Conjunctivitis and kids at nursery

Booster

Our two both woke up this morning with claggy stuff all round their eyes.

Wife takes them to the docs and gets the usual stuff for conjunctivitis. I pop home at lunch and they are both absolutely fine in themselves and no sign of red eye whatsoever.

We didn't take them to nursery as you aren't supposed to with conjunctivitis but is £100 down the drain and my mum has had to change her plans to look after them.

Would the nursery have realised if we had taken them? I guess not.

Do other people on here send their kids in when they get it?

Some must do at our nursery otherwise they wouldn't have caught it!!!

Tricky one, if it's something like that we'd tend to start treating them and when the symptoms have started clearing up send them in, usually if the nursery are aware of it and you call them first they tend not to mind (depends what the nursery is like, the one my daughter's at is fantastic). As long as they get the kids to wash their hands and keep half an eye on them it shouldn't be an issue.

That does seem quite expensive now you come to mention it! Guess it depends on the age of the kids if memory serves it's quite a bit higher when they're younger becaus they need a higher proportion of carers to kids.

Ours was £33 a day. Drop off at 8, pick-up at 4. Was another £5 for 'all day'. The nursery also had a prize winning chef for the kiddies lunches! +++

Our little one loved the food.

Sometimes the nurseries notice, some don't. Yours, not so as your kids must have got the conjunctivitis from somewhere!

It may be. I dunno!

I'm just in shock!

It's often a subject that me and the lads moan about in the pub and the cheapest than any of my mates pay is £47 and the most expensive is £55. Got a mate in Brighton and they pay £60 per day (but they don't have to provide nappies - big deal!!)

How old are your kids though? Like everything, I think it has gone up in recent years. Ours was £45 per day two years ago.

How old are your kids though? Like everything, I think it has gone up in recent years. Ours was £45 per day two years ago.

6 and 2. I don't remember how much we were paying when the 6 year old went. We're about to look now for the 2 year old. Since my Mrs hasn't worked since we started a family then we haven't had to use one for the early years....but that's obviously cost in the terms of a salary.

I don't see the fuss regarding conjunctivitis, it's a claggy eye and nothing else, right ?

Would you say that if you caught it and couldn't see to work? It's very contageous and you don't want it to spread.

Our Nursery is fine with it as long as its being treat, they will put the drops in as well. He seemed to get it a bit when he had a cold as if his immune system was running a little lower. Not had it in the past few months though.

As for cost its a few pennies short of £40 for full day, some are higher few lower but its really good and well within walking distance so perfect for us. +++

We pay £55 per day all in, with two girls three days a week it's a lot out of net income even with the nursery vouchers.

I deal with a lady he owns three nurseries that she started from scratch, each makes over £70k per year net profit.

There is good money to be made in childcare.

Mini me started nursery a week ago [9 1/2 months old]. £37 a day with food, milk and nappies all provided. Drop off at 8am, collect at 5.30pm. Seems the standard price round here [though this is the only place that provides nappies] - we chose it due to it's outstanding offsted report.

The sickness/virus thing is an eye opener. There 2 days and he caught hand, foot & mouth which resulted in a bad fever for 1 day and a grumpy rashy baby for another 3. From what i can gather, he is going to be ill with something pretty much all the time whilst his immune system builds up - lovely!!

Mini me started nursery a week ago [9 1/2 months old]. £37 a day with food, milk and nappies all provided. Drop off at 8am, collect at 5.30pm. Seems the standard price round here [though this is the only place that provides nappies] - we chose it due to it's outstanding offsted report.

The sickness/virus thing is an eye opener. There 2 days and he caught hand, foot & mouth which resulted in a bad fever for 1 day and a grumpy rashy baby for another 3. From what i can gather, he is going to be ill with something pretty much all the time whilst his immune system builds up - lovely!!

All that early illness does help build the immune, and should make for a stronger kiddy!

Mini Me is bound to get Chicken Pox too in a few months - bound too!