Canon 5D Mark III about to be released

CarMad

Don't think the pricing has gone down too well looking on the forums - most people are saying not enough of an upgrade to justify the hike. The one thing that jumps out for me, it still can't shoot as fast as the 7d in terms of fps and the x-sync speed isn't as quick either. I appreciate it's got other benefits though.

The FPS doesn't need to be as fast is a Full frame camera so shouldn't be and you now get the focusing from the 1DX, that is never going to be cheap to implement.

Plus it's meant to be up to 2 stops better in low light, personally I think its a huge improvement and I already own a 5D2.

As for the price it will drop down to close to 2K before long and to get pro level focusing and what's regarded as one of the best sensors in the business what's not to like.

I should have said is rarely as fast. Most 1Ds used by sports guys are on crop sensors so a smaller mirror, the 7D is smaller again.

Try a crop camera and then pick up a 5D and the slap of the mirror is quite a significant jolt more, there is a fair bit of weight to shift about. Personally FPS isn't important, many pros don't keep their finger pressed hopping to get the right shot they take the picture like a game keep shoots just firing off a few shots.

When I do Motorsport shots I often only shoot one shot as a car goes right the one framed how I want it to be not the one before or after it, I don't want to sift through all of those 21mpix shots when I get home.

I just read this mini review of the 5D3, it seems there will me nowhere to hide!

So are there any negatives to owning this camera? Maybe just one. You will lose the ability to blame the camera for any shortcomings in your own photographic ability. The camera is what every Canon user has been waiting for and then some.

Used for tracking and for the first time some will sit on the lines of thirds as they don't on the current 5D.

The outer points on the 5d2 aren't cross point so aren't the best for focus lock but the centre point is. On a full frame if you are at F1.8 you can't focus and reframe in the same way as you can on a crop as the image will be out of focus as the focus plane is so narrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah it's very nice I've had a play with one albeit very briefly and the focusing is much improved.

There are some improvements in the sensor but it's not massive unless you only shoot jpg which I don't.

However it is very expensive compared to the II but if you have the money then why not. Me I will wait I need more glass not a better body.

I expect I'd only end up upgrading because I could. Which is no real reason.

It's the same no reason i went from a 550d to a 7d though and i'll be damned if it's going to stop me there!

Sad part is, i think i took better photos on the 550d when i wasn't trying to use all 1967AF point and 7 trillion frames per second.

So when can i actually buy a 5d mk3 then? :)

Some items they used to stock in the UK but I'm not sure if they do that now, fairly certain they also have a UK office.

If I was to get anything from an HK supplier it would be them I'd use, but to be honest for something like an expensive camera and the potential for servicing of any problems I'd personally buy it from a supplier in the country you live in. +++

If you've ever been to HK, you'd probably think twice about it, but I guess if the reviews are ok they must be legit.

I've done the wandering about getting ever lower prices from the hundreds of electronics stores on the mainland thing, and the prices end up so low that you just know your about to get stitched up, I ended up buying my stuff from one of the Fortress chains on the island instead.

I've been to HK and turned away from buying a lens because it was way to cheap and I didn't want to be at home with £1,000 of a glass paper weight.

Digital Rev has been around for years and isn't a small firm ripping people off. However for me Id still source expensive gear from the UK, filters or £200 ish lenses I might give them a try.