Offical: Audi RS4 Avant

Andy_Bangle

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And it'll be about as achievable as me collecting gold in this summer's women's beach volleyball at the Olympics.

It's absolute nonsense to expect that car to return that mpg with everyday use.

AGree . Most prob. A load of balls. Which is. Shame

Well I'm going to be positive; I like it and miss my B7 so after 2 years in a sensible run around I will most prob be on the look out for one a few months old like last time.

To say it has not moved on much from the B7 is no bad thing really! If it's as good and new then fine by me. Let's be honest how many horses do we need on a day to day basis? It will suit my needs fine and I like the look of it.

Suspect it will return better MPG than the B7 so that's also good (FSI tech etc) A 4.2 V8 is never going to get high MPG so if you want a V8 and 420 BHP then get over it!

Hmmmmmmmmmm - very tempted.

One of the points Chris Harris was making was that it was actually a backward move in terms of torque.

I loved the B7 RS4. One of the best cars I have ever driven, and I got really really close to buying one a few years back.

I just think this had the opportunity to be another ground breaking RS model, and it appears to almost be a facelift.

That said, there will be more reviews on their way this week I should imagine for a more balanced view. I will also see if I can get a drive in one soon.

Just used the Configurator on the Audi UK website, and to get a similar spec to my B7 RS4 Avant (which cost me £53k new in 2006) would cost me £68k - I'm sorry that's stupid money (and an almost 25% increase in 6 years).

Price hike is in line with most cars sadly.

Isn't that just maximising profits which is why companies exist in the first place?

Prices will climb and climb until people stop buying. Remember the big price hike for M3's? I'm not sure if it affected sales but I bet the extra revenue more than covered any lost sales.

The price of flagship models can never be justified just in the same way a First Class plane tickets can't. People kid themselves that the service/goods they get are what it cost plus a reasonable profit margin but in many cases there's a much larger chunk of profit of the higher end services/goods.

Of the extra cost on the RS4 I wonder how much if for the faster/better product and how much is just keeping shareholders happy.

I used to think that the B7 RS4 was expensive but now I've moved up to a £95k car, I feel that the B8 seems the right price - the market has moved up appreciably of late.

It looks fine to me with the only real question whether to go for DRC and/or 20" wheels from a driving perspective and then various cosmetic bits. Personally I would still keep it under £60k list. I wonder what discounts will be available give the deals on RS5?

The only two drawbacks I see are the bland and narrow range of 'regular' colours and the inability to order a larger fuel tank. My car has a V8 engine but an 86 litre tank. 61 litres is just too small.

I think the worlds gone mad. 25% price rises at a time when average wage are actually shrinking from a fairly humble £26k a year in the UK.

That said, there are discounted models I suppose, and credit still seems readily available to anyone on cars, if that's what like.

credit still seems readily available to anyone on cars, .

Yep. Even now the scummiest of the scum still get accepted by dodge pot companies. I thought when Welcome Finance went pop that was the end of sub prime car finance but it appears that there are plenty more fools that are eager to be parted from their money. That goes for the customers and the finance companies!!!

Crackers!!

Just used the Configurator on the Audi UK website, and to get a similar spec to my B7 RS4 Avant (which cost me £53k new in 2006) would cost me £68k - I'm sorry that's stupid money (and an almost 25% increase in 6 years).

Ohh not good

Hello Dave, hope you are well .. Andy

I think the worlds gone mad. 25% price rises at a time when average wage are actually shrinking from a fairly humble £26k a year in the UK.

Totally agree.

Price inflation is running at around 6% per annum, wage DEFLATION for the vast majority of people (except for those with their snouts in the trough) is running at 2% - so unless you work in banking or are a senior manager/director in a FTSE100 company then you have been getting WORSE off by around 8% per year for several years now.

Prices will climb and climb until people stop buying. Remember the big price hike for M3's? I'm not sure if it affected sales but I bet the extra revenue more than covered any lost sales.

On that point I completely agree. That was the start of it in my opinion. BMW smashed the price up and people still bought. However, and I won't be surprised if this happens with the RS4 as well, the smart buyers got very good deals used 18-24 months down the line. The likes of Mac and Andrew bought what were still almost-new £55k cars for a lot less money and this is where I'd be looking if I wanted an RS4. Wait, hold patient, and be the recipient of a good deal once all the hype has died down.

The price of flagship models can never be justified just in the same way a First Class plane tickets can't.

But on that, I complete disagree. We flew return First Class to Mauritius and we'll be doing the same to/from Dubai. I wouldn't go long haul or close to it without doing so. It completely and utterly changes the whole experience of a holiday, the comfort is in a different league and it takes away any sense of "Oh god, how long is the flight?" about going to far flung places. To us, it's worth every penny in terms of how much nicer it makes the whole experience.

The safety car at Le Mans this year is an Audi RS4.

Just had a prolonged period of SC, and I was surprised to see that it had to be replaced by an R8, so the RS4 could go and refuel...Seriously.

:D

Never seen that before. Mind you, the laps are 8 miles long...

But on that, I complete disagree. We flew return First Class to Mauritius and we'll be doing the same to/from Dubai. I wouldn't go long haul or close to it without doing so. It completely and utterly changes the whole experience of a holiday, the comfort is in a different league and it takes away any sense of "Oh god, how long is the flight?" about going to far flung places. To us, it's worth every penny in terms of how much nicer it makes the whole experience.

I'm not saying the individual can't justify the cost. I'm saying that the price is more based on what the market will pay rather than the underlying costs. Admittedly this applies to everything but I believe more so on the top tier products/services.

These days though for first class the cost is justified or at least you can understand why it's the price it is. A first class lie flat bed can easily take 3 or 4 seats worth of space equivalent to economy. Add the extra staff that look after 1st, the drinks the space of the bar on some aircraft now and even the extra weight of the luggage and it's no so expensive.

A seat to Florida might cost say £650 in economy so that's say £2600 worth of space, add to that a section of the bar area and the additional luggage allowance or even the limousine service to get you there and the extra staff etc and a £4000 1st class ticket isn't so bad. Yes they can cost far more on some occasions but there doesn't seem to be an exorbitant premium.

A friend won't go back to anything other than 1st now he has tasted it's advantages he has the same view as MrMe.

so unless you work in banking or are a senior manager/director in a FTSE100 company then you have been getting WORSE off by around 8% per year for several years now.

I disagree. It's not as cart blanche as that.

+ 1

Edited by JonC

That said, there are discounted models I suppose, and credit still seems readily available to anyone on cars, if that's what like.

What makes you think they care that much about the uk. Their market today would be v different to even 2007. My guess is Audi , like all the other manafacturors have pitched their cars right. I'm not happy but it seems the reality .

We are their 4th biggest market with the second highest profit margins for them....

My point was generic anyway, aimed at the UK goods market in general.

I simply think that prices (for most consumables) in the UK and Europe have surpassed levels of longer term sustainability.

I think this is indicative of 10 years of easy credit, credit that now has been, or is being removed (although as I and Booster commented, it still seems available for cars to 'anybody').