Navigation System Professional 635D NAV MAP update + Speed cameras

SpiderMacK

Hi I'm looking for some advice regarding my 635d Navigation System Professional .

Initially I bought a CD/DVD to update the maps however I discovered that it's not a simple CD/DVD update . So my dealer was going to do the update which can take up to 4 hours.

Then I decided that I would like to update the unit to it to the latest map & also if possible add speed camera notifications.

I read on BMW's website that if you fit a BMW trackstar then there are two additional services available.

a) Regular updates to navigation map. This sounds good

and

b) Safe Speed which will alert the driver to speed camera locations.

I imagine there is an initial charge for installing the Trackstar followed by a subscription for

1) The Tracker.

2) NAV updates

3) Camera updates

Has anyone done this ?

I may have it wrong and a separate NAV unit would be required if so then I won't go down this path.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks and happy new year when it arrives

Happy new years folks & not many taker's for this post --- -

Anyhow I called in to my local dealer today & spoke to the person who deals with trackers.

In short there isnt anyway of intergating speed camera locations on my 635d SatNavProfessional system

The dealer could install a Trackstar tracker.

Then Trackstar would have to be contacted to install the addtional components: NAV updates, Speed camera notifications. If they were added they would be displayed on another unit. Not on the built in BMW Sat Nav Professional system

• 4 weeks later...

Just as an FYI. Our 55 plate 5 series had the pro SatNav and we bought some discs from a forum member (not this forum tho) with newer maps and Speed camera locations on for around £30.

No other updates were needed to make this work.

The reason we got it was becasue it's DVD based, and obviously therefore the maps were only correct up until the date the car was sold. So they would be (now) 7 years out of date. The fact that they also had speed camera locations on was a bonus.

Edited by Kell

Hi thanks for your reply - I also bought a DVD with MAP + camera for about £30 but it seemed to be no good for me unit, the SATNAV is loaded on the hard-drive I think, it's also teh latest i-drive mm not really sure. Anyhow £200 paid to dealer and new map loaded (it took 4 hours loading ) + I also got my pogo speed camear detector is wired in.

A side note I'm loving the car :-)

You can buy updated DVD disks as said above. I've a 2008 3 series and I've got a 2010 disk in it with speed cameras and 5 digit postcode lookup. I was under the impression that even with the CIC (HDD) systems that you could update them yourself by loading in the right disk.

Cheaper versions are available online although their authenticity might be doubtful. That said, they do work.