Audi A7 fog lights - what is going on?

avantissimo

There are quite a few pictures of the A7 both on the web and the used search locator that show the A7 with fog flights, and then others without.

You can't seem to spec them, nor choosing adaptive lights or led lights seems to make them available.

Can anyone provide any clarification?

Thanks

The fog lights shown on numerous A7s are actually the infra red sensors for the night vision system. If you look closely at the 'fog lights' they actually have a dark tint to them.

They decided to fit the infra red sensors in the standard fog light location (complete with a chrome bezel) so that it didn't look too much out of place. The fog lights have been relocated into the main headlamp assembly now.

Phantom, are you sure?

If you check on the Audi Used Car site there are vehicles which claim to have Night Vision which do not have the 'fog' lights. A simpler explanation might be that very early in the production process Audi decided to re-locate the Fog Lights within the headlamp assembly (and they now seem to refer to them as 'All Weather Lights').

It seems clear that it is unrelated to trim level (SE or S-Line) or LED Lights or Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist or, I think, Night Vision. At one point I thought it was Adaptive Cruise Control with Pre-Sense Front. However I also find used examples with this and no 'fogs'. However I now think I have it.....

Finally, if you go to the A6 configurator and stay with a base model (halogen headlights) you will note it has Fogs. Add Bi-Xenons as an option and watch them magically disappear! All A7s have bi-xenons hence no external fogs (except for whatever reason early models). I think it is as simple as that. Same on the RS5.

I take it back Hashluck :)

Night vision assistant with Pedestrian Detection

With the optional Night Vision assistant, an integral thermal imaging camera, discretely mounted in the front grill, significantly improves safety and comfort when driving at night. Helping drivers’ spot hazards beyond the view illuminated by the headlight beam the thermal camera registers heat sources that are located near, or approaching, the route ahead.

It seems to be something Audi have gone about very quietly. I actually wonder if there is some new legislation around external fogs and xenons (perhaps in line with the forthcoming daytime running lights). In any case the Audi marketing department seem to happy for it to slide in unnoticed. Maybe they think most people would prefer fogs and thus this may be construed as a negative. In any case if it means I can have my 'all weather' lights on, when appropriate, without incurring the senseless wrath of other road users (because they will not realise) then this is probably a good thing. I note that all RS models are without fogs so we are in good company.

The "Fog lamps" are actually the adaptive cruise control sensors, it used to be one unit mounted behind the grill, but now it is a master/slave setup in the left and right grills.

Night vision is mounted discreetly in the grill.

Nearly all the SE demonstrators at the UK dealerships are fitted with ACC and night vision and have the two dark lenses fitted into the grills. My S-line has fog lamps but not in the lower grills. They are built into the main lamp units.