E90 M3 buying guide tips please

Brisel

I'm looking at an E90 as my backside won't fit in the Recaro bucket seats in a B7 RS4! I fancy a change as my B5 RS4 is 10 yrs old & has just had 2 new turbos.

Anything I should be looking out for when looking a prospective buy? Any major weaknesses?

Cheers +++

They are pretty bomb proof, bonnets stone chip if "used properly" and rear tyres are eaten bi-annualy!

All M3's come with ProNav, Novilo sumptous leather interior, cruise and Xenons as standard.

Options I wouldn't buy without are: Bluetooth (iDrive sucks without it), EDC (electronic damper control), parking sensors F&R and Carbon leather trim.

They are truly wonderful cars, given the chance I'd have another at the drop of a hat.

A couple of us on here just bought E92 M3s and I think we are both delighted. I agree with Biscuits and would add USB to the list as well as 19 inch wheels.

I've had to replace the rear tyres yet but when I do I'm budgeting about £350 each.

When I bought mine it seemed to be fairly easy to work out how hard a car had been driven since all the information about its service history is with BMW and information about upcoming services is on the car's on board computer. It is all condition based servicing so if previous owners have hammered it, servicing will be more frequent at fewer miles. I think mine, at 3 years old, had only had the obligatory 2 year service so it hadn't been driven very hard at all. That said, I've read about a school of thought which suggests these cars do need a good spank - a method I've not followed of late since I've put 18 miles on it in 2 weeks!

Mine has most of the options barring TV and front parking sensors so feel free to ask as many questions as you like - I like talking about my car!

A couple of us on here just bought E92 M3s and I think we are both delighted. I agree with Biscuits and would add USB to the list as well as 19 inch wheels.

DOH! Forgot about the USB option, yes, this is very worth while... 19" alloys look the business, but I'd only go for them if you've got EDC to smooth out everyday driving.

Just in case you aren't aware, iDrive V1 has four screens...

CLIMATE - No other options to link to this other than maybe REMOTE HEATING, but I've only ever seen this on a 7 series or X5/6

TELEPHONE - Does nothing at all unless you have BMW Bluetooth option fitted, an alarming number don't, if there is a phone cradle in the armrest it's fitted. If they offer a free "bluetooth kit", walk away.

MUSIC - AM/FM (DAB optional), CD drive in the dash, the USB option is a really nice option and give you a USB and 3.5mm jack in the centre armrest. BMW sell a Y-lead that allows an ipod to connect and then you get FULL control from iDrive and steering wheel buttons. The 'retro fit kit' BMW offer isn't anywhere near as good as the factory fit option and uses CD changer type control of your iPod.

NAVIGATION - The M3 has professional navigation as standard.

Depending what year you are looking at, iDrive V2 comes with a built in HDD to store music on, faster and much more featured menus.

Easiest way to see which version is fitted is from the interior picture...

iDrive 1:

iDrive1.jpg

iDrive 2:

4547635755_pre.jpg

That's very helpful! Cheers! :beer:

I'd rather have another RS4 to be honest but second hand models with the comfort seat option are as rare as hen's teeth.

The beemer sounds like a better daily driver, even though it will be a weekend toy only for me yet it needs to be civilised enough for Mrs Brisel to drive occasionally.

Does the E90 come with anything fancy like serious bucket seats/inflatable bolsters?

I saw quite a few comfort seat models when I was looking - usually spotted because they were less expensive than others.

You get inflatable bolsters but it isn't done as the car corners like I think happens in the RS4 - you do it yourself. Once they are fully moved you do feel quite gripped. You also get other inflatable other bits on the seat like round the lower back etc. Obviously the seats are fully electric too with memory functions.