Now it's time for the Cillit Kubang!

Mook

Did I say Cillit? Sorry, I meant Maserati.

Write-up in this month's EVO mag about the Maserati Kabang which first appeared at the Detroit motor show a few years ago and they're pushing it now for release, IIRC, in 2013, as a Porsche Cayenne competitor, with the same 4.7 V8 and a diesel V6.

And it's based on the same platform as....

The Jeep Cherokee :eek:

Now Maserati are desperate to point out that it's just the wiring loom and the main chassis safety components that are common. That sounds as likely as the Citroen Saxo and Peugeot 106 only sharing the sound-proofing.

I get why Maserati are doing it - it's the Asian market driving them, apparently, but holy smoke, is this the anihilation of what the Maserati brand and all its racing heritage stands for?

What do you get if you cross a Nissan Juke with an Audi A7?

BbCtIhoHRO0

MaseratiKubangSalonediFrancoforte2011_33.jpg

2013-Maserati-Kubang-Rear-angel-View.jpg

MY EYES :eek:

The front of it looks OK, but brings you to the question WHY?!!!!

Money. Asian market.

But they're all being made in the USA, in the same factory as the Jeep.

Now last time a German manufacturer made their SUV in a Merican factory, look what happened. That was the first generation Mercedes ML :eek:

Change the badge and it could be any number of far-east SUV's..... and like others have said, basing it on the Cherokee is not a positive selling point at all.

Saw a Quattroporte on the way to the office this morning... proper sexy bit of kit and sounded magical trundling through traffic.... this is an accountant/shareholders putting wallet before heart

What a shame.

I do lots of work in the motor industry (2 major automotive clients) and one of them could sell their entire production output to China alone for two years. Makes you realise the amount of demand there is out there so they are major players with huge clout.

Calling TDK and his ad board!

I'm lost for words. A rare occurance.

I get why Maserati are doing it - it's the Asian market driving them, apparently, but holy smoke, is this the anihilation of what the Maserati brand and all its racing heritage stands for?

Racing heritage means nothing in Asia though, sadly, they want big ugly chrome things to show people how rich they are. That's all. This product highlights how the customer focus for major manufacturers is shifting from West to East. Sadly I think we'll see more monstrosities like this in future.