Job interviews and long-term health issues

Twinspark

As many of you will probably have read (or maybe not), I had a heart attack in Feb. 2011 at the age of 36.

I'm now in the process of applying for, and being interviewed for a job I really want (it's a retail sector I've worked in before, have a huge interest in, and the company is massive within the sector).

However, I'm worried about the line between full disclosure of facts - and misleading a potential employer.

Now, if I'm directly asked about health issues, then I obviously have to declare the state of play. If they don't ask, would it be seen as deliberately not disclosing vital facts?

Just to complete the picture - since returning to work at the start of April 2011, I haven't had a single day off sick (and have performed better than ever, professionally, with my region finishing top of the business for year on year sales growth last year), have lost nearly 2 stone, go training 4 times a week (1 night circuits and 3 mornings in the gym / pool before work) and have run a 5km charity run. My cardiologist and GP have effectively signed me off as not requiring any further treatment - but I will continue to have annual checks at the hospital and 6 monthly checks with the GP for the rest of my life, and will also continue to take a cocktail of tablets to prevent any more issues.

The interview is Thursday (I'm currently working on a bloody SWOT analysis on a site for them...), so I'm kind of wondering how to play it.

As somebody who regularly employs people, I would say glance over it. If they ask directly say you had some health problems, sure, but don't run in to any great detail. There's no real end game there other than prejudice and rejection. Let's face it, a job is a job.

What's the average staff turn over in your sector? In technical IT it's around 18 months to 3 years on average, so usually on interview we focus on that average turn over in terms of health/ability assessment. To be fair, our average retention is about 6 years which is astonishing in this sector. If you don't think you could meet the average retention rate for the sector then maybe you have a reasonable cause to talk about it, but other than that, it's a personal issue that should be utterly ignored.

Reversing it - if I employed somebody in your apparent situation, and after 18 months they disappeared off through health issues - I'd spend more time wishing them well then I would feeling done over.

Go for your life mate, don't feel guilty in business.

I'd go exactly as you have described it here. If you are not asked , don't tell. If you are asked and have to describe the situation you should tell the full story that you have the all clear from the doc, are fit and well and it is not an issue the firm should be concerned over.

....and now for a less clinical reply:

Christ on a bike, wow? There must have been some underlying issues before hand right? That's properly awful.

[/color]

It was completely undetected by doctors. I struggled up stairs and stuff at times, but just put it down to the smoking.

Anyway, I've had 2 stent ops. And seem to be largely in better shape than I have been in over a decade. My heart capacity is 25% down now, but my gym work is helping to compensate for that.

If they're a large company will they ask you to have a company medical anyway?

As an employer I wouldn't expect you to tell me. You don't have to and you've been told by professionals that matters are under control. I wouldn't feel you'd betrayed trust or misled me. Some things are personal and should remain so. An employer has to accept that.

By the way, hope the recovery continues as well as it sounds it has to date.+++

I don't believe there's a medical - but I do know my current lot ask a load of screening questions on an application form (which they have filled in by everyone up to director level, to cover themselves legally).

Which is why I have some doubts as to what to do - they will be interviewing me before I fill in any paperwork, so all I'm afraid of is it biting me on the arse when I do fill something in.... 'you should have disclosed this'.

I'm probably worrying about nothing - but I have a suspicion that my issues last year had an impact on my rejection for an internal move recently.

Yeah, I mean actually discharged bar scheduled check ups.

Sat outside the interview venue now... Due in at 12.30... Agent just called to wish me luck. Sounds like very few people get this far. <crosses fingers>

That's good of the agent (although they will get dosh from it) but it's still a nice touch.

Hope it goes well!

Seemed to go quite well, but I'm not sure the company are what I expected.

At the point he told me 'our area managers work a cycle of 6 day / 5 day weeks' and explained it was a 'benefit, as you get every other weekend off', I pretty much decided it wasn't for me.

Especially as I only work 5 days, and only work 1 Saturday in 8 at the moment.

It would be a 25% pay rise - plus some serious bonus and share potential. But would possibly see me in a wooden box within a couple of years.

So over the course of 8 weeks you'd work an extra 3 days (44 days instead of 41) and you'd get a 25% pay increase and other benefits.

I don't see why that's so bad at all, they're certainly remunerating you well for those extra days, given its a circa 8% increase in working days.

Christ - you really do love your holidays more than we thought !!!

I love living and not being in a wooden box in the ground more than I love a 25% pay rise

There's a strong suspicion that my previous life as a regional account manager - long days, little time off, was a big contributory factor in my heart attack.

Would the new job be a stressful one? As the area manager?

It would be fairly stressful, but in terms of KPIs, no more stressful than what I do at the moment.

But... they reckon every week you'll have to attend a stocktake in one of your stores, which is a 12-16 hour day - plus they were talking of 10-12 hours on 'normal' days.

I'm not sure that's legal under the working time directive, but it's certainly exploitative - no number of incentives can compensate for a business that is essentially treating their management as disposable.

Oh, it definitely has been positive.

My boss ensures I don't work too hard (by phoning me and telling me off if she thinks I have! she hassles me if I miss my gym sessions, too...), plus I've lost 2 stone and run a 5km charity run, which is something I haven't been capable of in a decade.

Quick update.

I didn't get through the interview - they interviewed a couple of people on the same day who had relevant 'fashion and clothing experience'.

Now, considering I have largely worked for food retailers during my career, why the ****ing hell did they drag me to an interview in the first place?

Mind you, I also think that sticking to my guns over salary, rather than accepting their con of shares as part of a salary sacrifice scheme may also have been an influence.

On reflection, when you consider the behaviour and reputation of the business owner, it probably wasn't the best place to go anyway.