Vredstein Sessanta/Profile Upgrade

Mac

Thought you guys would be interested in my findings on the Vredstein Sessenta's I've recently fitted to my E92.

Firstly, the car came equipped with PS2s all round - the rears were running low at around 2-3mm. In addition, my traction control was knackered before I swapped to the Vredstein units - both of these items make it slightly difficult to make a direct comparison in terms of grip etc.

I had found the M3 quite rear happy on the PS2s, even before the traction control started to go screwey. This is more than likely related to the wear on the PS2s however, rather than anything fundamentally wrong.

The original spec'd tyres were 245/35 fronts, and 265/35s rear. I had read on numerous forums that a number of owners had upped the units to 255/35 and 275/35 rears - simply to improve traction.

An added bonus is that at those sizes there are more options open to you on choice of tyres, than with the stock sizes.

I was set on replacing the rears with PS2s however somebody pointed out that Camskill were running on offer on the larger profile Vredstein Sessantas. In terms of a 'bit of an offer' I could get four Vreds for the price of 2 PS2s... if the write ups on the vreds had been crap I would of course stayed with the PS2 units - but everything I've read about the Vreds has been positive....So, what the hell, I'll give it a punt and try and the Vreds.

Four units ordered in the bigger sizes. Delivered very quickly from Camskill, and fitted by my local fitter for 60 quid. When new they're very slippy - I think that's the same with any new tyre though. Made the first few hundred miles interesting.

Now they're run in though I can offer this opinion:

Tram-lining

Some people have reported increased tram-lining from the larger fronts. I've not really experienced or noticed this. Just to be clear the car DOES tram-line, certainly on some of the worn motorways and dual-carriageways, but I don't think it's noticeably worse than before?

Road-Noise

Subjective opinion, but I think the road-noise is slightly more prominent on the larger Vreds. Not sure if this is an output of the wider profile, or the tread pattern - but I'm sure my PS2s were quieter.

Grip

This is again going to be massively subjective because of the issues I had with my TCU and the low tread on my previous rears...but wow, I'm massively impressed here. The dry grip now means I can launch at full pelt with no moaning from the traction control - there's no way I could do this before without the light flashing like buggery.

The confidence I've got now means I'll also happily lay down the power in the wet too - this is more likely cos the traction actually works though :)

Wet weather performance so far has been confidence inspiring, but again this may because of the issues I had with my TCU.

Summary

Difficult to give an objective review of these units, or the sizing up of the profiles, given my history of the car. I will say though that I love the way the car handles now, and it's not anything like as terrifying as it was. It's secure, and not anything like as tail happy or traction control happy as it was.

So far, I'm more than happy with the tyres, and at half the price of the PS2s they're a complete bargain.

They certainly lasted longer than the Pirellis I had on directly before them, the tread pattern looks odd when you walk up behind the car, and people who notice such things might try and tell you one of the tyres is on the wrong way around, but I found them to be excellent in all respects, and as you say, they are a total bargain, even if they only performed 90% as well as the top brands, they'd be great, but (IMO) they're as good.

The Vreds are an excellent tyre,

The road noise will be subject to the larger size

They should last a long time as well (presuming your not raggingthe car into every corner ;) )

once the Pzero I have at the minute finally wear out im going to try the Vredestein because I have not heard a bad thing yet and we've been dealing them for quite a while now

Tyre wear is subjective, ask Sam how many laps he gets out of his. Even in the R32 I managed 9k miles before a x 4 replacement to PS2's was required.

Unless you own it for 2 full sets, how could you compare wear.

If you feel confident, and they allow you to play hard without bum hole enlargement then all is good.

By comparing to other people's experiences I guess. I doubt I'll keep the car long enough to go through two full sets of new tyres.