Remap and exhaust

Mso1967

why would an aftermarket zorst company get it better than Porsche? You will however get a better noise. Enjoy.

The argument is not that they are better at designing exhausts, but that they don't have to adhere to the compromises that Porsche do with regards to sound, vibration and harshness levels, and are therefore able to extract more power because the exhaust is aimed at someone who doesn't mind annoying the neighbours.

On a car like yours, which is already pretty hardcore, there probably isn't much to gain from an exhaust alone, but a Boxter S isn't exactly targeted at your average track day enthusiast, so is more likely to benefit, especially when (as the op mentioned) it's combined with an air filter and remap.

When I had the csl I put a map , new zorst, 100 cell cats etc. the car lost power from stock. Taking the map off brought it back to normal. My point is this small changes on an n/a engine do bugger all in power or outright speed. Did the same on the r32 (amd 270 conversing thinkit was called), thought it was great until had a play with another r32 and there was nothing in it.

All I'm trying to say is don't expect it to make the car faster but expect a more deeper burble. :)

The tuning company doing mine have done loads of these tuning packages and an average final bhp they see is about 310 320bhp at the flywheel with a car that revs quicker through the gears better pick up and more torque across the rev range. Will see what the car is producing before the mods and after but there will be a good gain in bhp and it's not about final figures it's how the car drives afterwards that matter!! And if it isn't any good ill be asking for a refund!!!!!!!!

Edited by Mso1967

30-40bhp gain from an exhaust, chip and filter on a N/A engine?

:roflmao:

And how will they know the flywheel output? - you can only get an accurate flywheel reading if you take the engine out and run it on a bench.

What they'll do to 'prove' it is press the 'fiddle' button on their dyno which fudges the wheel to flywheel conversion..... which is why you read of Citroen Saxos with impossibly high BHP claims.

The car will 'feel' faster because it'll be louder, so it's going to be very hard to claim that it hasn't worked.

30-40bhp gain from an exhaust, chip and filter on a N/A engine?

:roflmao:

And how will they know the flywheel output? - you can only get an accurate flywheel reading if you take the engine out and run it on a bench.

What they'll do to 'prove' it is press the 'fiddle' button on their dyno which fudges the wheel to flywheel conversion..... which is why you read of Citroen Saxos with impossibly high BHP claims.

The car will 'feel' faster because it'll be louder, so it's going to be very hard to claim that it hasn't worked.

Afriad I believe there is truth in this. On an na car there is little if anythng that can be gained. What can be changed is the throttle map, which can make the car feel faster, but actually isn't. Only way to really tell is to time the car. Dynos have s many variables it's very hard to get a true picture. On the csl one said 370bhp, another said 333bhp!

I can believe that you might pick up 10bhp from an intake and exhaust. That's about the figure I got on the 2.7 engine I have just had built when we upgraded the headers, intake and silencer. You do also get a huge boost in aural delight.

Also, remapping a n/a to just run on higher octane unleaded might give you a few more bhp, but probably only 3 or 4. You also risk not being able to find that fuel from time to time...

The 987 S is a quick enough car anyway. Improving the induction noise and exhaust is a nice thing to do, but the remap maybe unnecessary expenditure to be honest.

The Boxster is designed to handle rather than be a straight line speed car. I have no doubt that around a twisty track a stock 987S would easily keep up with my 997. No doubt at all.

Can only generally agree with Twinspark and Woppum, although I do believe there will be a small gain, but almost impossible to prove on a dyno, all they have to do is adjust the ambient temp setting (think that's the one) and it makes the car look much more powerful than it really is.

On a turbo engined car (petrol or diesel) there are good gains to be had, but I also believe there are gains to be had on N/A cars, just a lot smaller.

I'm not hugely surprised that you saw little, if any, gain remapping a CSL to be honest, as that would be supplied with a pretty aggressive map from the factory, a 'normal' M3 might possibly have more to gain?

Not going to attempt a re map on the Carrera S.

Scared myself today. PSM saved me for sure, at about 70, lifting.... Slightly damp.

Won't sleep well tonight.

I dI'd that in the rs last wk on salty roads, suddenly had zero grip at the front, then back!

m3 is much easier!

Just drove the car home after Turner Race Developments done the re map filter and milltek cat back exhaust and what a difference this has made to the car, its not been on a RR as the re map was very mild so don't know what the car made before the work was done or after, but I would say an easy 30bhp increase. After having a number of NA cars before this that I had similar work done the Porsche is way ahead in power increase I was very surprised at how the car performs, and how it revs through the gears it has totally changed the driving of the car well worth doing!!!!!!!