When was the last time you nearly died?

Calm Chris

Not likely the cliff pics! Gulp!

I wouldn't say I've a risky life style but it seems I've had a few lucky breaks :

[1] As a baby in a pram on the beach a rock fell off a cliff and landed about 5 feet away

[2] As a baby in a pram at a viewing point at Druids bend, Brands Hatch, a wheel came off a Mini and bounced between my parents and me and then over the pram.

(Do you reckon the were trying to get rid of me??)

[3] One New Years Eve party and I got home and to bed (so I'm told). I woke up feeling fine but saw a bowl on the floor and an angry Mrs glaring at me. Apparently I'd thrown up in bed and then a further four times during the night. She couldn't wake me so sat up all night sorting me out and "ensuring you didn't fecking die". Not sure why she went to the effort as she wanted to kill me the next day!

[4] Crashing my car at 110-120mph at the 'ring. I slide along 600 Metres of armco crossing the track twice. A race car apparently did the same a few weeks before and the firmer suspension meant the kerbs launched it over the barrier where it then rolled into the road and was hit by a truck!

[5] Out riding on my motorbike : I was scanning the view for clues as to where the road went and the tree line made it obvious is went straight on over the crest ..... but it didn't. It was a 90degree right. I did go straight on but fortunately the foot path down the side of the trees was clear and I just managed not to hit the trees.

[6] I had a high side on my motorbike at Rockingham in front of about 15 other bikes which I'd just gone past. I was totally off the bike apart from one hand still holding it. I landed on it and went through the gravel and grass all the time thinking it was going down as it was shaking and acting like a bucking bronco. I got through that and then I saw the edge of the track coming. I couldn't slow down or even look to see if it was clear and I flew back on with the bunch of bikes closing on me. It could have been carnage but they'd seen my stunt riding and backed off away from me.

A triple pike with a somersault and a tuck and you may have got a 10 !

Seriously though, you were very lucky especially being alone.

Whereabouts is it? Country?

Lanzarote, far South. The cliffs stretch for miles and miles and you're pretty much in the middle of nowhere after a couple of miles. I did spot a pair of hikers on the path above and they looked very unimpressed with me.

The mistake I made this year was that to avoid luggage weight I didn't pack boots. So throughout the trip I was wearing a pair of Lacoste beach shoes, no socks, a pair of shorts and a T-shirts. Not the brightest thing I've ever done, admittedly. However, it does mean you have to focus and is good for the mind. Well, except for the part when I slipped.:roflmao:

Sweaty hands just looking at those pictures, horrible. You are a mental.

Is it the rush that draws you to do it, or are the views really worth it?

The views off the beaten track are stunning. I saw a whale and a couple of dolphins through the binoculars but they were too far out to get on camera.

I just get very bored, very quickly, and there is a certain tranquility on cliffs unlike anywhere else. I only get the urge to do the cliff walks, as I said earlier on holiday though and if someone suggest going up a mountain I'd think they were mad. I've always lived near to cliffs and the coast in general so I have a good idea of what to do and what not to do, and you tend to get used to the things to watch out for. I can usually spot loose ground well in advance and changes in ground colour, checking to see if there is anything below that might have been 'above' recently etc - it's not difficult if you know what you're looking for.

I'm not at all physically fit, far from it, but heights don't bother me. I did a lot of skydives (started for charity, then for pleasure) when I was in my early to mid 20's (RAPS off Bridlington in the main) so looking over a cliff isn't really a big deal after those.

You see things that you know only people in boats can see and even then few of them probably get close enough. I usually tell MrsMe where I'm off to although in this case I went a lot further than I'd planned to and it didn't help that I'd forgotten to take water with me (though it was only about 31 degrees, it wasn't dangerously hot).

Some of the rock formations are amazing and I like spotting little caves/alcoves. I tried getting down to one but couldn't reach it without putting myself in serious danger because of a gap I couldn't breach. I would have meant swimming and the tides are far too strong. I took this picture of it though.

attachment.php?attachmentid=44365&d=1313850696

post-6775-137914472772_thumb.jpg

Edited by MrMe

Opps forgot a couple.....

Both ski racing....

But recent so kinda slipped my mind.

1, Clipped a gate, landed on my head; feet; head;feet;head; feet. If I had not been wearing a skid-lid; I would not be here. Said skid lid has now been retired. I did stop for a couple of second and the race team were already calling the ambulence before I got up. I should have been boarded and taken to the hospital for scanes etc.... Was fine....

2, Clipped another gate; bounced of elbow (Dislocated shoulder) and then off head (I think) and then spinning in the air for about 10 meters. Landed and then slid for another 10m or so..... Broke two bones in my hand and did "something nasty" to my right leg; had bruises from my groin to the top of my ski boot - did not know anything about it till the next day. Spent about 5 days on Morthine and codine. Some cnut stole my car(and the kids Wii) while I was spaced out....

• 2 weeks later...

Mine seems compared to some of these but still silly...

A few years back wifey had a new mini cd system thingy and wanted it in the bookshelf a short way from the nearest plug. Rather than run an extension lead every time she wanted tunes - I decide to knock up a long extension and tack it to the skirting. I start tacking it to the skirting from the bookshelf end and end up with a bit of 'overhang' that would have caused a trip hazard when unplugged. I then plug it in and try it out. Get caught up in listening to the cricket - then think lets sort that 'overhang' cable - out comes the stanley knife, and I start cutting the cable on my leg as you do. I then wonder why the radio has gone off, I look down and see the live yet cut cord in my hand!