The Caterham Build

patently

Of course, you will have been in one. As an aside, what are Koenigseggs like? ;)

:fecker:

Not driven an Academy Caterham, but been a passenger in one at Rockingham on a TD the week before last year's Academy meet there.

Koeniggsesssggerup - I've stood next to one at the Top Gear show - a CCR - now that was a thing of ugly beauty. That's in my imaginary garage of stuff to own one day when I come into shed loads of cash :D

But listen, mate, if you want to go out in as many toys as you possibly can and are happy for people you know and trust to drive your track toy of joy, then it's dead easy - get your arse to some decent track days +++

• 2 months later...

Paper cuts, they hurt... don't they?

Now imagine that with aluminium tape instead of paper.

Yes, I'm just in the process of taping up the bot space to meet FIA regulations. Lots of fiddly little corners, lots of tape, lots of smoothing over and rubbing down and OW!

Bugger. Now I've got blood on the keyboard.

FIA rules require a solid bulkhead between the fuel tank and the driver. Caterham's boot floor is just some Alu honeycomb screwed in place with huge gaps around the edge, so (apparently) what we have to do to pass scrutineering is seal the gaps with silicone and then tape over the silicone with Aluminium tape (this stuff) so that there is a continuous "solid" barrier between the boot - which is open and just behind my head - and the space underneath it where the fuel tank sits.

• 3 weeks later...

I'M A RACING DRIVER :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Passed my ARDS test today. I am now expert in the selection of the perfect excuse for not being quite quick enough.

One of the questions on the written exam is:

When are you required to produce your racing licence?

(a) when signing on at the start of an event

(b) when you need to impress your girlfriend

+ three other options I've forgotten...

Another is:

What should you do with a helment that has been involved in an accident?

(a) Put tape over any cracks so they can't be seen

(b) Throw it away and replace it with a new MSA-approved helmet

© Sell it to another competitor

etc...

No, I'm not kidding. :roflmao:

Went to Oulton Park last year, am at Snetterton next weekend provided I manage to avoid the temptation to dismantle anything.

Good man and well done.

Remember to keep it flat out through Lewis Hamilton corner - one of the new ones on the infield complex. Your head will tell you not to.

Snet is a great circuit - it might be flat but there's some really technical corners.

Have fun +++

• 4 weeks later...

Email received just now from the Motor Sports Association:

------------------

We are pleased to confirm that your 2012 Competition Licence has been sent for printing today and you should receive your credit card licence within 6 working days.

------------------

:grin:

No.1 on Google for 'Caterham blog' and No.4 for 'How to build a Caterham' too. Oh and No.5 for 'Caterham academy' and No.3 for 'Caterham academy 2012'.

Well done Mr Patently and your SEO people.:grin:

Maybe your people should contact Caterham and say why isn't a Caterham official blog at No.1? :roflmao:

If you Google 'Caterham cars blog'....you're above their official blog.:roflmao:

• 2 weeks later...