iOS5...

Hopsta

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Apple has not indicated a specific time of night or day for release, but the company typically launches on pacific time

iOS3 & iOS4 were released at 10:00 PST so that would be 18:00 BST, so wait till you get home from work.

Don't forget to upgrade your iTunes to 10.5 too.

What with all this cloud stuff, and Siri, won't the iPhone 4S absolutely cane your data allowance?

I'm in two minds about how buy mine, I'm leaning towards just spunking the cash on a sim free one, as I still have unlimited data on my 3G contract with 02.

The theory is, that I buy the the latest iPhone every time one is released, and sell the previous one, I'd be taking a hit on the first one, but then every upgrade after that would be relatively painless due to selling the previous phone, as they seem to hold value very well.

What with all this cloud stuff, and Siri, won't the iPhone 4S absolutely cane your data allowance?
Well yes it'll have an effect. Most carriers are expecting big growths in data usage over the next 5 years. Some of the Edge spectrum is being reclaimed for use with 3G/4G for example.

I'm a big user of mobile data - top 5% in our company apparently - and I average around 1 to 1.5Gb/month.

In terms of purchase model - it's the eternal capex/opex argument :) Personally, I prefer low operational (monthly) costs as I get paid sporadically, therefore I don't like monthly bills. For me then capital outlay for the phone+cheap contract works +++ Also means of course that you get the latest kit as and when you want, rather than being limited by contract upgrades.

I'm a big user of mobile data - top 5% in our company apparently - and I average around 1 to 1.5Gb/month.

I vastly over estimated what my use of mobile data would be on my iPad. I took out the 3 contract for 10gb a month at £15.

That was, ooo, 18 months ago?

So, 10gb x 18 = total available use I could have had = 180gb.

The use stats on my iPad which have never been reset say:

Sent: 311Mb

Received: 2.0Gb

A fifth of one months allowance. Argh. I keep meaning to change it whenever threads like this make me think about it.

I don't think Apple TV will let you do that, no. I've got it and I'm not sure how that'd work, but you have got me thinking now....

Beta firmware for AppleTV does allow this apparently - I haven't bothered downloading it however as it would involve unplugging said AppleTV and moving it a couple of metres.