Rust on Mk5 Golf

Three_Mile

And they'll try and worm there way out of it in any way possible. I had a rust bubble come up on the roof line above the drivers door when my car was 2 years old and it got dismissed as a "stone chip causing under paint rust" or something similar.

I'm not a chemist but am intrigued how they still can't make a car where the metal doesn't rust?!

There are lots of cases of rust issues on the MKV. The front wing is a favourite - top of the wheel arch on the edge. Under the wheel arch liner there is a piece of open cell foam to keep the wheel arch liner in place. This holds all the moisture and together with the wheel arch liner rubbing a little against the inside of the edge of the wing, rust appears from the inside. Many will be repaired under warranty although some have been unlucky. VW service history helps in their favourable decision. Loads of threads on this on dedicated MK5 gti forums. It's nothing but poor design and guess what.....the MK6 is exactly the same !

Dealer looked at the rust and thought it was as genuine as they come but couldn't guarantee that VW would see it the same way. I await their verdict. It was the first time he'd really looked at the boot catch. As it had been raining it was clear that water pools at the bottom. He thought it was probably worse than it looked and wasn't sure it was a straight grind/fill/paint. He thought they may have to stick a tailgate on.

Apparently the early Mk6 wings are the same, but they have modified the design now.

• 4 weeks later...

VW have agreed to cover the repair. There initial response was, 'it's a known problem - caused by damage'. Who the feck sticks so much of their hand under the badge that you could remove enough paint to reveal the metal. I'm not James Herriot and it isn't a cow's arse!

Indeed, I could only see that ending in tears down the line. The bodyshop guy thought it would be difficult when he originally inspected it. The pressed nature of the metal surrounding the badge was likely to cause grief. Car with Inchape in Chelmsford, they've done a few bits and bobs previously (the good wife having reversed into someone the day before we got married....). Aside from painting the new bumper section purple first time around it's been all good. Thankfully paint matching DBP is not the problem it once was. I should have it back tomorrow or Monday, I'll post up once I've got it back.

Edited by ahankins

Car collected, not able to have a proper look as it was pi$$ing with rain. However it appears to be the right shade of blue which is a good start. I'll have a nose once it's dried off.

I spoke to the bodyshop guy who stripped the original tailgate. He said it's double skinned and that the water had found it's way well in and that the rust was actually quite bad, just not visible. There was no way it could have been repaired. I pointed out the pooling water to him, he'd not observed it before. Crap design for sure. So, I'm glad that one's sorted!

If anyone else sees this on a Mk5, toss it straight to VW!

• 1 month later...

Hi ahankins

VW just turned my rust claim down, the reason "the tailgate handle had initially caused the problem", and that was mechanical and hence not covered by the rust warranty. As far as I'm awear there is nothing wrong with the handle so if it has caused a problem that is just bad design.

Don't suppose you've got any photo's or evidence I can use to show that they have fixed this same fault on another car under warranty.

Thanks

Unfortunately I didn't take any photos. The rust had clearly started inside, you could feel the bubbling on the inner edge.

I had the full support of the bodyshop guy at the dealer. He fully agreed that it is a poor design. It may have helped that he looked at it when it was raining and could clearly see the pool of water.

They seem to be claiming that the handle has caused the damage. I don't understand that, I'd push back on that alone for a full explanation. In my view, unless there was a fault with the handle, it doesn't stack up.

Hi there

has anyone waxoyled or rustproofed their car? if so, does it work and is it worth doing sooner rather than later?

cheers

tasker

Not that i'm aware of. The rusting of wings is down to the poorly designed wheel arch liner rubbing on the inside of the wings eventually creating rust from the inside. VW try to decline most claims saying it is 'mechanical'. I can't see that waxoyling would help much with this.

There are so many folks with wheel arch corrosion issues that i've read on dedicated golf forums - a few also with ar$e end tail badge area corrosion also.

Tarmac-Terrorist,

I know a couple of lads with BMWs who have had their cars waxoyled and then opted to leave the wheel arch liners off.

Apparently, this is a safer option.

In their opinion, as you said, the wheel arch liners cause the very problem they are supposed to prevent.

No pics, but next time i will take a pic or two.

One is a beautiful old yellow E36 bodied M3.

Unnoticeable really, but the waxoyling is clear to see and the lack of wheel arch protectors is obvious once it was pointed out, but otherwise no one would think to notice.

I wouldn't have thought the aerodynamics of the car would be impaired in any way either, as i'm sure after 10 years or more he would have noticed and mentioned it.

I am having my GTi done next week, but I think I will wait and see what the experts say about leaving off the wheel arch protectors.

Will take a pic or two of mine when it is done if anyone is interested.

Cheers - look forward to seeing what it's like. Could be a solution though. I wondered before if it was possible to put a rubber edging onto the edge of the liner (like a thin door seal) so it wouldn't rub the paint away.

My concern would be if it allowed salt / mud spray right into the wing / door shut.

Edited by Tarmac_Terrorist

• 5 weeks later...

Three_Mike and ahankins - I too have the boot lid rust, but am having problems with VW...

VW tried to fob me off by saying that the boot badge had impact damage - which was cr*p, so I contacted customer services who sent out an independend paint assessor who confirmed that it is not through rust, hence not covered by the 12 year paint warranty. VW said that they cannot pay goodwill on any car over 5 years old (apparently a 5 year old car would only receive 25%).

This appears to be a lie, since at least one member on mk5golfgti has a car as old as mine (05) and got the work fully paid for by VW.

How old/what mileage are both of your gti's? I'm looking to get as much proof that they are fobbing me off as possible before I get back to them

Cheers,

Jim

jmarsden0, my claim has been thrown out by VW for the same reason, I too have been given the customer care number but haven't got round to calling it yet.

Maybe if enough claims are being turned down for the same reason, could you say it was a design fault and VW should at lease put something towards the cost as a goodwill gesture?

My Gti has done 63k, but I'd be interested to know, if you can get any extra information out of anybody who had this problem fixed under warrenty.