Not your typical parent v child problem

Calm Chris

So happy to read that things are moving in the right direction Chris. It seems like the new family tasks you've put in place are helping too. I can't imagine how bad things must have felt at times but lets all hope that things keep getting better now. I'm sure with the new activities and the knowledge that she can talk to you or her counsellors at any time that the social aspect of life will start becoming much less scary for her.

+++

• 2 years later...

Well after 26 months of moving onward, upward and generally getting on with life this week she repeated her action.

She's been on a low dose mood calmer for 18 months or so, unknown to us 3 weeks ago she decided she was ok and stopped taking the daily med.

Tuesday night her brain went pop and she decided life wasn't worth living. Paracetamol x 30 this time. She's in a medical ward and hopefully home on Monday.

Doctors have said there's no physical damage which is a positive. On the mental health side she's regressed, however when she restarts the regime of meds at least (this time) she will have the sense to understand the benefits of taking them.

Life is hard sometimes.

Blimey, I had missed this thread!

TSN at is best. Giving a member somewhere non judgemental to air their emotions. And support from people who have mostly never met, but are still like long term friends.

I know you don't want sympathy Chris, but I feel your hurt. Its choked me up reading this thread.

Just a couple of my thoughts:

I know at that age, I would have wanted to discuss things with people who aren't my parents, so I see why they have to have confidential counselling.

I am also aware that SH is a way of blocking out the present with something more sensational. I saw the post about Go Ape etc. How did that go down?

Could you try and get her into some adrenalin sport?

I am a strong believer in combat sports for young people (but obviously I have no idea what your daughter is like) would she take to Thai boxing or similar?

I started training boxing to get my nephews out of a life of sinking into drugs etc, when they left home to live with mates in their teens. It was all going downhill fast. They took to boxing and got off on the excitement of it (especially sparring). Over the last 6 years it had transformed them. They are now both health freeks and barely even drink. It works wonders for self discipline and especially confidence. My brother hated them doing it at first as he didn't understand it, he thought it was just learning to fight, but recently thanked me. It worked wonders for them (and me).

If people are struggling and need to override feelings with more acute sensations (drugs/self harm/drinking) I truly believe adrenalin sport can fill the void in some cases.

I wish you and her all the best Chris.

Edited by Soulboy
  • Like 1

I'm so sorry to read this Chris, I sincerely hope your daughter finds her way sometime very very soon. Mental health issues can be very challenging, complex and hard to find the best way to live with, without affecting day to day, And looking to the future and the lives of those around closest to her. I havn't got any answers I can think of to help you but I will be thinking of you all x

• Like 1

Spoke a bit too soon. They Doctors are now quite concerned about her liver, she's now on two drips and due an ultra sound scan to see what damage has been done.

The suggestion being that it's not well and she may well end up in the Royal Free liver unit and need a liver transplant. Won't know until later this afternoon.

BTW I pulled down a location stat on FB earlier, although the remarks were positive from the few posters the audience on my FB includes family and friends that I don't want to give any knowledge of detail to.

Thanks for the posts since yesterday, fingers and toes crossed.

Really sorry Chris, I hope your wife and yourself have support of friends and family (and us of course) to help you through.   I really hope some more positive news comes your way this afternoon and the damage caused can recover in time, for your daughters sake as well as you all.

I don't want to detract from your post in any way, shape or form but I really do feel for you all as my mum lost her sister in very similar circumstances, (selfishly, possibly a bit harsh for me to say but hey) leaving behind 5 children.  I was only around 5/6 at the time so don't know why, it's something we don't really talk about as a family but did leave a huge gap and still does.

I've got everything crossed for you all x 

• Like 1