Sony KDL40EX724BU - 40 inch 3D, HD and LED TV

Andrew

Just bought one of these and had it delivered this afternoon and it is quite some bit of kit. I've networked it with the WiFi so have streamed the TG M3 test through YouTube (first viewing, obviously) and have tried out some of the other stuff.

The HD tennis from Queens on BBC HD was awesome with no blurring that seemed to blight the viewing of fast moving sports on big screens before. It is 200Hz if that actually makes a difference.

Just downloaded an Sony app for my IP4 which allows me to control the TV - makes typing stuff into the internet browser much easier. Quite a bit of content seems to be available but it isn't a full browser - maybe that is to come with an update.

It also converts normal TV to 3D - not got the glasses yet and not fussed about this unless I get myself a nature programme on or something. The only 3D content I saw in a Sony demo was a Whale Shark in a nature programe which was stunning - sport seems a bit pap in 3D.

Isn't technology amazing!

Sounds good, I think the 200hz thing is just marketing bollox these days, as it refers to the scan rate of CRT tv's, and LCD/Plasma tv's don't scan like CRT's used to!

With regards to 3D, the Film/Cinema industry has basically witnessed it wither and die, and is pretty much writing it off as most stuff isn't being made in 3D any more, so it doesn't bode well for 3D content in the home, I don't know what the take up rate for Sky 3D is, but I'd bet it isn't great.

I think the only future for 3D, is going to be gaming, and even that is on rocky ground, as the Nintendo 3Ds has returned very disappointing sales figures, and support for 3D games on the X-Box/PS3 doesn't seem great.

I think the only future for 3D, is going to be gaming, and even that is on rocky ground, as the Nintendo 3Ds has returned very disappointing sales figures, and support for 3D games on the X-Box/PS3 doesn't seem great.

I think that is an interesting point although Nintendo would disagree. They've just hit 1 million 3DS sales after 13 weeks - compared to it taking 4 weeks for the previous model to reach that figure. However, they have always said games would take time to develop, much time than previously and many insiders think the big thing this Christmas will be the 3DS once the stable of games is available.

However, there is another thing...

I'm not even sure gaming is where 3D will impact where compact platforms are concerned. Our youngest got the 3DS shortly after release and she plays it infrequently - but when she does she always plays with 3D off because she says the games are too hard to see! I love it on full 3D mode, but as she is their future then I'd say the signs aren't that good. It's a wonderful deployment of the technology and I still don't quite understand how they've made it look so damned good - but for whatever reason it doesn't work for her.

The disappointing sales comment comes from Nintendo themselves, and I think they spunked too early to be the big thing next christmas, as you say, when there is an option to turn off 3D, or a 2D equivalent, the majority of people don't bother with the 3D.

The 3Ds is a technical marvel, but that doesn't make it a good games machine.

I've always said I don't think 3D will take off, and have voiced that opinion on TSN many times before, and in the past it was purely based on the fact I've always invested in the latest tech, and like a gadget or two, but never found 3D particularly interesting, seems the figures are now showing I may have been right!

If Attenborough comes out with an HD 3D Blu Ray series (which I think he might be working on) I could be tempted by some glasses to take advantage of the 3D, but in 99.9999% of cases it will remain unused. I've not got the glasses anyhow. Got the TV through a cheap Sony deal through a close mate that works there so going for all the bells and whistles was a no brainer really.

I really got the TV to take advantage of Wimbledon in HD ... which makes the missus happy ...

With regards to 3D, the Film/Cinema industry has basically witnessed it wither and die

To be fair, there has only been a handful of films made properly for 3D. Most of the "3D" films are just digitally altered to add 3D effect, and look dire as a result.

Its a massive expense, and change of mindset for the movie industry, and from everything i've seen, they just can't be bothered. Which is a shame.

Which seems to be the polar opposite of the gaming industry, who seem to embrasing it, especially PC gaming. Its a shame that the 360/PS3 don't really have enough grunt for 3D. I'd wager the next generation of Sony/Microsoft consoles will be 3D, and i'll most definitely change my TV & gaming monitor for 3D at that point.

One big problem with 3d that you mainly only come across when you go to the cinema in a non-English speaking country - subtitles!

They generally "float" out in front of the screen and are massively annoying, at least to me - you have to change your focus every time you want to read them. I, for one, can't wait for this fad to die off!

Biggest issue I have with 3D glasses (we have the Panny 50VT20) is they attenuate the brightness of the screen, so playing games like BlackOps where you're trying to see movement in shadows is very difficult. So like previously mentioned, I/we don't use them as the 2D performance of the Panny is so good it really doesn't make a worthy difference.

I had a short play with 3D TV today in Richer Sounds. It's not for me and I tried various different types of glasses too, but I just can't see anyone in our house getting any real enjoyment from it because of having to wear glasses all the time. They were explaining the difference between passive and the other type (can you tell I was listening?) of glasses but neither are for us. They did have some quite stunning set ups in there though and I'm certain to go back there when we next want to change TV. Very impressed with their service and attitude.