BMW 1 Series M beats M3 around Hockenheim

Andy_Bangle

German magazine Sport Auto just finished pitting the new 1 Series M Coupe up against BMW's venerable M3. The pair locked horns around Hockenheim in a battle for ultimate supremacy that saw the M3 do the deed in 1:14.2. The M Coupe, meanwhile, managed to lap the track a hair quicker at 1:14.1.

That gave the newcomer to the game the overall win and put it just one tenth of a second behind metal like the Porsche Cayman S on the famous track. Is this conclusive evidence that the 1 Series M Coupe is the better performance buy than the legendary M3? Not necessarily. After all, this is just one comparison with one magazine. Still, the fact that the baby BMW can get within striking distance of its predecessor with two fewer cylinders is a testament to the vehicle's prowess.

Sport Auto clocked 4.7 seconds for 0-62mph and 17.2 seconds for 0-124mph.

Hockenheim all from Sport Auto:

Porsche Cayman R PDK 1:12.4

BMW E46 M3 CSL 1:13.5

Porsche 987.5 Cayman S PDK 1:13.9

Porsche 987.5 Cayman S MT 1:14.0

BMW 1M Coupe 1:14.1

BMW E92 M3 ZCP DCT 1:14.2

Audi TT-RS Coupe 1:14.3

BMW E92 M3 6MT (Cup+ Tires) 1:14.3

Audi RS5 Coupe 1:15.3

BMW Z4 35iS 1:16.1

BMW 135i Coupe 1:17.4

Those Cayman times are mightily impressive. I had no idea they were that quick.

I think the Cayman is a great car, but it's image has been tarnished by it's hairdressing Boxster brother... I recon it'd show it's bigger brother 911 a thing or two too !

Shame the Cayman S PDK is slower from a standing start (well, erm, traffic light grand prix, if truth be told) than a certain silver Legacy...

Great bloke, it turned out, as, after four sets of lights doing the same thing (well, he started it at the first set yesterday :D ) he pulled up next to me and didn't look like a hairdresser anyway ;)

I very rarely do standing launches, but it did make me smile :)

There's a couple of guys on OPL who regularly do trackdays together - one in an E46 M3CSL and the other in a Gayman, sorry Cayman S and they're very well matched.

:grin: there's a nice list for that circuit here : Hockenheim Short lap records - FastestLaps.com

The 1 series M is looking like a proper weapon but wouldn't you prefer the V8 noise of the M3?

A bit off topic but you forgot one ;):roflmao:

Hockenheim all from Sport Auto:

Nissan GT-R 1:10.00 - now that IS rapid

Porsche Cayman R PDK 1:12.4

BMW E46 M3 CSL 1:13.5

Porsche 987.5 Cayman S PDK 1:13.9

Porsche 987.5 Cayman S MT 1:14.0

BMW 1M Coupe 1:14.1

BMW E92 M3 ZCP DCT 1:14.2

Audi TT-RS Coupe 1:14.3

BMW E92 M3 6MT (Cup+ Tires) 1:14.3

Audi RS5 Coupe 1:15.3

BMW Z4 35iS 1:16.1

BMW 135i Coupe 1:17.4

Those Cayman times are mightily impressive. I had no idea they were that quick.

I'm surprised at the time for the RS5 coupe :eek: didn't realise the fat slouch was that quick.

I had put my name down on the list for the 1M but decided to leave it to pursue another 911, but am thinking whether to get one for a bit as I would imagine they might trade over list for a while, going on limited numbers and the positive reviews it's getting