Fitness thread - Q1/12

Soulboy

Ok, first weigh in for 2012, 13 stone. I was 12 10 before Christmas so what with that and the New Year fun, a 4lb gain is ok with me. I've already started coming down as after the first week post Christmas I was up 6lb. Biking at the weekend and hoping to get some running gear when the mrs gets back Saturday. All good.

First weigh in for me too. Exactly the same as Luke :uhoh:

Put on 4lbs over Christmas (but have dropped 2 since new years day). So starting off at 15st 9.5lbs

So got to set some targets as I find it better to aim for something.

So, going for a 4/5/4 target...

4 weeks - 02/02/12 - 15st 5lbs

9 weeks - 08/03/12 - 15st

13 weeks - 05/04/12 - 14st 11lbs

Slow and steady wins the day with me. Going to continue to try and eat a bit more sensibly, get out for walks at lunch times a few times a week, exercise bike a couple of times a week at home and i'll dig out by dumb bells and do a bit of work on my arms shoulders to see if I can get a taste back for a bit of exercise. Breaking the 15st barrier will be a biggy for me and will make me the lightest i've been in a lot of years (8 or 9 I think). Mid term aim (maybe end of year) is to get down to 14st, that will match my crazy arse atkins diet I did about 11 years ago. If I can break that then i'll be the lightest i've been in my adult working life.

Fingers crossed.

Weekly Weigh-in Sat 7 Jan

Weight: 18st 12.75lb (-1.5lb)

Waist: 54.25in (-0.25in)

Walking: 13.1km

(Targets for Q1/12: 17st 7lb, 51.5in, ave 25km per week)

Decent start to the new year. Pleased at being straight on target with the weight loss - although I had just had a massive dump. :P

Need to get out walking more regularly again - over half that 13km was one walk on Monday.

I am down to 12st exactly as of this morning which I am very pleased with! I also ran a massive PB at 10K this morning which is fantastic - previous best was 55:20 back in November at the Greenwich Mo Run event, this morning I ran 46:21 in a club time trial 10K! :D

After a more adventurous night out than I was expecting on Wednesday, I resolved to cut out drinking. Then on my way home yesterday I remembered it was Friday. I'm hoping a run this afternoon will cure my hangover.

EDIT: Holy moly Sam, nice 10k time. I was hoping to break 50 mins next race, but now that's another level.

After a more adventurous night out than I was expecting on Wednesday, I resolved to cut out drinking. Then on my way home yesterday I remembered it was Friday. I'm hoping a run this afternoon will cure my hangover.

EDIT: Holy moly Sam, nice 10k time. I was hoping to break 50 mins next race, but now that's another level.

Sub-50 was my target, but I smashed that - I really am quite stunned! My 2nd 5km was 22:46 which makes my aim of sub-20 this year look somewhat more achievable than I'd thought!

Sub 20 min 5k is good club runner benchmark. As is the sub-40 10k. What you aiming for in the half? My pb is 1:40 for a half but could have pushed it to 1:36-1:38 since I felt good throughout. Mind you, that was when I was training for London 2006 and was clocking up 60-70 miles a week.

I've had a couple of calf injuries these last 2 months so can't run consistently plus I'm much heavier at the moment due to all the canoeing. Aiming to drop a stone or so in bulk so I can run a bit better.

Not sure Mondays are going to be best for my weigh in but hey I'll stick to it now i've started. Only managed a knock about game of squash last Monday in terms of exercise, will be doing more this week though.

Managed to stay off the biscuits and crap during office hours, which seems to be my nemesis. We made some home made veg soup too to use up the bits left over from Chrimbo, really filling and made another batch last night. Need to drink more water now to get up to my 2 litres a day allowance.

02/01/12 - 91.8Kg (Starting weight)

09/01/12 - 90.0Kg, down 1.8Kg

I meant to add this earlier. For those of you with iPhones (or others I suppose) there is a good app called MyNetDiary which allows you to add in food eaten and exercise taken. It then combines it with your BMR (base metabolic rate) based on some questions you answer and you can track what you are eating, what the ratio between the food types are (proteins, fats and carbs) and what your projection for weight loss based on this is.

A bit late to this thread but count me in.

Started a new job on the 1st of Dec and the office has a small gym which i joined for the first time today. Its been 9 years since i was last in one and after the session im now feeling a bit numb but tomorrow and the following days i am going to be dying! lol

Mon and Thurs lunch times is when i will be attending. Will post up weight etc later as a start point. +++

Sounds good, I've downloaded the free one to have a look see. Have you got the paid one, is it worth it?

It is an interesting tool - might make you think a bit more about what you eat and it is also quite fun putting stuff in and getting the app to work out where you are with a daily target. Can't remember how much it was but my logo says Pro on it so I guess I bought the full thing!

Weigh in week 1.

Last week 15st 9.5lbs

This week 15st 8lbs, lost 1.5lbs

Quite disappointed to be honest but no-one to blame but myself, I was hoping the be a good lb lighter than I am but had one mammoth bender with curry on friday night (not drunk since then though!) too much christmas crap left over in the cupboards that's been tempting me and hardly any exercise.

The weight lost is just post christmas water retention (I think) which is why I was hoping to get rid of more of it. Got another night out tomorrow night and then pub/football saturday. Going to have to pull out all the stops Sunday onwards to lose next week. Hoping that after that I can get a bit more on an even keel.

In the 12's again. Down to 12st 13lb. Just right amount of loss tbh. Been eating a bit more but doing more exercise. Last weeks bike ride shed about 900 calories if you believe the app!! Been doing more press ups, core stuff at home in the evenings. Hoping to get some trainers this weekend if I ever get a spare hour. All good though.

Did my second gym session in 9 years this afternoon! +++

I was still in pain from the Monday session but after getting on the rowing machine for 10 min warm up i started to loosen up a bit. A mate has knocked up a training plan for the 2 days i go.

Monday

Back

- Dead lifts 3 sets x 8 reps (did 60kg on my first session which seemed a bit heavy so will drop the weight a bit)

- Pull downs 2 sets x 8 reps (using 10kg)

- Seat Rows 2 sets x 8 reps (cant remember what kg i used)

Chest

- Flat Dumb Bell Press 3 sets x 8 reps

- Flat Flys 2 sets x 8 reps

Abs

- Captains Chair 3 sets x 30 sec (what on earth are they? lol)

- Crunches 3 sets x 30 sec

Thursday

Legs

- Squats 3 sets x 8 reps

- Leg Press 3 x 8 reps (used 10kg today)

- Calfs 3 sets x 30 reps

Shoulders

- Shoulder Press 3 sets x 8 reps (used 10kg)

- Side Raises 2 sets x 12 reps (used 7 kg)

- Front Raises 2 sets x 12 reps (used 7kg)

Once i get into it a bit more and my recovery time reduces i will start to go 3 times a week.

• bison unpinned this topic