Apple vs Samsung

Mac

Has anyone else been following the spat between Apple and Samsung over patent infringement?

You'd have to be on crack to think that Samsung hasn't specifically borrowed Apple's designs in some of their products....

iPhone 3GS

samsung-galaxy-s-to-launch-in-us.jpg

Galaxy S

iphone_3gs.jpg

Even the icon layouts are the same - as is the packaging it comes in :confused:

What's interesting in this whole debate is that Apple is one of Samsung's biggest customers (screens & chips) - now Apple couldn't simply say screw you guys we're going somewhere else could they? Wouldn't that be seen as anti-competitive? I'm not sure. Never mind what it would do to product lead times on Apple's part...?

This will be an interesting one I think :)

My old LG and ones around the time looked nigh on exactly like that samsung as well, though the icons were put in rows lg-arena-km900-vs-lg-viewty-smart-gc900-2.jpg

What impresses me about this one is just how blatant samsung has been, right down to the pack and everything. I'm interested to see how it pans out.

now Apple couldn't simply say screw you guys we're going somewhere else could they?

Im sure i read an article recently, that showed Apple were moving around frequently for flash suppliers, to keep getting better and better prices. I cant imagine they have any sort of supplier loyalty, its all about the money. Therefore as long as Samsung are the cheapest, i don't think Apple will care. It just means Apple will be giving them money with one hand, and taking with the other.

China's a minefield for it. There are some terrifically bad fake BlackBerrys that get made, especially for shipping to africa, as the price point of the device and the ease of recognition makes it a status symbol there. (And the lack of touchscreen makes it cheap and easy to knock off).

Everyone infringes everyone else's patents in mobile devices though, its the way the industry is.