To decat or not decat?

GPSGPRS

I have an Audi A6 1.8T 1999 model, it requires a new exhaust, what would be the repercussions of decat-ing it at the same time?

Does the turbo require the back pressure of the cat, so it doesn't self destruct within 10 miles!

Posting in this forum as it's more of a generic question.

Thanks.

I know cats restrict power on the RS6, without cats and a remap they dyno at 530-40 BHP, I've even seen one do 556 BHP. a remap would only get them upto 505 BHP. So around around 30-35 BHP is to be gained. Not sure what it will be on the A6, I'm currently looking into sport cats which with the right remap it should have me at 540 BHP and a sub 4 sec 0-60 mark, and the main thing... I'll still be MOT/road legal.

From a technical point, no you don't need the cats, and the engine won't self destruct, if anything, it'll help the engine breathe better, which will possibly result in a few more bhp, and definitely if you have it mapped at the same time.

The only issue you'll have is at MOT time, some testers don't care or don't notice, but some will fail you, as removing the CAT is an MOT failure, I've never had a problem personally, but I do keep my cat in the shed in case I need to swap it back on for the MOT.

I've run my Cooper S without without a cat, if you can live with the extra noise and fumes then do it +++ I've got a sports cat now.

Under new MOT rules effective 1/1/12 as advisories, in force as fails from April 2012, CATALYTIC CONVERTERS missing where one is fitted as standard will fail!

it may also be illegal to run a car (which is meant to have one, Section 67 of the Road Traffic Act 1988) without a cat so look out for Police/VOSA emissions tests. Although they tend to pick on tuned cars such EVO's.

Edited by Andy_Bangle