Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Waylander

Flying with EasyJet - tips?

23 posts in this topic

Never flown on an airline which doesn't have non-allocated seating before.

Will be 4 of us (youngest child 6)

I didn't bother with Speedy Boarding - I was hoping turning up relatively early to check in and having children might mitigate against the need.

Am I likely to find that we are all 4 spread out all over the place?

What ever you think, ignore it and think the worse.

Turning up ealier does nothing, you need the 1st on product which allows you and 50+ others to have a mini scrum, rather than a big one.

It's cheap and the service matches the price. They are the 4rsehole of the flying world. In retail terms it's like comparing Waitrose with Lidl.

It's cheap and the service matches the price. They are the 4rsehole of the flying world. In retail terms it's like comparing Waitrose with Lidl.

I'd say RyanAir is the Lidl of the airline industry, not Easynet.

I find Easynet are pretty good to fly with. You may find you'll get in the boarding group between speedy boarding and everyone else but that seems to vary depending on who is working the gate.

Thanks.

See my initial expectations were rock bottom until I saw on TA that people spoke alot more highly of EasyJet (to Sharm) than they did of the Thomson/Monarch/Thomas Cook flights so I got confused (in a positive way).

I don't have a problem at all with Easyjet, the cabine crew are polite unlike RA. They do bare the brunt of air traffic delays but the service itself is fine..

I travel budget airlines a lot, Easyjet aren't the worst, my suggestion would be to get to the gate early and ask for assistance in boarding. They'll probably let you on first if you have very young kids. My F-I-L went to Sharm with Easyjet and said it was fine. At worst it will be a full flight and the cabin crew might ask other passengers to move to enable you to sit together. If you're that concerned, try Thompson who have allocated seating.

RyanAir are the worst, a classic case of you get what you pay for :(

I've only flown Easyjet twice and I was relatively surprised.

It was comfortable, I had no problem getting a seat and there were lots spare on my flight. I found it no different from any other flight except:

1. The unalloacted seat and..

2. The cattle rush of idiots queuing to bolt onto the plane as fast as possible (that was ludicrous)

I travel budget airlines a lot, Easyjet aren't the worst, my suggestion would be to get to the gate early and ask for assistance in boarding. They'll probably let you on first if you have very young kids. My F-I-L went to Sharm with Easyjet and said it was fine. At worst it will be a full flight and the cabin crew might ask other passengers to move to enable you to sit together. If you're that concerned, try Thompson who have allocated seating.

RyanAir are the worst, a classic case of you get what you pay for :(

I flew with them yesterday and paid for Speedyboarding... at Gatwick it was useless as everyone blocked the way to the SB lane, so I got on with everyone else and the boarding gate staff sucked-a$$ ! At Schiphol the gate staff were well sorted, the SB lane was organised and all I did was barge my way through everyone else queuing to gain access to the SB section.

Like others have said, it's a budget ticket, so expect a budget experience. I'd recommend getting there 30 mins earlier that normal if you have kids and ask for assistance boarding... it MAY help! IMO the main issue is the passengers not the airline, no one gives a flying feck and would rather kill you than let you board infront of them.

I had no choice but to fly Easy yesterday as they had the earliest flight out of Gatwick, I do normally fly BA... not because I'm a snob, but because they give you a seat number, a hold luggage allowance AND you can take a piece of hand baggage PLUS a laptop/handbag... all these things are at a serious premium with Easy/RA/BE/etc...

I am truly baffled by SB. When I go for a flight, I sit in the relatively comfy seat of the lounge, and get on the flight last. No queuing and no barging. I have a better experience than the people, who have paid for speedy boarding so they can do exactly the same as me but rather than sit in the spacious lounge, sit in their cramped airplane seat. The plane won't leave until I'm on it and the SB'ers won't get there any faster than me.

Mm, yes. That's a good comment re. passengers as much as airline. However the way they organise the speedy boarding bit leaves a lot to be desired - it's more or less designed to cause fights (e.g. in one case the SB queue is on the inside of a bend in the main queue, and they never bother to announce where it is or that they are asking those passengers to come through, so you end up with everyone thinking you're pushing through them for no reason, when in fact you're trying to get to the service you paid for). All they have to do is organise it better and then it would work.

There are apocryphal stories of people paying for it, queueing at the front, and then getting on the same bus to the plane as everyone else ...

EJ aren't that bad otherwise (I'd never fly RyanAir in a million years). Still, I'd only ever go there if there was no alternative - I'm still a BA loyalist despite everything. My M-i-L has moved out to Spain in a place which is only accessible from Alicante, which is basically full of people who are either on EasyJet or for whom EasyJet is too classy. The chance of me ever going to see her has dropped by about 800%.

I am truly baffled by SB. When I go for a flight, I sit in the relatively comfy seat of the lounge, and get on the flight last. No queuing and no barging. I have a better experience than the people, who have paid for speedy boarding so they can do exactly the same as me but rather than sit in the spacious lounge, sit in their cramped airplane seat. The plane won't leave until I'm on it and the SB'ers won't get there any faster than me.

True up to a point (no real point being at the front just for the stress)... but equally, it's worth having 10 min less in the lounge, to not be squashed at the back for 4 hours next to the loos with the world's fattest bloke next to you and the 2nd fattest in front of you insisting on tipping his seat all the way back. I like to choose where I sit.

True up to a point (no real point being at the front just for the stress)... but equally, it's worth having 10 min less in the lounge, to not be squashed at the back for 4 hours next to the loos with the world's fattest bloke next to you and the 2nd fattest in front of you insisting on tipping his seat all the way back. I like to choose where I sit.

Both valid points - in some ways Drpellypo it is negated by wanting to sit together with the wife/kids.

That being said Delta (spits name out with disgust) managed to not seat me with the wife on 3 of the 4 flights from here to Florida and back despite having linked tickets and trying to sort it got me the great result of a pat-down before boarding as I flagged up earlier.

So - do I ask for assistance boarding when we check in or when we get to the gate?

I think it is a full flight.

I've flown with most of the budget airlines, an have to say, by far, Ryanair are are simply a cut below anyone else, they really are f*cking sh*te, and make Easyjet seem upmarket.

I think the main problem they have, is the culture that has grown within the company, and stems from the top, that the customers are just a pain in the arse, and a sadly necessary inconvenience for them.

And when that cones from the very top of the company, how can you expect the staff to behave any differently?

On a few occasions I've turned up for an EasyJet flight and only managed to get it because of the speedy boarding - they're more likely to offload (when the plane has been oversold) people who haven't paid for speedy boarding.

Speedy boarding worth it's price. Even then, you need to be first at the gate, ie standing for a good 30 mins to ensure you get first row.

Plus depending what aircraft they're using I'll head for the over wing exit seats for a decent amount of extra leg room.

Plus depending what aircraft they're using I'll head for the over wing exit seats for a decent amount of extra leg room.

And I was recently told that all the airlines have decided to add a premium over other seats for those positions. Was I being spooned bs pie ?

And I was recently told that all the airlines have decided to add a premium over other seats for those positions. Was I being spooned bs pie ?

No, Airfrance charge extra for these type of seats already.

Some do, but not all. It'd be difficult for an airline without allocated seating to do it anyway.

If you're that concerned, try Thompson who have allocated seating.

I work within the Thomson HQ. We don't unfortunately, not for free anyway. I think it's about £12/15 for short to mid haul per adult, and £25 return long haul. It's been that way with our company since 1999, we did a lot of research and people were willing to pay to chose specific seat numbers. This means if Mr.X Wants to sit in a middle row of three it may well separate Mr & Mrs Y. So we don't intentionally split people up but your not guaranteed to sit together unless you pay. I understand that the seats are pre allocated the day before so turning up early won't make any difference. Watchdog will be covering this on Thursday, to be fair its same with our rivals at Thomas Cook as well.

It's Thomson and not ThomPson by the way +++

I have flown Ryanair once and never will again.

Flown Easy jet numerous times and had very good experience so far - but we don't have kids, which is easier.

In fact I would rate Easyjet higher than Monarch etc on recent experiences.

I work within the Thomson HQ. We don't unfortunately, not for free anyway. I think it's about £12/15 for short to mid haul per adult, and £25 return long haul. It's been that way with our company since 1999, we did a lot of research and people were willing to pay to chose specific seat numbers. This means if Mr.X Wants to sit in a middle row of three it may well separate Mr & Mrs Y. So we don't intentionally split people up but your not guaranteed to sit together unless you pay. I understand that the seats are pre allocated the day before so turning up early won't make any difference. Watchdog will be covering this on Thursday, to be fair its same with our rivals at Thomas Cook as well.

It's Thomson and not ThomPson by the way +++

To be fair I've used Thomson a lot over the last few years, and I've rarely been asked to pay for a seat location - except when I've asked for extra legroom.

I hate sitting in between people or by the window - I've a ridiculously irrational fear of flying, and while I don't know if there's any policy in place I usually find friendly banter with the check-in results in a very helpful checkin in to an isle and away from the window. It's especially ridiculous when you consider my job means I end up flying on average twice a month :eek::roflmao:

Big thumbs up from me for Thomson.

Edited by Mac

Well after my angst it was a fairly painless experience. I booked my seats a week before easyjet changed their checked luggage policy and I am glad I asked them to send me an email to confirm my 2 booked checked bags were "upto 32kg each" vs the 20kg per bag now in place.

got to the airport relatively early but in reality there was no point as they didn't announce the gate until really late and we just made sure we were there when it was announced.

After the speedyboarder and families with young kids (about 20 groups all told) we were next in and had 6 seats between 4 of us.

Clean modern plane with decent legroom. Seats dont recline but given some of the clientelle I can see why (would have caused argy-bargy IMO).

Cabin crew were excellent but 5.5hrs seemed to crawl by.

On the way back it was more amusing as there was the bus to the plane to contend with. Lots of people primed to sprint as soon as the doors (including an elderly couple in their 60s I think who made me chuckle; well-heeled and well-spoken, denigrating everything and everyone around them (including me until they realised I could speak the lingo!) but while quick to scoff at others they woman was not shy in elbowing me and trying to push my 6yr old to get off) opened but by providence we again managed to get on and have 6-for-4 seats with the kids sleeping on 2 of them apiece on the late flight.