Dan Wheldon

NewNiceMrMe

News breaking that Dan Wheldon has been seriously injured following a horrific race circuit crash involving 15 cars in Las Vegas.

Twitter feeds from numerous reporters now saying he has passed away but I should say these are yet UNCONFIRMED and Ashley Judd has just said he has not reported Wheldon as passed away. Number of other accounts are - we just have to hope that have got it wrong. It is known he is seriously injured.

Wishing him well and that he recovers.

Note: edited now to add that is has since been confirmed that, tragically, Dan Wheldon has passed away.

Edited by MrMe

Oh dear, I saw a news report about 15 mins ago that said he was very poorly and been helicoptered out.

Can't say I know who he was, but any motor sport related death is a very sad, and thankfully these days, rare occurrence.

The footage of the crash is amazing, it's one hell of a crash.

Tipex, I've changed the above as it is now said that some sicko posted the death announcement as a fake RT from Ashley Judd. There has not been any confirmation that he has passed away.

The tweet was picked up by a motoring journalist in the US who RT'd it and that's how I picked it up. He's now saying he was fooled by the 'sick' prank tweet.

I do hope that's what it transpires to be too.

Tipex, I've changed the above as it is now said that some sicko posted the death announcement as a fake RT from Ashley Judd. There has not been any confirmation that he has passed away.

The tweet was picked up by a motoring journalist in the US who RT'd it and that's how I picked it up. He's now saying he was fooled by the 'sick' prank tweet.

I do hope that's what it transpires to be too.

Fingers crossed!

Oh dear this seems very sad indeed.

Max Papis, 2 times winner of Daytona, has just tweeted:

will miss u forever @danwheldon forever

F1Grid on Twitter who have 30,000+ followers have said their sources are reporting drivers were told a few minutes ago that Wheldon had died from injuries sustained.

CBS Sports, as I was typing this, are also reporting that IndyCar CEO Randy Bernard has confirmed Dan Wheldon has passed away.

BBC Sport on Twitter have now reported it too.

Tragic, so tragic.

They're (drivers) saying the track was not suitable, it was too small with too many cars. Could be serious repucussions if this is true. Wheldon was a great bloke who won the Indy 500 last time out by about 50 yards. Very sad day.

So glad I decided to have an early night and not watch the race. Woke at 4am for some reason and couldnt resist checking Autosport to see if Dario had done it, to be confronted with the news about Dan.

The images of Dario as he prepared to take part in the 5 lap tribute are very moving.

RIP Dan.

Very sad news indeed and obviously overshadowed Franchitti's championship win.

They are saying that track was too narrow for that many cars. Another thing that is being questioned was the fact it was a wild card entry to start from the back and a $5m prize if he could win the race. All I know is that a great talent has been lost, RIP

Very sad news indeed and obviously overshadowed Franchitti's championship win.

They are saying that track was too narrow for that many cars. Another thing that is being questioned was the fact it was a wild card entry to start from the back and a $5m prize if he could win the race. All I know is that a great talent has been lost, RIP

Logged on to say the exact same thing. Very sad news and thoughts are with his family. It's a testament to the car designers and engineers that this kind of thing doesn't happen more often.

Now, I didn't watch the race and have only seen the crash once and by know means am I saying it was his fault. However where is the sense in having a challenge like that, I know drivers will be drivers and try to win regardless of prize money but surely he felt extra pressure on his shoulders to overtake more.

Again I would like to repeat that I didn't watch it and am not blaming him for anything, just saying in general its a bad idea, especially as BBC have just said it was only his third race of the season so he could be a bit rusty.

If you put Lewis Hamilton at the back of the grid and told him it was a challenge to get to the front then I would remortgage my house and use the money to bet that he would be involved in an accident.

Now, I didn't watch the race and have only seen the crash once and by know means am I saying it was his fault. However where is the sense in having a challenge like that, I know drivers will be drivers and try to win regardless of prize money but surely he felt extra pressure on his shoulders to overtake more.

I don't think the pressure is any less in other motorsport - OK, so there was a big chunk of money up for grabs, but it's not all about the money, although (as ever) the media have put a lot of hype into it.

Mark Blundell was on the radio this morning saying that the track was totally unsuitable - cars running four abreast and going at up to 220mph.

I've never got into Indy car racing, mainly because it's not on any channels we get (is it anywhere on Freeview?).

I was surprised how many of the cars instantly burst into flames on impact - I guess the Indy cars have different regs on safety re fuel cells?

Very, very sad.

Sadly if the cars didn't explode in to fireballs every time someone farts in the wrong direction, the Americans wouldn't watch it, as a racing spectacle, it's about as dull as it gets, so people only watch for the crashes.

Let's hope they can learn from F1 where every fatality has lead to changes that save lives, I think I'm right in saying there hasn't been a single death in F1 since Senna?

I think you're wrong, but I don't know for sure, as I doubt anyone on here is!

I thought I'd read somewhere that they keep costs relatively low (only $10 million or so) per car to encourage teams because there isn't the same involvement from the manufacturers. But I could be wrong - wouldn't be the first time :D +++

I can't see the teams having a set up and budget like McLaren's or Ferrari's ($3-500m) but I don't know for sure...

Well from what is being said on five live, by a drivers father, the budget for Indy teams is a fraction of that of F1, and the cars are much, much more dangerous.

Apparently they are a lot cheaper to build, have few safety systems, and are faster than F1 cars.

He was saying the whole of the Las Vegas circuit can be taken absolutely flat out in one of these cars, the drivers don't lift, and they do 250mph, which means you have both good experienced drivers, and bad/rookie drivers, inches apart at 250mph.

He also said the number of cars, width of the track etc was raised as a serious concern before the race, but nothing was changed and the race went ahead, I suspect (hope) they might take it more seriously now.

This was the last race for the current generation (Dallara built) Indy League car. Sadly and ironically, Dan was the guy who had been testing the 2012 car with improved safety. Budgets are comparable with GP2 as the teams are in effect buying a kit, but comparisons with F1 are pointless. The safety record of the current car is actually very good and the chassis is certainly very strong and fit for purpose.

High speed ovals are by their very nature more dangerous than road courses, and most of the injuries are caused by contact with the debris fencing (as is the case in Dans accident). Open cockpits are the main issue, in this kind of accident.

As for the Las Vegas Speedway, well its the kind of circuit that leads to 'pack' racing as seen in NASCAR, and this really is the issue that Indycar need to address, as this is not what open wheeled racing is about.

Whoever that driver's father is, he is absolutely spot on. There's a complicated history behind why the budgets are so low, partly down to the split between Indy and Champ cars, and the fact that apart from the keynote races like Indianapolis 500 they play second fiddle to Nascar in terms of fans and manufacturer investment.

P.S. I also bow to Jim's much more detailed knowledge of Indy than mine. +++

the budget for Indy teams is a fraction of that of F1

I agree with that, but what I don't think anyone can qualify on here with authority is whether the safety budget is less. In F1 it's the FIA that make the safety rules, and then the teams have to abide by them, whether it's aero or safety. Who's responsible for the rule-making in Indy?

The safety record of the current car is actually very good and the chassis is certainly very strong and fit for purpose.

Horrific accident and a tragic loss nonetheless - young family left behind and another young talent lost. RIP.