plasma or LCD TV's, If I hooked them up to an old CRT tv they'd work fine, I just don't have a crt tv any more.

In addition to that lot, for anyone interested, I've also had an Xbox 360, an SNK NeoGeo AVS, a PC Engine Core Grafx, and a Colecovision, but those either got sold or traded for other systems.

What are the chances of my PS3 still working in 20 years time?

That's easy. Nil :(

If it had a Blu-Ray player, I'd go get an XBox 360 tomorrow.

I thought it did now?

Having had both, they both have reliability issues, but the PS3 wins hands down for me, it's a personal thing I suppose, as both are technically superb but I prefer the PS3's games.

I thought it did now?

Having had both, they both have reliability issues, but the PS3 wins hands down for me, it's a personal thing I suppose, as both are technically superb but I prefer the PS3's games.

I'm sorry... this is totally off-topic... but I can't take anything you say seriously with that signature :roflmao:

I have in my attic (and my mum & dads attic too), a Grandstand sports system (pong basically), an Atari 2600, a Commodore C16, a Spectrum 48k, a Nintendo NES, a Commodore Amiga A500, a US NTSC Nintendo SNES, a Japanese NTSC Megadrive, a Sega Saturn, a Sega Dream cast, a PS1, a PS2, an original Gameboy, a Gameboy advance, an SNK NeoGeo pocket colour, 2 Gameboy DS's, 2 Sony PSP's, an Atari Lynx, and a couple more I can't remember of the top of my head.

Every single one of them works perfectly, the only things that don't work, are light guns, but they aren't faulty, they just don't work on Plasma or LCD TV's, If I hooked them up to an old CRT tv they'd work fine, I just don't have a crt tv any more.

In addition to that lot, for anyone interested, I've also had an Xbox 360, an SNK NeoGeo AVS, a PC Engine Core Grafx, and a Colecovision, but those either got sold or traded for other systems.

What are the chances of my PS3 still working in 20 years time?

Wot no Vectrex?! :)

I think it all stems from "Evil Blue Screen of Death". Although I do remember when it was just Evil Blue Screen. No death.

Haven't seen a 3DS yet. Not really that bothered TBH. I did laugh at all the "adults" queueing to get one on day 1. Mobile gaming is still for kids IMO. Especially anything by Nintendo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After reading a number of threads on other forums (sorry) it seems there's quite a few refunds being given by retailers to YLOD sufferers under Sale Of Goods Act.

Since the retailer that I got mine through (Virgin Megastore) went bust, I'll have to chase Virgin Credit Card (CC company that was used to make purchase). So instead of trying to fix it, I'll be going down this route. There isn't too much game saved stuff on the HDD, so won't be too much of a loss. Plus replacement games will be out soon enough...

Let you know how I get on +++

• 6 months later...

An update.

I didn't go down the route of SoG Act as Virgin Megastore is closed down and the credit card receipt is non existent :rolleyes:

But... got round to buying a new PS3 this weekend after all my diy jobs have come to a neat pause - Yay! :) Just need to get my data across so thought I'd try the "hairdryer" fixing technique before I start taking things apart. Five minutes of hot air followed by an hour cooling and plugged it all in. Hit the eject button... and GT5 pops out :D

In order to do the transfer it needs updating the firmware, so I managed that and then just as I get both PS3 menus to data transfer mode, it beeps and switches off again :( ylod

So I've blasted it with 10 minutes of hairdryer until I could smell a bit of burning (tutorials recommend 15 minutes!) and some of the plastic on the exit vents are slightly warped. I'll give it another go tonight and if no go, then out come the screwdrivers. Otherwise, I'm just hoping the OH still has the backup on her external HDD and I'll have to start GT5 all over again :eclipse:

Other than that, where's the cheapest place to pick up a copy of Modern Warfare 3? *what the frig is the shooting smilie?*